Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

11.11.11.11.11. - Verdun Now a Day Trip from Paris?

Nov 13th, 2007, 06:13 AM
Original Poster

Though i haven't checked train schedules, with the opening of the new TGV-Est highspeed line i would not be surprised if Verdun is just a few hours from Paris by train.

In any case the recent Veterans Day marking the end of the War to End All Wars on Nov 11, at the 11th minute of the 11th hour reminded me of my Verdun experience.

Verdun was of course where Axis and Allied forces stalled against each other for a few years i think - each digging in literally into trenches and then suffering some of the greatest horrors of any war ever - mustard gassing, flame throwers to burn folks in the trenches, incredible mud and disease, etc.

And the sparwling battlefield is still all there - you can see trenches and appreciate how awful this war was - and rather needless in that it was probably the last european war of strictly political desires and not ideologies like we have now.

Anyway a visit to Verdun is a sobering and enlightening experience both. Not sure how folks with cars can get to the battlefields a few miles out of town but assume there are mini-bus tours like in D-Day areas.
Nov 13th, 2007, 06:29 AM

I have a great-uncle who served in WWI and have a little booklet of pictures of Verdun (actually what was left after the war) that he brought back with him. It's titled something like "L'Heroique Verdun."

I don't know if my great-uncle actually fought in Verdun but it's something I've always wanted to see.
Nov 13th, 2007, 06:40 AM

p.s. -

totally agree with PalenQ that a trip to Verdun is a very worthwhile and moving experience. The ossuary alone is quite a sight to behold.

Nov 13th, 2007, 09:06 AM

Actually it's 11.11, 11:00 for the armistice.

It's eleven minutes later at 11.11. 11:11 when the carneval starts in the Rhineland in Germany.
Nov 13th, 2007, 09:38 AM

I believe the battle is more correctly described as between the French and German armies. One million dead, another million wounded.

Alistair Horne wrote a brilliant popular history, The Price of Glory.
Nov 13th, 2007, 11:42 AM

Axis is a W.W.II term, Verdun is a W.W.I battle site.