Amsterdam Alternative - Need a place to venture from

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7th, 2012, 03:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been thinking of Haarlem as a base to see Amsterdam and Holland, after reading posts by Fodorites. Is this a good idea and could you please tell me where is the best place to stay?? Mention has been made before of the Stempels, Carlton etc. Our budget is three to four star with views if possible, good bed, breakfast and a friendly feeling
Old Jun 7th, 2012, 03:13 AM

Just curious - why not Amsterdam?
Old Jun 7th, 2012, 04:01 AM

Okay , don't take it as splitting hair, but Haarlem is a good place to explore Holland. If you mean to explore the "rest" of the Netherlands, I'd find Utrecht better. Also for its connections to many main rail lines and easy access to the central, southern, and eastern provinces. The same I'd say if you planned to rent a car and wanted to go beyond the two Holland provinces.
Yet it's not an issue IMO if you want to focus mostly on what is along the Haarlem- Den Haag- Rotterdam main line, or up north to Alkmaar and Hoorn. And Amsterdam proper, obviously.
Old Jun 7th, 2012, 04:10 AM
Original Poster

We have travelled to Amsterdam in the 1980' and 1990's and have seen most of what Amsterdam has to offer.

There are other places to see in Holland over 4-5 days and there is very little difference it seems to hop on a train in Haarlem rather than Amsterdam.

Then comes the question of accomodation and costs generally. The hotels that we have started to look at in Haarlem are far less expensive than Amsterdam for comparative standards of accommodation. It also seems easy to spend a day or half days in Amsterdam if it is less than a 20 minute train ride away from Haarlem.

So I guess that is where our thoughts are. The task now is to find a nice place to stay in Haarlem during mid September.
Old Jun 7th, 2012, 04:23 AM

Good choice.
I also find the value for money ratio much better outside Amsterdam. Plus you get the small town charm of a pretty Dutch town thrown in for free.
And the train ride is a no brainer. During the day there are many per hour so you literally don't bother about schedules. Takes less than 20 minutes. And they run until 1.30 am. So it's even no problem to spend the whole evening in Amsterdam and return to Haarlem late at night.

I think there had been older threads on where to stay in Haarlem. If you can't dig em out, just top this thread once in a while.
Old Jun 7th, 2012, 03:06 PM
Original Poster

Hi Cowboy1968 and All.

Does anyone have a favorite hotel to recommend in Haarlem for our stay ? Looking for a view if possible, quiet location and great breakfast.