Where to Relax after Flight to Munich?

Jun 18th, 2012, 12:04 PM
Original Poster

Where to Relax after Flight to Munich?

Our family of three (two adults, one 8 year old) will be arriving at Munich airport after an overnight flight. We arrive around 9am and probably will be hungry. What's a nice place for a good first impression of Munich where we can get a bite to eat, relax, and orient ourselves? Should we head for the Marienplatz area or somewhere else? Ultimately that night we will be in Mittenwald but we probably should stop in Munich rather than taking the train straight to Mittenwald so we can enjoy our new surroundings for a while (and stay awake). What's a good "first thing to do" when arriving in Munich for the first time?

Thanks for any advice!
Jun 18th, 2012, 01:17 PM

Marienplatz is a good central spot - you can get a bit of a feel for Munich. Since you will have luggage, you can take the S-Bahn to the Hauptbahnhof (main train station) and store it there, then take the S-Bahn a couple more stops to Marienplatz.

If the weather is good, go someplace with good outside seating. I find that being outside is the best cure for jet lag. There are a couple places right on Marienplatz with outside seating. About a block to the west of the Marienplatz is the Frauenkirche (church) - around the back side of the church are a few restaurants with outside seating too. I really like Andecher am Dom.

The Frauenkirche is a neat church and you can go up to the top of the tower for some great views.
Jun 18th, 2012, 02:38 PM

Will you be returning to Munich?

Marienplatz is a good place to hang out for a while. You'll have been fed on the airplane.

Why not just go on to Mittenwald from the station? It's a 45 minute ride into town from the airport. The train to Mittenwald won't be that much longer.
Jun 18th, 2012, 11:11 PM

Why not travel directly to Mittenwald from the airport? It will take you just under 3 hours by train, so you will probably be able to check in to your hotel upon arrival. Unpack a bit, and enjoy a much smaller Bavarian gem! The S-bahn from the airport to Munich Hbf is about 40 minutes. You will then have a pleasant 1 hr 50 min journey to Mittenwald. Don't forget to use a Bavaria (Bayern) Ticket. It will cover your entire journey, incl. Munich.
Jun 19th, 2012, 12:20 AM

Hi Traveler_A,

I agree with singfree above -- just tuck in and gut it out and get to Mittenwald so you can truly relax there.

Most folks buy something for the train journey, and you can also do that. There are lots of sandwich/pizza concessions at the main station in München, and you can buy some sandwiches, chocolate, yogurt, and water for the train journey. Then you can sit back and munch your picnic while you watch the pretty scenery slip by. That's a nice introduction to the country.

If you are leaving from München, that would be a good time to see and explore the city --

Have fun as you plan1

s
Jun 19th, 2012, 07:52 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the feedback! I'd like to head straight to Mittenwald but am concerned about sitting on the train for a few more hours rather than doing a little bit of walking to minimize jet lag. I've never flown overnight before so I don't know how much emphasis I should put on getting fresh air and exercise to avoid feeling sleepy. Most advice I've read online is to stay active. Thoughts?
Jun 19th, 2012, 07:53 AM
Original Poster

Oh, and we plan to tour Munich before flying back out of Munich.
Jun 19th, 2012, 08:02 AM

I would go straight to your destination and unwind there; would not want to wander around a new city, with luggage, jetlagged, just to stretch the legs. Buy snacks for the train ride, get on and get there.
Jun 19th, 2012, 09:47 AM

Since you will be going to Munich later, then I agree - just go straight on to Mittenwald. You'll get there in time to wander around. Getting on the train after the overnight flight wont be so bad - the train will have more room and you can wander around and there are things to see out the window.
Jun 19th, 2012, 10:00 AM

Hi again,

You'll also find that you're not alone -- it's not at all uncommon to see jet-lagged, sleep-deprived folks nodding off at their seats on the early-morning train.

And don't forget that you can also walk the aisles of the train if you'd like to stretch your legs. Well, not in the fresh air . .. but still walking.

s
Jun 19th, 2012, 11:20 AM

You'll walk around the train station, then take a little break. Like someone else suggested, you can buy a snack at the station.

When you get to Mittenwald, go to the hotel and ask if they will hold your bags. They will.

The train will be a pleasent break from the airplane and your 8 year old will appreciate it.

When you get to Mittenwald, enjoy the town for a while. Maybe the child can catch a little sleep on the train. Try to stay up until evening.
Jun 19th, 2012, 11:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone! I think we'll plan to continue on the train. Somewhere along the way I need to pick up a SIM card so I'll probably hit a grocery store either in Garmisch-Partenkirchen or in Mittenwald. We plan to bring just one bag apiece (no checked luggage!) so dealing with luggage shouldn't be too much of an issue for us.

I appreciate the guidance. Only a month to go before our big trip!
Jun 19th, 2012, 01:14 PM

Marienplatz is a good place and just a block away the Viktualien Markt is a treat for your eyes as well as have lots of places to grab a bite. I dont know how long your overnight flight is but it is good to take a break. Enjoy your visit to Bavaria.
Jun 19th, 2012, 02:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, AisleSeat! I looked up the market and it sounds great. We'll definitely stop there when we visit Munich!
Jun 19th, 2012, 02:53 PM

Enjoy your visit Traveler A. Germany is a beautiful country and you'll be traveling by train through some of most beautiful parts.
Jun 19th, 2012, 04:02 PM

Hi TravelerA,

I agree with most others, head to Mittenwald. We always seem to get a "second wind" after arriving in Munich after an overnight flight from NY, plus we always drive a few hours to our first destination with no trouble at all. I think once you see Mittenwald and the surroundings, you'll be glad you went directly. It's gorgeous! We love "der kleiner Kartoffelsack" in the pedestrain zone as a place to sit outside and have coffee, cappuccino and a "Mohr im Memd". If you like chocolate, you'll love this here. We also like this place for dinner.

www.derkartoffelsack.de

We also liked "Da Mamma Lucia" for dinner in Mittenwald.

www.mammalucia.de

Have a great trip.

Paul
Jun 19th, 2012, 05:40 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Paul. We're renting an apartment from the owner of Da Mamma Lucia!
Jun 20th, 2012, 06:18 AM
Original Poster

Now I have a follow-up question. I searched the forums and found that for the Frankfort airport it was recommended that travelers should allow at least 1.5 hours after plane arrival to de-plane, clear customs, etc. before a train departure. Is the same true for an arrival at Munich airport? When searching the Bahn website should I estimate that for a 7:50am airplane arrival (if it's on time, anyway!) I should estimate catching a train after 9:30am or so? Thanks!
Jun 20th, 2012, 06:45 AM

You won't know what time the plane will arrive. Munich is a smaller airport than FRA but that really means nothing as far as what time you'll take the train.

The trains will run on time, the planes won't.
Jun 20th, 2012, 06:47 AM

The site for the train is www.bahn.de

You probably know this. Did you also know that most German cities have a .de address? You can type in www.nameofcity + .de

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO