Reload this Page >

Comments on hotel: Home Plazza Bastille in Paris

Old Aug 31st, 2003, 06:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Everyone,

This is my first trip to Paris. I am staying at the hotel, Home Plazza Bastille. Has anyone stayed there or does anyone have any comments about that hotel? I want to stay in a hotel with friendly staff and nice rooms. Also, I understand the French people can be "NOT customer friendly" and rude. Any suggestions on friendly areas in paris for fun and shopping?

Thanks!

Pisan.
Old Aug 31st, 2003, 11:43 PM

Haven't stayed there but I looked it up at tripadvisor.com just now:
If this is the All Suites Home Plazza Bastille (on 74, Rue Amelot) it has gotten some very diverse reviews. But it sounds to me like there are more negative than positive comments.

You may want to read and decide for yourself. Tripadvisor, then go to Europe, Paris and type in the name of your hotel.

If you are now too unsure about your choice of accommodation, tell us Fodorites how much you want to spend and what's important to you.

I personally just came back last night from two days in Paris. We stayed in the Saint Germain area ( a couple of steps from Metro station Odeon) and LOVED it! Lots of bars and restaurants, art galeries small streets, easy walking to Notre Dame, Ile Saint Louis, the Louvre.
Old Sep 1st, 2003, 05:46 AM

I stayed at the Home Plazza Bastille in March 1999 (so take my comments with a grain of salt, a hotel can change dramatically in 4 + years).

Our room was brand-new at the time. It was very spacious, particularly for European standards. Mattress, linens, curtains were all brand new and they had a very pretty provencal motif (yellows, rusts, oranges, reds). The room had a king size bed, a small kitchenette, a small table with two chairs, two large windows (french balcony on one of them) and a twin size bed at the entrance that we used as a couch. Bathroom was nice and had a tub and a bidet (brand new). Location was calm, as room faced a spacious interior courtyard. Buffet breakfast was great.

Location was good too - walking distance from the Marais but not in a touristy area. If this is one of your first times to Paris, you may want to stay somewhere closer to the sights (in the 5th, 6th or 7th arrondisments). I studied in Paris when I was in college, so I was happy taking the metro or walking to museums, etc.

Parisians are rarely rude. They won't be friendly and talkative in an American sense (they don't know you so why should they talk to you?), but they won't be rude.
Old Sep 1st, 2003, 07:22 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, Kascha912 & Mariarosa.

I appreciate your feedback. I love to walk and plan on doing a lot of it while in Paris.

I still have some time to find other hotels. I want to stay in Marais/Bastille area. ANy other suggestions for hotels? I really would like a 3-4 star and a nightly cost up to 180.00 per night. (not including taxs, etc).

Thak you!

Albert
Old Sep 1st, 2003, 02:41 PM

My family and I stayed at the Home Plaza Bastille December 2000-January 2001 and loved it. The room was very spacious (triple)and had a small kitchette with table and chairs. The refrigerator was really nice to have. The courtyard leading to the room was really scenic. The buffet breakfast was great. The waite staff was very friendly. Access to the metro is about 1 block over and very convenient and had access to both directions. They do have a nice resturant in the hotel, but if you like Italian try the "hole in the wall" resturant right across the street. We really enjoyed our stay in Paris and loved this hotel.
Old Sep 1st, 2003, 06:41 PM

That's really more a suite or "aparthotel" than a regular hotel, and that seems to be why a lot of people go there -- such as those with kids.

There aren't really a lot of 3-4* hotels in that area, so that does narrow your choices. In the Marais, I think the Hotel de la Bretonnerie and Caron de Beaumarchais are rated as some of the better 3* hotels -- the only 4* in that area is too expensive for your budget, I imagine (Pavillon de la Reine). There is only one 4* hotel in the close-in 11th I can think of -- the Holiday Inn Republique but even that is north and I wouldn't call that area really the Marais/Bastille area, although it's not far.

There is a nice 3* hotel, the Grand Hotel Francais in the 11th, but it's more towards the Nation metro stop. I've heard that is a very nice and good value hotel.

You can read about those on tripadvisor, I think. I thought the Axial Beaubourg might be a possibility for a 3* in the area you want, but it's gotten fairly bad reviews on there (although a few good ones, I gather the Axial problem is mainly very small rooms).
Old Sep 2nd, 2003, 03:26 AM

Hi Pisan,
I can't comment on the friendliness of the staff in the following hotels, but I wanted to share some of the research I did before we booked the Hotel Left Bank Saint Germain (www.leftbanksaintgermain.com). (Loved it!)

Since you'd like to stay in the Marais-Bastille area take a look at these.
Allready mentioned, the Caron de Beaumarchais: http://www.carondebeaumarchais.com/summary.html
More modern elements mixed in, the Axial Beaubourg http://www.axialbeaubourg.com/
The Hotel Bretonnerie's homepage seems to be unavailable right now (labretonnerie.com), so try this one for a first impression: www.bretonnerie.com
Also Hotel Beaubourg (http://www.hotelbeaubourg.com/en/index.htm) and Hotel Pavillon (http://www.france-paris.com/Pavillon).

If you'd also consider staying in the 5th or 6th - just on the other side of the Seine with heaps of Cafes and restaurants and small shops and art galleries, take a look at these:
Hotel Saint-German-des-Pres (www.hotel-paris-saint-germain.com), Hotel du College du France (www.hotel-collegedefrance.com), Hotel du Levant (www.hoteldulevant.fr) and Hotel Le Jardin de Cluny (www.bw-paris-hotels.com/jardin/eng/).

While looking for our hotel I realized that it really is a good thing to mail the hotels directly and ask whether there's a special offer or promotional rate available - surprisingly often they quoted better rates than advertised.

This last weekend has been my first time to this fascinating city as well, and I liked the hop-on-hop-off bus tour as it gave me a prett ygood orientation and overview. We did it with les Cars Rouge but I have to admit that the L'Open Tour might have been better (they have a whole lot more stops to begin with.).
And have you already come across the bike tours of Paris? (www.parisvelosympa.com/GB/index.html)
One last site I liked a lot: http://www.paris-eiffel-tower-news.com/

Well, I'm sure you'll have a great time!
Kascha