Berlin - which area to stay?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1st, 2003, 08:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi! We are looking for a hotel in Berlin by the end of Oct. We have searched the Berlin Tourist Information and found a lot of hotels, but don't know which area to stay. We are 2 girls on a budget and looking for some safe area. Any advise? Thanks!
Old Oct 1st, 2003, 08:39 AM

Hi - we stayed at the Berliner Hof hotel. It is right in the middle of the Europa Center. That is a lively place with the usual crowd, but we never felt unsafe even at night - usually because in the square there are always crowds with some sort of activity going on. There is also an english speaking tourist info center under the hotel. It is also a couple blocks from the main train staion, which is where you can catch all the subways & trains. So it is in the perfect location. The hotel itself in nice, we had a large room. It faces the main street - the Kudam.
Old Oct 1st, 2003, 08:42 AM
AllyPally

Hi Niki. I was in Berlin a few weeks ago and stayed 'west'. However, I would recommend staying in East Berlin. I think it was livelier and more interesting. You should be able to find something low budget. I never felt unsafe in Berlin. You would take the normal precautions when visiting a major city. Have fun!

Old Oct 1st, 2003, 11:19 AM
Intrepid

I generally stay in the area near the KaDeWe Dept. store..not all that far from the Europa Center area mentioned above. I've never felt unsafe either at night or early morning.
Be aware that regardless of where you stay the city is pretty much saturated with public transport, particularly U-Bahn (not quite as saturated as Paris but close) so getting to just about anywhere isn't a problem if you choose to use that mode.

Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 04:01 AM
hsv

niki,

I am with AllyPally on this- the Eastern part of the city currently "outcharms" the Western sections currently in my opinion.
Look for hotels in a district called "Mitte". Best areas are close to the boulevard "Unter den Linden", Friedrichstrasse and Gendarmenmarkt.
There is a certain cosmopolitan buzz about former East Berlin, that simply cannot be provided by the more saturated parts in West Berlin. Thus, night- and daylife are currently more interesting in that section plus you will be located in the historic center of Berlin (do not expexct too many real old buildings, though) close to the fabulous "Museumsinsel" providing great museums featuring antique art e.g.
Enjoy your trip
hsv
Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 04:30 AM
AllyPally

I went for "kaffee und kuchen" in Savigyplatz in west Berlin and enjoyed watching the upwardly mobile families. I also had a meal in a district called Prenzlauer Berg. It was interesting experiencing the different areas of Berlin. But now I agree with hsv about staying near Gendarmenmarkt and Unter den Linden. These areas are so beautiful and utterly charming. I enjoyed strolling up and down UdL. Plus you are very close to the museums, Reichstag, Brandenburger Tor, etc. I know you are on a budget but if you can manage it, do try to go to the Newton bar on Gendarmenmarkt. This is in homage to a native Berliner - Helmut Newton - one of the world's great photographers. I have long admired his work in Vogue. Giant photos of nude women adorn the walls. Go at night when it is candlelit and everyone is laughing outside, under the space heaters. This bar by no means defines Berlin - it is just one of the many charming places to visit.

Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 04:05 PM

niki- I second all the recommendations for "Mitte". I particularly enjoyed Ally-Pally's comment on Savigney Platz as it brought back very fond memories. Actually I wouldn't worry too much about where you stay as Berlin is very easy to get around in. Enjoy!
Old Oct 3rd, 2003, 12:28 AM
hsv

AllyPally's really good in this area: Newton Bar is just great. Almost opposite to it there is a club in the basement of the Hilton Hotel that is quite good- and not only frequented by the hotel's guests, which would make it nightmarish in my opinion, but rather caters to a local crowd.
Good Schnitzels can be had at Lutter und Wegner right opposite Newton Bar or around the corner at the infamous Borchardt (where German chancellor Schroeder and other celebreties often can be spotted).
Old Oct 7th, 2003, 07:12 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all for your advice, we have booked a hotel in "Mitte" district.