Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Feldafing to Munich - First time in Germany!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6th, 2010, 03:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm very much looking forward to my first trip to Munich and could use some guidance from the wise souls on this Forum. I will be staying in Feldafing for work, so my transportation will be covered there. When the meeting is over, I'd like to get an early start to Munich and stay overnight. So here's what I'd love some help with:

- How do get from Feldafing to Munich (note: I will be carrying a decent-sized suitcase).

- On the above, I'll have almost no free time there, but I've found so little information about Feldafing - any input on the area should some free time arise? Staying at Residence Starnberger See.

- Back to Munich...any hotel suggestions? On this board I've read some great things about the Platzl - a great location for sightseeing. Location is critical, and being able to just walk around (and experience a biergarten) in the brief, one night I have there. Not looking to break the bank, but if I can get a single room at a better hotel that's in a great location with good staff (that speaks English) - worth it for me to pay.

- Lastly - how best to get back to the airport from the hotel? Here again, fairly large suitcase.

Thank you very much for reading!
Old Feb 6th, 2010, 04:49 AM
J62

According to the German train website www.bahn.de, there are direct trains from Feldafing to Munich (main train station/Hbf) twice an hour, all day long. They depart at ##:08 and ##:48, and take 41 minutes.

Trains from Munich Hbf to Munich airport every 10 minutes, and take approx 40 minutes.
Old Feb 6th, 2010, 05:23 AM

In Possenhofen or Tutzing (North and South of Feldafing, respectively) you can catch one of the boats doing a half or full circle on Starnberger See.
Or visit Rose Island:
http://www.schloesser.bayern.de/engl...s/feldafin.htm
Or walk/hike along the lake for as little or long you want and relax in one of the cafes or beergardens on the shoreline.

Feldafing station is a small stop on the Munich-Tutzing suburban train line. I can't remember if they have elevators there or not. If not, your hotel can inquire for a taxi driver who will not only drive you to the station but also carry your suitcase to the platform. The suburban train stations in Munich proper or at the airport are equipped with elevators and/or escalators.
Old Feb 6th, 2010, 06:42 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much for taking the time to reply. Very helpful and I will play on the websites you were kind enough to provide. My question about the suitcase was more about how it is checked on train - I am rather unfamiliar with train travel and wasn't sure if my bag needed to stay with me and fit near my seat (which it wouldn't) - or is what the procedure is. I thank you again.
Old Feb 6th, 2010, 09:30 AM

re suitcase:
You simply take your suitcase with you on the train. No steps, the cars align with the platform.
These suburban trains have areas in each car where you can easily keep the biggest suitcase near you.
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Datei:M...Bahn_(HDR).jpg
You can pull down one of the seats and sit next to your suitcase.
Old Feb 6th, 2010, 11:59 AM
Original Poster

Cowboy1968 - that is a very helpful picture. Thanks so much for helping out this newbie!
Old Feb 12th, 2010, 06:13 AM

nantucketgal: I can't help you with your transportation because we always have a car when in that area. We have stayed in Feldafing several times, near the Residence Starnberger See Conference Center, but rather at the Hotel http://www.kaiserin-elisabeth.de. Sisi spent many of her summers at this hotel and you can stay in the suite of rooms that were 'hers', still furnished with the original bed, furniture, etc. We use this hotel as a base when we go take a coaching experience starting at a horse farm in nearby Pahl; http://www.coaching-in-bavaria.com/. There is not really much to do in Feldafing itself because it is so small; I would imagine that the venue/loaction for your conference was chosen to more or less keep you captive for the duration! However, nearby Starnberg (10 minutes by bus)is a much larger town at the head of the lake. Here you'll find a lot of nice places to eat/dine, botiques, excursions on the lake, etc. The entire Starnberger See area is a resort area but you'll find pocket areas such as the town of Starnberg, which attract tourists as compared to campers, vacationing locals, golf courses, etc.

You are correct about the Platzl in Munich. http://www.platzl.de We use this hotel frequently because it is so convenient to Marienplatz and the epicenter of the area nearby that is so popular with visitors to Munich. The Platzl, while a bit upscale, is not pretensious but it has a lot of charm and is well staffed with very friendly and helpful people. Although the Platzl is located within yards of the sometimes racous Hofbrauhaus, Planet Hollywood, etc. it is actually around the corner on a reasonably quiet and totally safe side street. The popular outdoor Viktualien Market is also very close to the Platzl. You'll find it, as well as the Platzl, Marienplatz, etc. on this map http://www.innenstadtwirte.de/innens...alienmarkt.php
Old Feb 12th, 2010, 07:00 AM

We have stayed at the Platzl quite a few times and always enjoy the easy location to the sites. Easy walk to Marienplatz, Victualienmarkt, and all of the central sites of Munich. I wouldn't hesitate to stay there if I were travelling solo. Plan extra time at the Muc airport for your departure as we found their security very tight in September ( multiple checkpoints after security).

I would take a cab to the airport but you can also take the train.