Should we stay in Haarlem or Amsterdam?

Old May 9th, 2002, 08:37 AM
Natasha

Should we stay in Haarlem or Amsterdam?

Hi, my husband and I will be visiting Amsterdam in the fall. We have a lot we want to see there but I'm hearing good things about Haarlem, is it worth staying there and taking the 15 minute train ride in and out of Amsterdam? Also, is it any cheaper than Amsterdam?

Old May 9th, 2002, 09:08 AM
snorkelman

depends on your budget. you can obtain lodging in either city for $20 per person per night, or $400. in general, haarlem will be less crazy than amsterdam, and yest, it is just a short train ride away from A'dam

Old May 9th, 2002, 10:00 AM
Alice

I tinkered with this idea, but brief research led me to think that the hotels by train station were more $$ than I wanted, but hotels by the square were too noisy.. not much selection.. We're staying in Amsterdam again - everything I want to see is there or from the Centraal Station, so therefore not interested in staying outside the city this time.

Old May 9th, 2002, 12:21 PM
Mare

We were just in Amsterdam few weeks ago. We stayed in a quiet area, so there really was no problem with noise, safety, etc. Haarlem would be a much better choice if you are going to rent a car to travel around Holland. However, if you are planning to spend most of your time in Amsterdam, I don't think it is necessary.

Old May 9th, 2002, 12:32 PM
Lala

Amsterdam is one of those cities where you have to spend a bit more money if you want something quiet, clean, comfortable and air conditioned. We've stayed in 2* hotels that looked good on websites, but they turned out to be places we wouldn't have picked if we had known better. So we tried staying out in Haarlem and it became a hassel going back and forth between the room and tourist attractions. Bottom line: spring for a nicer place right in Amsterdam.

Old May 9th, 2002, 01:55 PM
Sheena

<BR>Dear Natasha,<BR><BR>Amsterdam is THE place to stay. I think you'd regret not doing that. Haarlem is a great place, but only fifteen minutes by train, so make it a day trip. Amsterdam's got the lot...don't miss out. We've stayed in several small Dutch-run hotels, which were all marvellous, for around 80 Euros per room per night. I particularly recommend the Brouwer on the Singel canal. It fills up WAY in advance though, so book as early as possible...it's an extremely popular place. I only have great things to say about Amsterdam and all the Dutch people with whom we've come into contact. <BR><BR>The fall's a lovely time to go there. Have a great time...it's guaranteed, whatever your interests.

Old May 9th, 2002, 02:21 PM
Natasha

Thank you all so much. I think we will take your advice and stay in Amsterday. Thanks again.

Old May 9th, 2002, 05:41 PM
Natasha

Oops I meant to say Amsterdam

Old May 12th, 2002, 04:51 PM
Benita

Stayed for a week in Amsterdam last summer at the SAS Radisson Hotel on Rusland. Great location, a few minutes away from Dam Square,about a 10 minute walk from the Centraal Station, in other words, close to everything. Great breakfast buffet included in the room price, grocery store within a few minutes with a fantastic deli. Would definitely recommend. One note: Please be aware of pickpockets, they're everywhere!<BR><BR>Benita

Old May 13th, 2002, 05:08 AM
Alice

FYI - We're going in October, and it took 3 tries to get a hotel room. If you're interested, we booked at AMS Terdam Hotel - twin room for 148E. It is near Leidseplein, Vondelpark and the museum area. We stayed there in 2000, so were familiar with the hotel and surroundings. I was looking for something a little less, in same area, and am glad to read affirmation that 2** is a little risky (whereas I have several on my list in Paris that are acceptable).

Old May 13th, 2002, 06:05 AM
trying

A couple more comments. We've stayed 2x in Haarlem. We tried to find lodging in A'dam last trip, but were not able to find what we wanted pricewise (the city was nearly booked, except for $150 plus rooms). We really like Haarlem and its square (w/St. Bavo's church), plus the Teyler's museum. BUT not only is it a 15 minute train ride (approx) but it is about another 15 minute walk from the station to the town square (where we stayed). Also, please know that if you stay on the square during the weekend, expect noise. The locals party literally all night on the weekend.

Old May 13th, 2002, 06:38 AM
Leslie

I stayed at the Hotel Hestia in March. A double was about 90 Euros. Its located near the museums, is convenient to the tram stop at Leidsplein. The area is very quiet and safe. Rooms were small, but clean. I'd definitely stay in Amsterdam over Haarlem. We stopped in Haarlem on the way back from Kuekenhof, and weren't very impressed.