Need hotel in Munich for 9/20

Old Jul 1st, 2008, 01:14 PM
Original Poster

Need hotel in Munich for 9/20

We did not realize that Octoberfest starts on 9/20 when we planned this trip. I have already made reservations on a night train from Munich to Rome on the 21st so we need to be in Munich then. Looking for a place with a reasonable rate. Also, what does "red light district" mean in Germany? I saw an hotel with that description with one of the cheaper rates -- still more than we had planned to spend though. Thanks for the advice - it's appreciated.

Old Jul 1st, 2008, 01:21 PM

Did you try the suburbs of Munich?? I was there at the last minute on business during oktoberfest and found a room in a marriott that was on the UBahn line about 4 or 5 stops from Marienplatz
Old Jul 1st, 2008, 01:41 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestion. How did you find the hotel? I am really new at this -- enjoying planning the trip but realizing how little I know.
Old Jul 1st, 2008, 01:45 PM

You might want to try a web site TripAdvisor.com, plug in Munich and let it sort things out for you. Then look see is those hotels have a web site of their own. You may be able to contact the hotel directly to see if they have anything available.

I think you're best bet will be to look for something right outside of town and then take the local light rail to the train station.
Old Jul 1st, 2008, 02:24 PM

>>>>
Also, what does "red light district" mean in Germany?
>>>>>

in munich, it's likely the small area around the train station with many economy hotels and a few sex shops. the real red light (street walking) areas of munich are probably not what they are talking about if they are describing the location of a hotel.
Old Jul 1st, 2008, 02:37 PM
Original Poster

I beginning to reconsider staying in Munich - just stay on the outskirts as has been suggested. Thanks also for the explanation about the "red light district".