Search

Need to get excited about going to Berlin

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20th, 2006, 01:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need to get excited about going to Berlin

Hi,

I'm winging it and going to Berlin in Mid March as that is where I can get a frequent flier ticket to. Trying to get excited about it. Will be there for about 3-4 days, then heading to Spain to meet up with some pals.

So, share what you loved about the city. Site, hotels, places to eat, etc.

Thanks so much!
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 02:00 PM

iltte, I have not been to Berlin but everything that I have read the past few years say that Berlin is on the cutting edge and is a terrific city to visit. I am sure besides whatever information that you receive here that if you do some research (Google perhaps for Berlin Tourist Bureau) you will get very excited about visiting Berlin. Hope you will post a trip report after you get back home.
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 02:02 PM

Maybe you should skip it and go to spain early.
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 02:11 PM

Berlin is a fascinating city! My husband was not too enthusiastic when I insisted we spend sometime in Berlin, on our way from Dresden to Milan. He quickly changed his mind when we arrived. The museums on the islands are incredible (make sure to see the Pergamon). The architecture, both old and new, is striking. It's fun to stroll the streets. We had great meals and look forward to returning someday. Berlin is exciting!
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 05:57 AM
mvs

Me and my wife felt the same way and ended up loving Berlin!!. We stayed at the Westin Grand in the Mitte district-it was the hotel used in the Bourne Supremacy-Some fun things to do: Have coffee and walk all over the Mitte district-former East Berlin (Near Checkpoint Charlie, the museums, the Brandenburg gate, etc.) Go to the Nikolai qtr (not sure about spelling)-near Mitte (across river)-old historic district w/all kinds of restaurants & bars. Went to Ka Dee Wah (again, spelling might be off), europe's largest dept store. Rented bikes and rode through the Tiergarten (Berlin's version of Central Park). Found a great beirgarten there that was located on a lake. Went to a concentration camp just north of the city. Visited numerous historic sights, went to Potsdamer Platz. A local recommended Lowenbrau restaurant (In Mitte district). Fabulous traditional german food and seemed like all patrons were local, not tourists. Getting around the city is easy via their subway systems-the U-Bahn and the S-bahn. Go-you won't regret it!!
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 06:12 AM

Berlin is SUCH an exciting city; one of my top five cities to visit in Europe (even tops Barcelona on my list). Berlin has so much to offer to visitors. Depeding on your likes, you have so many museums to visit and different historical sites. The museums range from modern art to ancient art. The architecture of the new buildings is AMAZING!

I had the same attitude as you.. why go to Berlin? It's depressing and boring. But I was totally amazed when I got there. You won't regret spending time in Berlin! You may actually enjoy Berlin more than Spain, I know I did!!

I enjoyed walking everywhere and just exploring the different neighborhoods. I would go back to Berlin in a heartbeat!
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 06:36 AM

We went in April last year for 5 days & loved it - to the extent that we're going back in October this year. Here'a link to my trip report - http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34614269
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 06:49 AM

easyjet has hub in berlin so it will be easy to get to spain inexpensively if you plan ahead.
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 06:56 AM

I have to agree with the others that Berlin, even with all of its painful associations and horrors for some, is definitely worth a visit.

I don't usually stay in Mitte but rather in a favorite hotel a couple of blocks from the Ka-Da-We department store which puts me close to a lot of the things, and nightlife I enjoy there.

A couple of years ago there was a saying that, "the crane is the state bird of Berlin..." the construction crane, that is. The city seemed to be (re)building its way out of the WWII East Germany The Wall era as fast as possible: construction everywhere and the Potsdammer Platz uprising of steel and glass was a sight to behold.

If you want to see the more usual "palace" stuff then a day trip out to Potsdam is a must either for Sans Souci or the Nieuw Palace, or both.

Checkpoint Charlie Museum...brings it all home in terms of the desperation for freedom.

I could go on and on...and do go to the KDW, the largest department store on the Continent..the food hall is legendary.

Make the most of it...every coneceivable activity is available, even the ones a lot of posters here pretend they never heard of!
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 01:30 PM

Hi
We visited Berlin last sept. stayed at the Movenpick Berlin near Anhalter station. Didn't know what to expect, especially with its history. we found it to be a fascinating city and not dreary but still aware of its historical importance. The Ka Dee Wah was a great dept. store. We had lunch at the food court there. The history of Berlin is absorbing and it is on the cutting edge.
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 10:21 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. I am all set with my ticket and will be staying with a friend. Can't get better than that!