Good value bistros in Paris?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13th, 2007, 05:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now that the dollar has sunk to an all time low, what would be some good value bistros in Paris? Lets say $30 or less?
Old Nov 13th, 2007, 07:06 AM

If you send an email to this address, you will receive a 22-page 'ebook' called "Selection of 80 Inexpensive and Good Paris Restaurants", compiled by Paris Eiffel Tower News.

[email protected]

http://www.beauxvoyages.com/ParisRest.html
Old Nov 13th, 2007, 07:08 AM

$30 per person?
Old Nov 13th, 2007, 07:26 AM
Original Poster

Haha yes $30 a person, OK $35?
Old Nov 13th, 2007, 07:32 AM

So, since we're in Europe, 20-24€ per person.
Old Nov 13th, 2007, 07:42 AM

I would recommend Les Cocottes in the 7th. It is not a traditional bistro per se. But a fun casual spot with high bar stool type seating. It shares the kitchen with Chistian Constant's Le Vilon d'Ingres an upscale bistro. The food is very good classic bistro fare like salad lyonaise, duck confit and pot au veau with some modern touches and very reasonable. Good house wines sold in 25cl, or 50cl caraffes. Constant himself is around making sure everyone is enjoying themselves. There is also Cafe Constant and his small seafood spot named Fables Fontaine or something like that all on the same block of Rue Saint Dominique.
Old Nov 13th, 2007, 08:17 AM

I once stumbled upon Polidor (near where Ralph Ellison stayed when he lived in Paris), and I've been back since -- I generally prefer the historic restaurants, and Polidor dates to the 19th century. Its also inexpensive.

Old Nov 13th, 2007, 09:34 AM

Richard,
Your question is of particular interest to me. Yesterday I was on a flight from Rome to Paris seated next to a man from Paris.

We discussed Rome restaurants and I commented how much more Paris dinners are compared to Rome. He was shocked (!) and asked why I would say that. We usually spend around 60 euros for a good dinner in Rome, but in Paris more like 110 euros. (Granted, in Paris we usually order kir royales before dinner. But still a big difference.)

I didn't get specific restaurant names from him. But he thinks it is due to our eating mostly in the 5th and 6th at named restaurants. He did mention that Montparnasse is a good option for reasonable prices. In his opinion, a GOOD dinner for 2 can easily be had for 60 euros.
Old Nov 13th, 2007, 09:58 AM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
Try Chez Fernand on rue Christine. It cost us a little bit more per person, but we had some extra vino and champagne that upped the bill. Food was very, very good!

Old Nov 13th, 2007, 10:11 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Try "Au Bougnat" at 26 Chanoinesse, about 2 blocks from Notre Dame. The rib eye and frites or the daily price fix menu were very, very good.

Our other favorites "Sorza" Rue St.Loiis-en-l'ile,"Le Fleur En Ile"on the corner at the bridge of St. Louis-en l'ile, and our all time favorite--"Marco Polo" at 8 Rue de Conde. We have been to all of these many times during our frequent trips to Paris.
Bon Apetite!
Old Nov 13th, 2007, 10:15 AM

I think the above post is referring to a price for two people, but it's not du to eating in the 5th arr., as that is not that expensive a restaurant quarter, that's for sure, unless you're going to la Tour d'Argent. It probably is due to going to well-known or "named" restaurants which I guess means ones written up in magazine article or guidebooks, etc. 50 euro for dinner in Paris if you want an aperitif isn't that unusual, though. I rarely spend that much (don't like kirs, but drink plenty of wine with dinner), but 40 euro isn't hard for me nowadays.

Don't agree about Montparnasse being a mecca for bargains, and I often stay there -- it depends where you eat. Sure, it may be better than St Germain, but there aren't tons of cheap restaurants there. There isn't anything magical about dining in Montparnasse compared to the 5th or 5th in terms of cost. There are some expensive restaurants there, or more than 25 euro, that's for sure. Le Dome, Closerie des Lilas, Coupole are no cheaper there than counterparts in other areas (like other Brasserie Flo places) if that's the kind of place you want to go. I think Chez Fernand in Montparnasse is the same price as the one in St Germain.

20 euro for a complete dinner in Paris is a little below what I can think of easily -- for a full menu, including drinks. But last summer I was staying near Trinite metro stop in the 9th, and there were a couple cafes near my hotel that did have very reasonable menus and would have something in that range. I wouldn't say the food was outstanding, of course, but it was okay.

One place I liked pretty well is La Rotonde right across from the church near the metro stop on the east side of the street. Across the street from the church (facing south) is a cafe/restaurant I think is called Royal Trinite (right next to rue de la Chaussee d'Antin), and it was in that price range, also. I liked La Rotonde better, but both were okay.
Old Nov 13th, 2007, 10:50 AM

Do a search here for Paris cheap restaurants. You will find much to read. There have been quite a few threads on the topic
Old Nov 13th, 2007, 10:53 AM

A good plan is to choose items from the fixed cost "menus" that some restaurants will offer. Complete meal and cheaper than a-la-carte.

Since restos post menus outside, easier to know costs before going in.

I eat breakfast at a cafe versus hotel, I believe it is cheaper.

I sometimes let my lunch be a nice sandwich and a sweet, saving my big meal for dinner.