Paris proposal

Old Jul 14th, 2011, 11:18 AM
Original Poster

Paris proposal

I want to propose to my girlfriend in Paris at le Jules Verne in the Eiffel tower restaurant. I am looking for another awesome options.
Old Jul 14th, 2011, 11:21 AM
Original Poster

My parents and twin brothers are coming with my gf and I and her parents are coming to Paris also to surprise her. I want to have them in the restaurant and then bring my gf up to the restaurant and propose in front of them. Any other ideas?????!!!!!
Old Jul 14th, 2011, 11:39 AM

Well, sure, I could come up with a lot of ideas about places to propose in Paris, but I have to ask: Do you really want to propose in front of a crowd? And in a public place?
Old Jul 14th, 2011, 11:50 AM

What St Cirq said!!
Old Jul 14th, 2011, 02:26 PM
ira

>I want to propose to my girlfriend in Paris at le Jules Verne in the Eiffel tower restaurant. I am looking for another awesome options. <

Another option would be to go to Jules Verne and not propose.

You could go to Paris alone.

Old Jul 14th, 2011, 02:39 PM

I sense, OP, that you were looking for options along the dramatic Parisian awesomeness, rather than the tasteful proposals, line.

Many of us might feel that you have maxed out in the first area, and that the only possible room for improvement is in the second.
Old Jul 14th, 2011, 02:50 PM

What if she says no?
Old Jul 14th, 2011, 02:52 PM

Pont des Arts
Sacre Coeur steps
Square du Vert Galant
Luxembourg Gardens
Old Jul 14th, 2011, 02:54 PM

there are many wonderful places to propose in Paris. My hubby proposed to me on a family trip (with his family) and it was lovely. He proposed on in a private moment on a beach at sunset - but it was lovely to share it with his family afterwards.

Be sure your fiancee would like the idea of a public proposal, but I assume you know this if you are proposing. If this is the case your proposal sounds lovely. If you want further ideas we can add them, but if you already have that planned then go with it if you think she will love it!
Old Jul 14th, 2011, 03:09 PM

there was another thread like this back during November/December 2010...there are lots of ideas on it, so you should try to search for it

assuming she would enjoy being proposed to in a public place and you obviously think she will say yes, Paris is loaded with beautiful restaurants....is it the view you are after?
Old Jul 14th, 2011, 11:10 PM

If you are still wanting the restaurant option, you could also consider Le Ciel de Paris on the 56th floor of Montparnasse Tower. It looks right at the Eiffel Tower, instead of being on it, and the families could be already waiting for you there - at the table or bar. Reserve well in advance to make sure you get the time you want and let them know you'd like a table by the window (although they may place you on the mezzanine level as window tables don't usually take more than 4pax) and that you are proposing, so they'll make it special. Check their website www.cieldeparis.com for menus, prices and reservation options (telephone, email, Twitter even).
Old Jul 15th, 2011, 06:12 AM
ira

>I sense, OP, that you were looking for options along the dramatic Parisian awesomeness, rather than the tasteful proposals, line. <

Oh.

Well, you could order champagne and have the waiter put an engagement ring in her glass.

I would do that at a table overlooking the Seine in one of the private rooms at Laperouse. http://laperouse.com/fr/restaurant/

Much more intime.

You could buy your own bottle of champagne and put the ring in her glass yourself while watching the Eiffel Tower go blink, blink, blink from the Pont Alexandre.

Ditto from the Sacre Coeur.

Best wishes
Old Jul 15th, 2011, 06:23 AM

Another place with a nice view is across from the Eiffel, at the Palais Chaillot. Nighttime,with the tower lit up...

I can also see wandering around Ile st Louis, over one of the bridges on the Seine, licking a Berthillon ice cream and finding something crunchy and shiny

Could also take a nighttime Seine cruise, smaller boat, bring on wine/chmaopers and as you approach Eiffel..pop question and bottle.
Old Jul 15th, 2011, 09:51 AM

Why on earth do people think proposals should involve sticking expensive jewelry in food or drinks? This is very childish.
Old Jul 15th, 2011, 10:23 AM

I second the restaurant at the top of Monparnasse tower!I believe it rotate and if you time it right, the Eiffel tower lights up at 10pm(I think!)
Old Jul 15th, 2011, 10:31 AM

Le Ciel is closed for renovations until April 2012. And I'm quite certain it didn't rotate, and won't when it reopens.
Old Jul 15th, 2011, 10:31 AM

Please do NOT turn a marriage proposl into a 3 ring circus.

OK if done in a public - but romantic spot - privately. But a cast of thousands??? If it were me I would just leave - and hope to eventually get over the mortification.

A proposal is a PRIVATE thing between 2 people.

Please rethink this.
Old Jul 15th, 2011, 11:05 AM

Sorry,I just checked it is closed and I mixed up the rotating restaurant with one in Montreal!
Still a great place!
Old Jul 15th, 2011, 11:20 AM

Surely you plan on having dinner alone with your intended fiancee in Paris? This is the time to propose, or any time on your own, a meal is optional and the audience is completely unnecessary/unwise. You are planning to spend the rest of your lives together, not in a crowd scene from a film.
Old Jul 15th, 2011, 12:43 PM

a woman's perspective: I would want the moment to be intimate and private. So I would advice popping the question when its just the 2 of you, and when it is least expected! During dinner is when she would most expect it. Have the dinner with the family as planned, but dont propose just yet. Go for a romantic after dinner stroll with just her, talking about the two of you. And when the moment is right, go down on one knee and do your thing...
OR, if you want more of an event, you can pop the question in the airplane en-route to Paris and then buy champagne for everyone on the plane after she says yes and everyone applauds, lol.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO