Apartments in Brugge

Oct 25th, 2006, 10:38 PM
Original Poster

Apartments in Brugge

We would like to rent an apartment or a B&B in Brugge for 3 nights over a weekend at the end of April. There will be 2 couples so we need suitable accommodation. We will have a car.

I have looked at Anna's House www.etimmerman.be which seems nice, it is on the green belt not far from 'tZand.

I also like the look of the loft at Absoluut Verhulst B&B www.b-bverhulst.com and De Drie Koningen www.ddk.be though this may be streching the budget - just too many nice places to chose from.

Anyone have any recommendations for me?
Thank you
Oct 26th, 2006, 04:50 AM

topping.
Oct 26th, 2006, 04:21 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Budman
Anyone, please?
Oct 27th, 2006, 06:38 PM

Maudie,

My wife (30) and I (29) stayed at Absoluut Verhulst B&B at the end of Sept. 06. We loved it! We stayed in the superior double room 2 nights. We wished we would have stayed 1 more extra night. The room was very nice, the breakfast each morning was excellent, and Benno and Frieda's hospitality was wonderful. The private bathroom was a little small but adequate with nothing more than a shower and a toilet. The sink was out in the bedroom. The loft might have something larger. The bed was very comfortable. The other 2 rooms were occupied while we were there, but noise was not an issue. We barely even noticed anyone was there. The weather was cool and comfortable so air conditioning was not an issue. The location was very close to the square (6-7 minutes walk) and many nice restaurants. Benno and Frieda are so friendly and will answer any questions you have and make sure you are comfortable.

This was our first time in Brugge and we absolutely loved it! Wandering the streets and drinking excellent Belgium beer... I miss it. Needless to say, we would definitely stay at Verhulst again. You will have to pay cash when you leave there, but that wasn't a problem. Let me know if you have any other questions. If you have never been to Brugge, I would be happy to share our photos too. Take care. - Tim
Oct 27th, 2006, 07:07 PM
Original Poster

Hi Tim,
Thanks so much for the info, glad to hear your positive remarks. I really like the look of Verhulst and the position sounds just right. I have read that you need to stay about 5-8 mins walk away from the centre that why I am a bit unsure of Anna's House although it looks nice and the price is good.

This is our first trip to Europe and we will be away for 2 months so we need to be fairly budget minded. We are flying into Schipol then renting a car to driving to Brugge.
We would like to do a days driving to see some of the WW1 sites & hopefully stay for the Last Post at Ypres & pay our respects. Other than that just to enjoy the town and the beer!
I would love to see your photo's, it looks to be such a beautiful place.

Thank you for taking the time to reply,
Kind regards
Maudie
Oct 28th, 2006, 05:04 AM

Last July our family stayed at Number 11 B$B. It is about a 5 (or less) minute walk to the center. The home is BEAUTIFUL and the owners are even better. It was the highlight of our trip! You will not believe the breakfast! So delicious! We had the top two rooms on the third floor, which was not a bad step up. Private bath. They also have another B$B they were just finishing rebuilding and a private suite on the bottom floor and rooms on the second floor. Enjoy!
Oct 28th, 2006, 05:19 AM

Dear Maudie,
I second the stay at Absoluut Verhulst. My husband and I stayed there this past July, just at the very peak of the European heat wave. Despite lack of a/c, we were still comfortable... of course, that won't be an issue for you in April. Here's what I wrote in my travel report:

"Accommodations: B&B Verhulst. Another great Fodors discovery! Thank you, Wren! We loved the B&B, and Benno and his wife Frieda were wonderful hosts. Benno is a retired businessman, he and his wife run a truly lovely, elegant B&B that is close to the center yet on a very quiet street. Excellent hosts. Benno's creative energy is impressive and he has a sly sense of humor; he gives us something he has written about what it means to be Belgian, which is clever yet, informative. Frieda exudes an easy warmth.

Our room is large and comfortable, tastefully decorated with a few choice antiques, and they provide a fan, which is much needed in the heat. Nighttime cools down enough, but the fan helps. Breakfast here wins the award for the trip, with enough options to fill us all up for the day. Benno makes eggs, and there are meats, pastries, fruit (cooked and fresh), bread, jams, and yogurt, cheese... I lost track of everything on the table. Weather was cool enough in the morning to sit and eat in the garden. All of this felt luxurious, but the price was not: 80 euros/night. "

We found it to be an excellent place to stay, and and you could find no better hosts than Benno and Frieda.

Paule
Oct 28th, 2006, 07:10 AM

We stayed in the loft at Absoluut Verhulst April of this year, and it would be fine for two couples. There is a double bed upstairs with its own bathroom/toilet, and downstairs there are two twin beds and a second toilet. There is also a separate living room with a little table and chairs. It was the highlight of our trip. All the comments about Freda and Benno mentioned already are true. My daughter still talks about Benno's egg specialties.
Oct 28th, 2006, 07:16 PM
Original Poster

Paule, I did copy your original posting onto my word document for Brugge and it was one of the reasons I was keen on Verhulst.

Nicol, great to hear from someone that has stayed there, it really sounds great. Although it costs more than some of the apartments I have been looking at I think the breakfast might justify the extra euro's.

Thanks everyone.
Jan 14th, 2007, 07:42 AM

We have stayed in two different apartments rented by Mr and Mrs Gheeraert in Riddersstrat (fantastic central location).Both were very good and we would stay there again if returning to Brugge.Their e-mail is [email protected]

Search this Thread