Search

Rome Hotels - Romance

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2nd, 2004, 07:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rome Hotels - Romance

Looking for some feedback on Rome Hotels -

I have read the forums and am more confused than ever. While i have visited Rome before my boyfriend has not. Thought staying around the P. di spagna or p. navona areas would be best as our stay is only 2/3 nights.

We are looking at:
Inn on the Spanish steps
D'Ingleterra Hotel
Raphael Hotel
Hassler Hotel (if summer special is valid).

Would appreciate any comments/suggestions - we are leaving in the next few weeks.

Thank you.
Old Jul 3rd, 2004, 12:53 AM

I've stayed at the Inghilterra, the Inn at the Spanish Steps and the Hassler. The Hassler is very grand, but a little stuffy I thought. And you always have to get up those steps to go to your hotel!

The Inghilterra is lovely; very friendly, classically furnished rooms, nice reception and restaurant (we had lunch on the outside terrace, opposite the Fendi shop, several times, and so did Mme Fendi!). Try to have a better than standard room; the standard ones can be very small. They have some rooms at the top with a terrace too, which would be perfect.

Last time we stayed at the Inn; very very friendly staff. Lovely rooftop terrace. The entrance to the hotel is right next door to Cafe Grecco, on the Via Condotti. The rooms and bathrooms were great, and I liked the fact that the rooms had wooden floors. Our room overlooked the Via Condotti, but it was fairly quiet in the evenings. The only negative I found here was that the beds were a bit hard.

I would very happily stay in any of these hotels again, but the Inn and the Inghilterra are definitely better value for money. I would see what kind of rooms you can get at which rate. All three hotels are very close together.
Old Jul 4th, 2004, 09:09 AM

I looked at several hotels in Rome for my honeymoon next week. We decided to book at the Grand de la Minerve. The rates were good and the location looks wonderful. They also have a rooftop restaurant. I will post a report when I return at the end of this month.
Old Jul 6th, 2004, 01:55 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the input - decided to stay at the Inn at the Spanish Steps. D'Ingleterra offered a great rate but was very unclear about the room type. This scared me.

Have secured reservations for 3 nights dinners - now to plan the touring. I have visited many times but my boyfriend has not - I keep reading about Scala Reale - wonder if this is too in-depth for a first time visitor.

Thanks again.
Old Jul 7th, 2004, 05:32 AM

Scala Reale too in depth for the first time visitor? We used them for the Orientation Hike and the Vatican Tour, and highly recommend them.

I would think whether they were "too in depth" would depend far more on your particular interests than on whether you are a first time visitor to Rome. They are detailed about the art & architecture they show you. That's their thing. Because the groups are limited to only 6 people, to some extent they can tailor to the group. But, you definitely get more than a sound bite about what you are seeing.

I also think using them helps to be efficient about a short time in Rome, for those who have that issue. And, they are good qith your questions on restaurants & getting tickets for cultural events, etc.
Old Jul 7th, 2004, 06:35 AM

Just got back from Italy and stayed at the Intercontinental de la Roma at the Spanish Steps. It's a great hotel that is centrally located. We also booked private tours of Vatican City and Ancient Rome through Scala Reale and they were a great way to see these impressive sites.
Old Jul 7th, 2004, 11:56 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your responses. Scala reale it is.