Connections at Munich hbf

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13th, 2013, 08:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Am arriving at Munich central station by ICE from Leipzig, and i have to take a train to Salzburg. Have 45 mins change time on sunday at 2 pm. Heard that making connections in less than 1 hour is challenging at Munich central station. Have two bags and my wife walks not very fast. Any suggestions??
Old Apr 13th, 2013, 11:15 PM

If you are traveling this Sunday, you should have posed the question earlier since the train is leaving Leipzig as I type. However,

"Heard that making connections in less than 1 hour is challenging at Munich central station."

I don't know where you heard this but it is not true. There are carts to load your bags on to transport them between trains. And the train area is fairly compact. If the train from Leipzig is close to being on time you will not have a problem.
Old Apr 14th, 2013, 12:28 AM

Although you did not post your itinerary, are these your trains?

ICE1627 14:41 arriving track 18
RJ69 15:27 leaving track 11

Unless you really cannot walk, this is more than you need.
In Dec, I did transfer from further car on the one side of the station to the train waiting at the other end of the station in 9 minutes.

If you want to minimize your walking once you get to the Munich, be at the head of the train allowed by your ticket as it pulls into the Munich station. Unless you have seat reservations, ask the ticket inspector which end of the train pulls into Munch first because you want to minimize walking at Munich, and move your self to that end of the train before you get to Munich.
Old Apr 14th, 2013, 04:56 AM

Agree with the two replies above, the Munich hbf is very easy to navigate. What you heard was wrong. Going from track 18 to 11 should take just a few minutes, unless each train is parked way out on the platform, but even then you should have plenty of time.
Old Apr 14th, 2013, 05:59 AM

It depends on what you mean by "walks not very fast". an she walk distances but at a stroll - or does she have trouble walking any distance at all. As long as she can easily walk 3 or 4 blocks you should not have a problem as long as your incoming train isn't substantially late.