Munich info request

Old Oct 10th, 2008, 01:04 PM
Original Poster

Munich info request

I have a 24-hour layover in Munich. My flight from Rome to Munich arrives at 9:00am on Oct. 26 and flight back to US leaves Munich at 1:30pm the next day.

I would like to take a day trip to Neuschwanstein Castle. How do I get to the train station from the airport? Is there a left luggage in the train station?

Also, can somebody recommend a reasonable hotel or B&B in or around Munich? Maybe around $100 if possible and walking distance to train or other public transportation.

Thank you.
Old Oct 10th, 2008, 02:46 PM

In the airport, follow the signs to the S-Bahn and take either of the two lines (S1 or S8) to the Munich Hauptbanhof, about 45 minutes. From there you take a train to Fussen, then bus to the castle(s), about 2.5 hours. Sorry, can't help with the left luggage or hotel in that price range - we usually stay at the Concorde, which is in a great location but is a bit more money.
Old Oct 10th, 2008, 02:52 PM

There are lockers in the main train station.
Old Oct 10th, 2008, 02:56 PM

Sorry-forgot to add...I stay at the Hotelissimo Haberstock just across the street from the train station. I always do day trips and this location is perfect. But I believe a double will cost about $150 per night. The hotel is a 3* and has sound-proof windows.
Old Oct 10th, 2008, 03:05 PM
ira

Hi C,

If you want to overnight in Munich, I can recommend
www.hotel-uhland.de/enwelcome.html

It is a short walk from the train station. You could leave your luggage there.

Old Oct 10th, 2008, 04:21 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for all your replies. I will check the hotels you recommended.
Old Oct 10th, 2008, 04:37 PM
Original Poster

Flyfish, thanks for the detailed direction going to Neuschwanstein Castle.
Old Oct 10th, 2008, 08:06 PM

We stayed at the Hotel Reinbold - within walking distance of main train station and the Blauer Bock within walking distance of the Marienplatz. Both basic, but clean hotels around $100/night.

The train station is at the airport. You can leave your luggage in a locker.

If you purchase the Bavarian train ticket, you can take the train to Fuessen for about 27Euros (round trip for up to 5 people)

We purchased our tickets online, in advance for the castle tour. We left Munich around 9am and returned around 8pm.

It was fantastic!!
Old Oct 11th, 2008, 03:10 AM

basket, what is the website for purchasing Neuschwanstein Castle ticket on line? anyone in this forum who knows, please chime in. appreciate your help.
Old Oct 11th, 2008, 03:21 AM

http://www.hohenschwangau.de/ticketcenter0.0.html
Old Oct 11th, 2008, 05:57 AM
Original Poster

Does it make a big difference with regards to price of ticket or availability if you booked online or buy the tickets at the site itself?
Old Oct 11th, 2008, 07:22 AM

There is a service charge...maybe $1.75 per ticket or something like that. I thought it was worth it to schedule my tour in advance. One less thing to worry about on the trip.
Old Oct 11th, 2008, 09:36 AM

Let me correct a couple of misconceptions. The train station in the airport is an S-Bahn (subway) station. When I was there last October, I didn't notice lockers in the S-Bahn station, nor do the official station plans of MVV (Munich metro) or BEG (runs regional trains in Bavaria) show lockers. There might be lockers or luggage check in the airport itself, buy probably not in the S-Bahn station.

There are, however, lockers and a luggage check-room in the main station (Hbf = Hauptbahnhof) downtown, through which you will normally pass on your way to Füssen. The lockers are in a room across the connecting platform from tracks 25 & 26. The check room is behind them.

Bavaria is the English word for the German state of "Bayern". You won't see a "Bavarian train ticket" anywhere; it's called a "Bayern-Ticket". MVV and regional Bahn ticket automats have two columns of buttons on the right side, under the display. One of the buttons (probably in the RH column) will be labeled "Bayern-Ticket". When you push that button, the display will give you the options, "Bayern Ticket" (2 - 5 people), "Bayern-Ticket-Single" (1 person), and Bayern-Ticket-Nacht. For the €27 deal, select "Bayern-Ticket". The display will then give you the option of "Heute" (today), "Morgen" (tomorrow), or "Andere" (other day, you'll select from a calendar).

Buy your Bayern-Ticket in the S-Bahn station at the airport and it will cover your S-Bahn transportation from the airport to the Hbf, your train to Füssen, the bus to the castle (Hohenschwangau), and your transportation back.

At the Hbf, the trains to Füssen leave from one of the tracks (27 - 36) in the Starnbergerbahnhof, which is attached to the north side of the main part of the station.
Old Oct 11th, 2008, 10:06 AM

By the way, for a reasonable hotel around Munich, consider Freising. Take the S-1 from the Hauptbahnhof to Freising. The train splits in Neufahrn; I think you need to be in the front half. You can use the same Bayern-Ticket to get to Freising. In the morning, the trip to the airport is a short, inexpensive bus ride.

For accommodations in Freising, download the English language broshure at http://www.freising.de/index.php?ber...nterkunft.html.
Old Oct 11th, 2008, 12:56 PM

On interesting thing, Larry, ("smartassing" a little bit here) and even some Germans don't know this..

When you have town names in "zusammengesetzten Hauptwörtern", the town name will always be a seperate word.
Like:
Starnberger Bahnhof
Leipziger Straße
Old Oct 11th, 2008, 04:39 PM

Thanks for the correction, Logos. I do try to use German correctly. I actually must have known that; I write Füssen Bahnhof all the time. Of course sometimes the rules for "Germlich" get a little ambiguous. But I think as long as we are not trying to put dativ construction into English sentences, we should get the name correctly. The station is actually the Starnberger Flügelbahnhof (wing station) for it's attachment on the side of the main station.

And, incidently, not to try to "outsmartass" you, but as my English teacher once said, "there is 'a rat' in separate".
Old Oct 11th, 2008, 05:35 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Larry for explaining the Bayern ticket.