Berlin Location

Jul 5th, 2004, 10:43 AM
Original Poster

Berlin Location

I am planning to see Berlin for only 3-4 days. In choosing a hotel, I see that the hotels are broken up into several locations such as : City Center West, City Center East, City Center, Eastern Berlin, Downtown, etc. Can somebody tell me where section is for a tourist--the part of the city that includes most sightseeing and also most nightlife?
Jul 5th, 2004, 12:37 PM

Berlin is one of my favorite cities to visit. My last visit, I stayed at the Comfort Hotel Fruehling am Zoo.

http://www1.choicehotels.com/ires/en-US/html/HotelInfo?hotel=GE055&sid=apWag.2DJM4lL$R.1

I don't know what your price range is, but this is one of the cheaper hotels that I found. The pictures on the website aren't the greatest, but the rooms are much better in person.

The hotel is within walking distance of the train station (.3 km). I foud the location great and I had no trouble accessing anything in Berlin.

When entering the hotel, you have to walk up several steps. Don't worry if you have luggage because they have a luggage lifting device. The staff was very nice and spoke several languages. We took the elevator up to our room. We had a three bedded room (three twin beds) all which were very comfortable. The room had high ceilings which gave the room a large feel.The bathroom was also clean and very nice.
Jul 5th, 2004, 12:43 PM

....To continue on with my post: The breakfast was great (hot bar and servers which all were included in our rate).

Overall, the hotel is very nice and is perfect to access every thing in Berlin. For more reviews, go to this website:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...oo-Berlin.html

Good luck hotel searching.
Jul 5th, 2004, 12:49 PM
hsv

miss_spy,

as Berlin as recovered from being a divided city, the City Center of former Eastern Berlin has sort of become the new hotspot of Berlin featuring a number of quality hotels, good restaurant options and a couple of nice bars along with upscale shopping opportunities.

This is basically the area from Brandenburg Gate on East to Alexander Platz. It covers esp. the streets of Unter den Linden Blvd. and Friedrichstr. and a square called Gendarmenmarkt. This district is called "Mitte" in German which would translate directly to City Center, although I am not sure whether City Center might not cover the former West Berlin City Center around Kurfuerstendamm.

In general, I would advise you to watch out for hotel properties indicating that they are in Mitte. Locationwise you cannot go wrong with them.

Should you need any specific advice concerning some property, I will try to answer here, although I am not based in Berlin.

Happy planning to you!
hsv
Jul 7th, 2004, 11:52 AM

Berlin is actually a bit spread out, so there are nightlife hotspots all over the place, not just one single district. Same with sights - some in East, some in West, some in Mitte, some outside the city.... The great thing is that Berlin IMO has the very best transit system in Europe - it will get you anywhere anytime. Trains, subways and buses run all night and are perfectly safe to use, and are all included in a cheapish day pass (something like 7 euros).