Search

To go to Berlin or not?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20th, 2005, 01:21 PM
yyz
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To go to Berlin or not?

My husband has a conference in Berlin from May 23 - 25 and if I attend with him we would stay there for a week. The conference is held in the Estrel Hotel and I assume it is located outside the City centre in a convention type hotel.

Since I would be on my own for 3 - 4 days, can anyone recommend an itinerary? Also, would I be safe travelling around on my own? From previous posts here I get the impression that Berlin may not be the safest city in which to wander.

Finally, can anyone recommend a hotel closer to attractions where we may stay so that my husband might commute back and forth to the convention centre and I would be within walking distance of shops, etc.?

Many thanks for your help.

yyz
Old Mar 20th, 2005, 02:54 PM

Berlin is an excellent city to visit!

I never got the impression that Berlin was unsafe to wander around in - at least in any area where tourists are likely to frequent. Berlin has a very good transport system. Look for a city center hotel near a major transit point, like Friedrichstrasse (my preference), Zoo, Alexanderplatz, or Ostbahnhof. I don't know where that hotel is, but you should be able to figure out if it has easy transit links to one of the above.

Look at Fodors and Frommers recommended itineraries for a start.
Old Mar 20th, 2005, 03:32 PM

I second WillTravel's comments. Berlin is a fascinating city. Among sites I would recommend - visit the Pergamon Musuem and the Reichstag. The Pergamon is one of the best musuems in Europe IMO. In the Reichstag go all the way to the top and take a walk in the glass dome on the rooftop. Step out on the roof for some great views of Berlin.

Berlin has 2 very good Zoos as well. In west Berlin and Tierpark in east Berlin.
Berlin is one of the greenest cities I have visited. Parks everywhere. I would say Berlin is safe. In 2 visits, I have never had any problems. I definitely plan on going back. Enjoy your visit.
Old Mar 21st, 2005, 03:33 AM
yyz
Original Poster

Many thanks for your kind replies and advice. Please accept my apologies for this newbie's double post (oops).
Old Mar 21st, 2005, 10:34 AM

Sure, go. Berlin is not any less safe than London or Paris - all cities have their less-than-desirable neighborhoods far away from where you, as a tourist, would be.

Looks like the Estrel is on the S-Bahn ring around the city, so you should be set as far as transportation goes.

You'll be close to the Treptower Park, which is where the Soviets built their bombastic victory monument using marble from Hitler's chancellery. Not many tourists visit the site, but it is pretty interesting, and not too far from where you're staying.
Old Mar 21st, 2005, 10:43 AM

traveled on my own there last year..felt very safe, even at night.

tours aren't really my thing, but there are two excellent walking tours i reccomend. they meet in the am (i think 10:30am) outside of zoo station. you'll see signs for it. they even have one tour that goes out to Sachsenhausen (concentration camp just outside of berlin). highly reccomend.

there's also a great chocolate shop in the Gendarnmarkt where i spent hours..