Aberdeen Sunday Breakfast?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29th, 2007, 05:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok I know breakfast is not a big thing in Scotland (but I've found TONS of info on restaurants in Edinburgh that do have breakfast so I don't know where that idea comes from), but I know my Dad is going to want a big Scottish breakfast on Sunday. They are staying at the Holiday Inn Express in Aberdeen where a proper breakfast is not offered.

So where can we go? I know of the Sand Dollar Cafe on the beach but I don't know how big of a place that is (it sounds small), and that is about it. There must be some place that does a nice breakfast. Another hotel maybe?

Please help

Thank you!
Old May 2nd, 2007, 08:11 AM

It's ENTIRELY traditional to have breakfast at the beach. The Washington or the Inversnecky are the usual haunts, rather than modern stuff like the Sand Dollar.

More effete West End places would be Dizzy's or Cafe Society (as I typed that, I remembered that Cafe Soc has closed)

Old May 2nd, 2007, 09:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Shelia
Old May 11th, 2007, 06:10 AM
Original Poster

I just realized that the Sunday I'm asking about is Father's Day. Is there no where that does something special for this? A few years ago we were in Aberdeen on Father's Day and we had a nice lunch that the AFC put on at Pittodrie (sp?). No idea about breakfasts though.

My mother-in-law passed The Filling Station today and she said it was nice inside and they have a 2.10GBP breakfast on Sundays from 9am. That is probably what we will end up with if there's nothing else going on special somewhere for Father's Day.

I think it is quite near their hotel also?

Old May 11th, 2007, 06:15 AM
Original Poster

Oh and ps. according to Dizzy's website, it seems they don't serve breakfast.

Frankenstein's does a full Scottish breakfast, but not until 11am on a Sunday, we are needing more like 10am.

Slain's Castle Pub also has one, but they don't have a website anymore it seems (they used to!)
Old May 12th, 2007, 03:37 AM

It may be just my perception but I don't think Father's Day is such a big day here. But if you want to do this, then I have to say that I can't find anything advertised.

I am absolutely convinced that if I were doing this, I'd go to the beach.

There's nothing wrong with the Filling station- it's right next door to my office and I often nip in for lunch when I'm working at the weekends, but it is totally generic. You could be anywhere in the known world.

It is near their hotel, but if that's going to be your criterion, I'd suggest you have a look at Beluga and the Albyn, which are about the same distance but the other way up Union Street

Dizzy's used to do Sunday brunch. I'll nip past and check.

Slain's castle is a young peoples' dive!

Old May 12th, 2007, 09:40 AM
Original Poster

I like the look of both of those places, especially the Albyn. Prices are steep though, but it is Father's Day.

Going to the beach would be my first choice, but all of those places feel like they might be too small? (I only found a website for the Inversnecky though). There will be 7-8 of us, and I fear that on a Sunday we might not get seated?

I will ask them about these two new choices though on Union street, they seem very nice. I looked at the Dizzy's website again and it says they arent open on Sundays at all, I emailed them to double-check....

Oh, and we really like Slain's Castle Pub! That was 4 years ago though and we were in our twenties...

Thanks for all your help, it's becoming stressful for me trying to make sure my parents have fun, and keeping in mind my in-laws also.
Old May 13th, 2007, 07:27 AM
Original Poster

You know, I don't know WHY I said the Filling Station, I meant The Justice Mil(http://www.jdwetherspoon.co.uk/pubfi...utletNumber=72), I think I'm losing it.
Opinion on the Filling Station?

Beluga might be in since they offer blood pudding which my husband and Dad really want with breakfast, and The Filling Station does not have it.

Albyn is out since they don't open until 12:30, but it does look nice. (My mother-in-law is having an all day open house for us at 2pm that day, so that is why we wanted to eat earlier... about 10am).

Dizzy's emailed back and said no not open on Sundays.

I think we will definitely go to the beach for breakfast during the week... so now it is just between Beluga and the Filling Station for Sunday.
Old May 13th, 2007, 10:35 AM

Go to Beluga. The Filling Station is ordinary.

And check opening times at the beach during the week.

Years ago, Elvira came to visit, and I had organised that we would have breakfast at the Washington after she got off the early train. It didn't work
Old May 17th, 2007, 01:03 PM

How about breakfast at the restaurant at Simpson's Hotel? It's quite a nice place on Queen Street, and they do a nice fresh cooked traditional Scottish breakfast.
Old May 17th, 2007, 09:18 PM

That would be Queen's Road. Any of the good hotels will do breakfast, of course
Old May 18th, 2007, 05:20 AM
Original Poster

I guess the problems with the hotels is that they are charging 15 pounds.

Beluga sounds just right.
Old May 19th, 2007, 09:36 AM
Original Poster

Here's info on Simpson's for future reference since this info is not on their website.

"Yes, we do offer breakfast to non-residents. The opening hours for breakfast
are 7am - 10am Monday to Friday and 7:30 - 10:30 Saturday and Sunday. I
would recommend that you reserve a table.

The cost of a Full Scottish breakfast would be £14.95, this includes fruit
juices, croissants, pastries and cereals along with your typical full
breakfast (Eggs, bacon, sausage, black pudding, and tomato)"

Beluga and all the others mentioned previously in this thread are 6.99 GBP and under for the full Scottish breakfast. I'm interested in the pancakes, eggs, and bacon at Beluga myself. Also, 6.99 GBP.

Old May 20th, 2007, 09:55 AM
Original Poster

uh oh, the Illicit Still also looks good (http://www.illicit-still.co.uk/).

Beluga's or Illicit Still?
Old May 20th, 2007, 09:40 PM

I really really think you should go to the Beach.

We ended up here yesterday

http://olivetreegroup.co.uk/blackoli...16&mid=300. It does breakfast on Sunday too.
Old May 21st, 2007, 04:40 AM
Original Poster

That sounds nice also.

We won't have a car that Sunday morning because I realized my husband's Dad will be taking it to church. It's kind of a pain to go to the beach on a Sunday with a bus I thought. We'll see. We definitely want to go during the week one morning, if not that day.