fun in amsterdam

Dec 15th, 2004, 11:39 AM
Original Poster

fun in amsterdam

am going to netherlands 2 people for 6 days. Any advice on reasonable accomodation and resturants and entertainment.Is there any other must see place in Holland.Liz
Dec 15th, 2004, 11:43 AM

haarlem and delft are nice but with only six days, i believe you'd have to choose between them as amsterdam has plenty to occupy 6 days in and of itself. one side trip would be plenty this first time around.
Dec 15th, 2004, 11:44 AM

For a listing and reviews of hotels in Amsterdam you can try www.channels.nl
Dec 15th, 2004, 11:56 AM

We emjoyed a day trip to Delft and staying in Haarlem. We did not enjoy the Hague. We did enjoy an afternoon at the sea (a quick train ride from Haarlem). (Staying in Haarlem is a Rick Steves' suggestion, so some will pan it. I think it is a little cheaper and a little less busy, but if you stay on/near the square (neat!) it is a long walk to the train station and a 15 minute train ride to A'dam. We have enjoyed Haarlem, but would probably consider staying in A'dam next time).
Dec 15th, 2004, 10:33 PM

Haarlem has a dozen or so hotels and B&Bs and is a beautiful city. Do a google search for a place to match your budget.

Dec 16th, 2004, 06:25 AM
ira

We liked staying in Haarlem more than Amsterdam.

You can also visit the Franz Hals museum there.

We liked Gouda and Scheveningen.
Dec 16th, 2004, 06:33 AM

Take the train from Amsterdam Centraal to Enkhuizen. Just past the train station is a tourist office where you buy tickets to go to the Zuiderzee Folk Museum. You can board a ferry to take you to the outdoor museum, which is a village created from actual cottages and shops brought from other locales. There are craftsmen demonstrating the 'how-to's', such as making rope, carving wood, smoking fish, etc. It is a wonderful outing to do, and gives such a flavor of Dutch living in the past.
The train ride takes less than an hour. I don't have it handy what the entrance fees were, guessing $9-12 per person? On this web http://www.hollandmuseums.nl/ click on English, then All Museums, then search for Zuiderzee.
The town of Enkhuizen is also delightful, so save time for strolling through its shopping area.
Dec 16th, 2004, 03:45 PM

We've stayed in Haarlem and Amsterdam. We much prefer Haarlem - only because Amsterdam gets on my nerves after a while. If you prefer a smaller town setting - that's the right answer. If you love a partying night life - Amsterdam is for you. Its about a 15 minute direct train ride to Amsterdam - so no big deal for day trips into the city.
Dec 16th, 2004, 04:15 PM

I don't know if i'd want to stay six nights in Haarlem especially if i've never been to Amsterdam but Haarlem is an extremely nice old town; at least day trip there. If it's nice weather the beaches at Zandvoort are about a 20 min train ride from Haarlem. I spent two days in Haarlem this Sept wandering around and had poffertjes in the market square, a fine fine square - these are savoury little pancakes topped with a variety of sweet concoctions.