Humburg or Berlin

Aug 10th, 2006, 11:09 PM
Original Poster

Humburg or Berlin

We are going from Paris to Germany to spend 3 days....which should we go to Berlin or Hamburg....and Why?
Aug 10th, 2006, 11:31 PM

I would always go to Berlin. Hamburg is nice and affluent in certain neighborhoods, but has not as much to offer in sightseeing than the newly crowned capital of Germany,Berlin. There is also a lot more flights out of Berlin-Schonefeld, if you want to continue to travel throughout Europe from Berlin. You can do a roundtrip to Italy for less then 150 bucks. I personally love to go to Eastern European countries, such as Czech Republic (Prag is wonderful) or Poland (Gdansk). You see a different Europe and its only a couple of hours train ride from Berlin to get to these destinations. Seeing Berlin for 3 days is perfect. Use one day to do a sighseeing trip throughout the city. Take the evening walk in Prenzlauer Berg (Part of former East Berlin, about 3 subway stations away from the Alexanderplatz)and dine outside in one of the many restaurants. Take a boat ride on the Spree River (long tour) to see the city and the surrounding areas from a different perspective. Use one day to see one of the amazing Museums. Use the rest of the time to sit at the Kudamm or Alexanderplatz to just watch people.
Have fun.

P.S. I lived in Berlin for 8 years just about the time when the wall disappeared.
Aug 11th, 2006, 01:13 AM

A very short answer to your short on personal interest information post: there is a LOT more to do, both day and night, in Berlin, both "cultural" and otherwise.
Aug 11th, 2006, 07:41 AM

Just flew from Tallinn, Estonia to Berlin. Berlin will keep you busy for th three days and maybe more.
Aug 11th, 2006, 01:09 PM

Berlin has history (too much), magnificent museums and galleries and buzz as it completes its reconstruction, enough to keep you fascinated for weeks, if you want.

Hamburg is a handsome, prosperous city, impressive to walk around but it isn't a capital; it's comfortable and, well, a bit provincial and self-satisfied. If you'll forgive a comment on your title, Bah! Humburg!
Aug 12th, 2006, 03:02 AM

I lived in Hamburg for 10 years. I say go to Berlin. It was my favorite day trip when I lived in Hamburg. If you have the desire to go to Hamburg still (it is a wonderful city), then do a day trip - it is only an hour and some by train to Hamburg Hauptbahnhof from BErlin Hauptbahnhof with the ICE (fast train.

Berlin is a cultural, historic, and artistic metropol and I think that in 10 more years or so, it will be comparible with London, Paris, and Rome as one of the top European destinations. The infrastructure in the eastern part of the city is new, the city is just a myriad of cultural events, with hip areas, great food, great hotels, and lots to do.

Hamburg is more serene, calmer, and is basically a very wealthy, majestic city on the Elbe. SOme great cool areas, also great food, but much quieter and smaller than Berlin.

Viel Glück...

Sep 1st, 2006, 06:50 AM

I loved Hamburg for a day, but Berlin for three days is wonderful!