Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Need creative suggestions for Amsterdam hotels - please help!

Jul 2nd, 2007, 09:56 AM
Original Poster

My husband and I booked a flight into Amsterdam and out of Paris from Sept 7-21. Unfortnately, our dates in Amsterdam coincide with a giant IBC convention and every hotel, I mean EVERY hotel, I have contacted near the city center is booked from Sept 8-12. We have considered changing our flight to arrive in Paris and depart from Amsterdam, but it would cost an additional $700 - ouch. We even registered for the convention (it was free) thinking that might get us access to some of the rooms that have been blocked, but unfortunately all that is left are airport hotels.

I am wondering if anyone knows of some little known B&Bs or newly opened hotels in Amsterdam that may have been overlooked by the convention crowd? I have sent emails out to a number of B&Bs on amsterdambedandbreakfast.org, but no luck so far. I think I need a really obscure recommendation or a referral to a kind hotel employee willing to at least put us on a wait list should a cancellation occur. At this point, I would consider anything in the $100-$350 range, but a private bathroom is a must.

In the alternative, we also thought about picking another nearby locale to go to for our first few days, and then heading back to Amsterdam after the convention ends. I was looking at Brugge, for example, but it seems like the backtracking would be a real pain and waste quite of bit of time.

If anyone has helpful advice on what they would do in this situation, I would greatly appreciate it. I always pride myself on careful trip planning (much thanks to the other posters here!), but I fear this time I have royally screwed up.

Many thanks!
Jul 2nd, 2007, 11:47 AM

Don't know if it's available, but have you tried Maes B&B? We stayed there last year and enjoyed the place, and its location.

http://www.bedandbreakfastamsterdam.com
Jul 2nd, 2007, 11:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. I just submitted a reservation request. Still keeping my fingers crossed that something will come up...
Jul 2nd, 2007, 11:58 AM

Try Hotel Kap. btw the airport is not too terribly far out in A'dam if it comes to that.
Jul 2nd, 2007, 12:06 PM

Maybe you could consider staying outside of Amsterdam? Haarlem? or even a it further out like Naarden or Hilversum, somewhere on a train line anyway. It would mean getting the train in every day, but with 40000 delegates expected at this conference I think you will struggle to find a free place. Many hotels are block booked, even if they are not yet actually fully booked - the Amsterdam local government has put pressure on hotels to do this for the delegates, to keep the conference coming to Amsterdam.
I'm away then myself or I'd have offered you a bed. I'm 40 minutes by train from Amsterdam.

Jul 2nd, 2007, 12:28 PM
Original Poster

Suze - Hotel Kap is booked. Thank you for the suggestion. Got any more?

Hetismij - Very kind of you to think of offering us a bed in your place. I suppose we can stay outside the city as a last resort, but I am really hoping that we can avoid it so we don't lose so much of our days on the train.

As far as the "block booking" goes, do you know of any way to get around it? Third-party travel agencies, hotel preferred guest programs, persistent begging, etc? ;-)

The RAI travel agency site isn't showing a single city center hotel available. Can it be that they are all actually booked this far in advance? If they aren't yet fully booked, why won't the RAI site show them as available?
Jul 2nd, 2007, 12:35 PM

We stayed at The Collector B&B this spring and were very, very happy with it. There are alot of reviews and photos of it on Trip Advisor.

http://www.the-collector.nl/ full breakfast , Large King bed, private bathroom, very comfy! Cable tv, balcony, safety box, free internet, guest kitchen fridge, stove, micro wave. Pay cash or CC.
[email protected]
De Lairessestraat 46 hs
1071 PB Amsterdam
The Netherlands

tel/fax: +31 20 6736779
mob: +31 6 11010105
Jul 2nd, 2007, 12:40 PM
Original Poster

Alas, the Collector is also booked. Although Karel was kind enough to give me a number of referrals to other B&Bs in the area -- I promptly emailed almost all of them - still waiting to hear back.

For those of you live in Amsterdam, is it so crazy during the convention that it isn't even worth visiting the city? I imagine during the weekday it shouldn't be so bad because everyone will be at the convention, but I wonder if trying to go out at night will be miserable?
Jul 2nd, 2007, 12:53 PM

I'd suggest going to another city, if you don't want to pay the huge prices. There are good central Amsterdam hotels available at http://www.booking.com - but the prices are really high - I'd say about double the prices I am used to seeing for those same hotels.

I don't think the backtracking need be that bad. For example, if you fly into Amsterdam and immediately head to, for example, Antwerp (I think that's closer than Brugge), you won't really lose much time, considering that the first day is typically not a prime sightseeing day in any event.

There are several interesting towns in their own right near Amsterdam, like Leiden and Haarlem and Utrecht. I'm hoping to explore some of these on our upcoming trip.

You can get private rooms at Amsterdam-area hostels still, apparently. Check out www.stayokay.nl . I haven't stayed at these, but the Amsterdam Zeeburg location, while requiring a bit of a commute into town, is a very new facility, where you can get a private room and private bathroom. There are also options in Haarlem and den Haag.

Also, check out www.hostelworld.com - many options listed on there are not hostels at all, but B&Bs and small hotels.
Jul 2nd, 2007, 01:38 PM
Original Poster

It looks like the crisis has been resolved. A third-party agency, reservetravel.com, showed availability at the Hotel Ambassade at around $300/night. I thought it seemed like a wierd fluke since I saw someone else's post who said the hotel told him they were booked for those same dates. Anyway, we went ahead and booked with them and then called the hotel directly who confirmed the reservation wasn't an error and that they would put us in an upper level double with canal view per our request. Whew -- slightly more money than I would have liked to have spent, but after all this nonsense, I'm not complaining. Thank you everyone!
Jul 2nd, 2007, 01:43 PM

This no hotels story comes up every year, or maybe every two years depending on the frequency of the IBC congress/fair. I don't keep track of it. As for A'dam hotels you are SOOL. I suggest a Google search for B&Bs in Amsterdam, Haarlem, and Leiden. Actually, there is nothing wrong with airport hotels at Schiphol. I stayed in one and took the train to Amsterdam. Too convenient, but be on guard for pickpockets. The week of your visit is going to be their Christmas.

Jul 2nd, 2007, 02:45 PM
Original Poster

Hopscotch - you are right about this being a problem year after year. I wish I had found these posts before I purchased our flight. Hopefully, these repeated postings on IBC will provide good warning to others.
Jul 2nd, 2007, 03:04 PM

We stayed at the Canal Hotel a few years ago, love the place and within your price range. We have Also stayed in Utrecht and rode the train in for day visits, just outside of A'dam I don't think it was more than a 20 - 30 min ride and Utrecht was beautful at night!
Clea
Jul 2nd, 2007, 03:05 PM

Try VRBO. We stayed on a fabulous Amsterdam houseboat for 4 nights that we found on this site.