Trip to Munich, Germany

Mar 30th, 2002, 03:55 AM
tjpawl

Trip to Munich, Germany

I plan to go to Munich, Germany and take a local and excursion tours with Panorama tours. Has anyone used this company? If so how was your experience? I would also like to know what hotels, B&B's are near the pickup point which is at Kaufhaus Hertie? Thanks to all in advance

Mar 30th, 2002, 07:03 AM
toopie

tp

Mar 30th, 2002, 07:23 AM
Al Godon

Is Hertie not a chain department store with several locations in Munich?

Mar 30th, 2002, 07:42 AM
Bob Brown

There is a Hertie department store near the main train station: Bahnhofplatz 14
That has to be the one referred to in tjpawl's question. It is centrally located and quite visible. Any hotel near the main train station, Hauptbahnhof, would put you there.

Before posting, I looked up Panorama tours in Munich. Yep, Herties on Bahnhofplatz is the rallying point.
This one should be very easy to find because any dweller of the city should know where the main train station is located.

Mar 30th, 2002, 08:24 AM
Bob Brown

Pulled the trigger too soon.
The Hotel Eden Wolf is close to the train station on Arnulfstraße.
Hotel Jedermann is close also.
And the Elephant is fairly close, perhaps as 10 minute walk. The
Hotel Drei Löwen is very near the main train station on Schillerstraße 8.

But do a search on Munich Hotels. You will find plenty to select from.

Mar 30th, 2002, 02:07 PM
Sue

The Europaischer Hof is a big hotel near the main train station; all kinds of different rates and a good breakfast buffet. www.heh.de

May 1st, 2002, 04:06 AM
tjpawl

Thanks for the responses. After extensive research the hotels mentioned were the ones I was considering. Only one problem, I am a woman traveling alone and heard that the area around the main train station is seedy. As a woman traveling alone I am wondering if it is still a good idea to be in that area or to stay on the outskirts.

May 1st, 2002, 05:58 AM
Wilma

I just returned from a month in Munich and have been there many times. ON this last trip I took the Panorama tour to Neuschwanstein castle. Advice: be sure to bring your payment receipt or evidence of payment. There was an interminable wait at the beginning of the tour while a number of people (including myself) had to get off the bus and stand in line in the freezing cold to talk to some "supervisor" on the sidewalk about our payments. I had paid at the hotel and other people had paid by credit card, none of us with receipts and this seemed to be a bit more than the system could handle. I might add that they were not very nice about the situation which started the tour on a sour note. Otherwise, the tour guide was very knowledgeable, and nice enough.......a bit corny as tour guides are wont to be, but my son and I did learn a lot on the tour. The bus was very comfortable, and the trip was evenly paced with stops for lunch, shopping, etc...it was an all-day tour.

Regarding hotels, don't worry at all about location. You can get virtually anywhere in Munich within half an hour on the extensive network of u-bahn, s-bahn, streetcar and bus. If your hotel is on a u-bahn route, all you need to do in the morning is eat breakfast and jump on the train to get to the main train station, which is directly across the street from the Panorama tour pick-up point. Almost all u-bahns go to the train station, if not, transferring is very easy.

I stayed at the Hotel Uhland this time, about a 10 minute walk from the train station. But I was picked up at my hotel by the Panorama Tour bus, and the bus also stopped at other hotels on the way. I have also stayed at the Europaeisher Hof, also directly across the street from the train station, and it is my favorite hotel in Munich. (but be sure to get what I think they call a "comfort class" room, newly-remodeled)

After my children left Munich, I was in the train station area at midnight every night to get on the internet (there's a 24-hour internet cafe across the street from the train station) and althought it's not the most fashionable part of the city, I never felt unsafe. Just use common sense. Sure there's lots of winos and street kids roaming the streets, but there's also lots of tourists and people coming home from an evening out, as well of lots of single women on their way home, and you will not be conspicuous.

On weekdays the last u-bahn is generally around 1 am.

May 1st, 2002, 06:25 AM
Joycel

The area in and around Munich's main train station is very crowded with commuters and shoppers. It is no more unsafe than a crowded area in any large city. Use the same precautions you would use anywhere else in this type of area.

I found staying in a hotel near the main train station to be very convenient, especially for taking train trips to nearby towns.

May 1st, 2002, 06:54 AM
Uncle Sam

One problem staying at a hotel near the haupbahnhof...noise. We stayed at a hotel directly accross the street from the station in September a couple of years ago.

All other hotels were booked due to Octoberfest when we had a sudden business trip. The hotel had no air conditioning and it was about 85 during the day and the nights were much cooler.

Had to make a decision...close wondow for quiet, but be hot or leave windows open for cooler air and noise from train station late into the might.

Just a precaution, you will want to be certain that your hotel has AC!

May 1st, 2002, 06:56 AM
Uncle Sam

PS

I too have stayed at the Hotel Uhland on Uhlandstrasse numerous times. It is a very nice hotel with friendly staff, reasonable prices, and a great location about 10 minute walk to Sendlinger Tor or the train station.

May 1st, 2002, 11:01 AM
Tom from Sacramento

I agee about Munich streets being safe. I leave tomorrow for Munich. On previous visits I always raved about how safe the streets were. Main reason is that the streets are crowded with people. They are not deserted.
As they say, use common sense, and enjoy this great city.
Tom