Ireland vs Scotland? Drive or Tour?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1st, 2007, 07:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I (we are mid-thirties) would like to take a trip (or about a week) to either Ireland or Scotland in October. We have 1 year old that will stay behind with Grandparents.
Should we do Ireland or Scotland?
Should we join a tour group (are there ANY groups that do over 35, but the majority are not necessarily 70!), or should we drive ourselves? We are in good physical shape, and like to pack everything in when we travel!
Old Jul 1st, 2007, 07:34 AM

Scotland. Self Drive.

Have look at what you can find by using the "search" box above.
Old Jul 1st, 2007, 09:17 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Why do you want to go to those two countries? What sorts of things do you enjoy? Have you any ideas already??

Which one is totally your own decision. There are many on here who will say "Ireland", and just as many will advise "Scotland". You can't go wrong w/ either.

My rec would be Scotland - but that is just me. Scotland is my favorite place anywhere. But it is large and a week is only long enough to see a very tiny part of it.

Whichever you choose - you will do much better driving than on a tour. In both countries, you will not need/want a car in the cities (mainly Dublin, Edinburgh, Glasgow) but you will want a car to tour the countryside.

but tell us what you want to see/do -- castles, hiking, whisky (or whiskey in Ireland) distilleries, cities/shopping/clubs, wild scenery or gentle countryside, wildlife/seabirds, beaches, or ??????
Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 12:14 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. Haven't searched quite yet. Just starting out. My husband has Scottish heritage in his family, but I was thinking that Ireland might be a little warmer? We have traveled quite a bit, and Ireland/Scotland are on our "list". We love hiking (but we live in FL- go figure!)- so maybe a hike or two where there is scenery. Not so hip on beaches. Definitely want to see a castle or two, would like to tour maybe one distillery, like to see the main sites in the cities (we love walking). Not huge on shopping, per se, just window shopping. I
Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 12:41 PM

Scotland. Self Drive.

Nowhere in Scotland doesn't have scenery (except,maybe, Easterhouse), even the beaches. We have lots of castles. It'll maybe shock you to know we have lots of distilleries too.

And we have Edinburgh.
Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 02:16 PM
nbujic

another vote for Scotland !

Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 02:49 PM

Scotland will offer everything you're looking for and more! Definitely drive yourself. After a week there, you'll be hooked and want more.
Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 03:16 PM

I am a huge proponent of Ireland and Northern Ireland. There is so much to see and do there, that numerous trips will be necessary. The only thing that would have me saying Scotland is that you indicate that is the heritage of your husband.

Before anyone gets their knickers knotted, I have been to Scotland as well. I enjoyed the scenery, I enjoyed the small towns. I made the mistake of trying to drive in Edinburgh, which severely tainted my feelings towards what I am sure is a marvelous City.

My Gran and my Grandfather's immediate family were all from the Glasgow area, ship workers, dock workers, etc. That being said, it didn't have that same feeling of home that Ireland gave me on my first visit and continues to give me.

Either way, I would recommend that you drive yourselves, book your own lodgings, book your own rental car, book your own flights and stay away from vouchers. Neither Ireland or Scotland is particularly warm in October, though weather is known to be unpredictable in both places. Think layers and good sturdy, weatherproof shoes when you pack and you will be fine.

Slan Beo,

Bit Devine