Hotels in Berlin

Search

Hotels in Berlin

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25th, 2004, 12:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotels in Berlin

I am looking for suggestions for a hotel in Berlin. I would like something located centrally near transportation as my husband cannot walk to much. Also do we need to hire a private guide or can we use the guide books and pick up tours when we get there?
Old Jan 25th, 2004, 01:07 AM
hsv

spiegelcjs,

it would help to know your budget limitations.

In general, for hotels in good to perfect locations, I would look primarily into those located in Berlin's Mitte district.

Top- end choices would be:
- Kempinski Hotel Adlon (5*,Unter den Linden Blvd., right opposite the Brandenburg Gate)
- Four Seasons Berlin (5*,on Gendarmenmarkt right by the German and French Dome churches)
- Hilton Berlin (4*,also on Gendarmenmarkt), which sometimes features some good internet rates with a good price/value ratio
- Westin Berlin (4*,on Friedrichstr. close to Unter den Linden and Gendarmenmarkt)
www.kempinski.com
www.fourseasons.com
www.hilton.com
www.westin.com

On the new (and a bit artificial) Potsdamer Platz area, there are the Grand Hyatt Berlin (5*,which is beautifully modern) and -just launched- the Berlin Marriott (4*) and Ritz Carlton (5*). There is a subway station adjacent to Potsdamer Platz, by foot it is about 10 min. from Brandenburg Gate and Unter den Linden.
www.hyatt.com
www.marriott.com
www.ritzcarlton.com

A bit further East, close to the Museums, Radisson will open a new property in about two months, I believe (4*).
www.radisson.com

Also on Gendarmenmarkt, there is a small Dorint Hotel (3/4*) which puts an emphasis on modern design.
www.dorint.com

I have also heard good comments about Hotel Bleibtreu (more of a 3*), which is a bit further West in the Center of old West Berlin close to Kurfuerstendamm.
www.bleibtreu.com

Enjoy Berlin
hsv
Old Jan 26th, 2004, 08:53 AM

There are two VERY nice and reasonably priced appartment hotels, both in great locations (Potsdamer Platz/Friedrichstraße). Try madison-berlin.de
Old Jan 26th, 2004, 09:04 AM

My favorite small and elegant hotel:

http://www.heckers-hotel.com/

Hecker's is right off K'dam. Has an amazing little brasserie next door, perhaps my favorite restaurant in Berlin, and serves a fantastic breakfast every morning. Rooms are wonderful, modern, and have super bathrooms -- ask for one with separate walk in shower and bathtubs for lots of roominess. The staff couldn't be nicer or more friendly. We've stayed there twice and would return in a heartbeat. (although our two trips were three years apart, they looked up our same room and gave it to us again when I mentioned in my first email reservation request how much we had liked our room the first time).
Old Jan 26th, 2004, 09:19 AM

We really liked the Hotel Astoria. You get off the train or subway at Zoolischer Garten and it's right there. It's very nice, great breakfasts, and a wonderful reception. We loved how easy it was to get everywhere. The Berlin Walks tours start right at the train station and the HOHO bus trips start right outside the door. YOu can walk to the KaDeWe and all the shopping, plus great restaurants nearby. I can't imagine staying anywhere else.
Old Jan 27th, 2004, 06:53 AM
AllyPally

Berlin, like many big cities, doesn't have a centre. I would suggest staying in Mitte, then your husband doesn't have to walk far to see many of the main sights.

When I visited Berlin, I stayed in 'west' Berlin. I should have stayed 'east', nr Brandenberg Gate, Unter den Linden, etc.

I can highly recommend Berlin Walks. We did their 'Third Reich' walk, which was very interesting indeed. I have read details of a private guide on this board but I cannot recall. If you do a search, you should be able to find it!!

Good luck! You will love Berlin.

Old Jan 27th, 2004, 07:15 AM

in november we stayed at the westin berlin...it is in the former east and close to everything in that sector...you would be very pleased with it....hiring a guide makes things easy...we used nick gay from berlinwalks.com....he was expensive but well worth it....

make sure you go to potsdam...the checkpoint charlie museum is greatly expanded and well worth the money....
Old Feb 10th, 2004, 08:05 PM

I just got back from Berlin. After much thought we chose the brand new Marriott Hotel, which was a gem. It opened on 1/12/2004 so was only 17 days old. Everything about it was marvelous. The room was comfortable and you can choose 2 doubles or 1 king. The restaurant is a steak and chops place and is very good. Try the pork chop. I had mine with pepper sauce. They have a good breakfast buffet that comes with the room rate. The staff is very attentive and friendly. Fitness room is very good with up to date machines and pool and sauna is nice. Price is good now too for Europe.

It is centrally locate at Potsdam Platz so you can walk easily to restaurants, movies and shopping nearby. The subway is very close too.

Neil
Old Feb 10th, 2004, 08:08 PM

Because your husband cant walk much, there is a bus tour that lasts about 2 1/2 hours that is well worth taking to get a feel for the town. The narration as you ride is by a canned program and headphones so you get a clear concise description of what you are seeing. We used that tour to decide where we wanted to spend additional time.

Neil