Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Brunch after mass at St. Patrick's Cathedral?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19th, 2006, 03:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where should we go for brunch? Most likely an earlish brunch, as we plan on going to the 9am mass and will be hungry afterwards. So we are looking in the 10:30/11 time frame.

I thought about Isabella's, but that won't make sense if we are heading to Chelsea/Greenwich Village after brunch. We also will be having dinner there already one night.

Oh, and looking for somewhere in the $20 range or less. (each).

Thanks again.
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 05:02 AM

You're really looking for breakfast at that hour. I know it may be semantics, but brunch in NY starts "officially" at noon b/c you can't serve alcohol before then on Sunday. One idea is to have a light bite of a bagel or a muffin after mass and wait til noon for a proper brunch. The Chelsea Market is actually a good option for either a light bite or breakfast. Sarabeth's is there for either or have a bite at Amy's Bread.

If you want breakfast, Pastis or Florent (in the meatpacking distr. near Chelsea) would be fun.
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 08:59 AM
Original Poster

ahh, thanks for the suggestions. I didn't even think of the alcohol part. I just noticed some places said brunch opens at 10am. I suppose we could have something light to eat before mass and then have brunch later.
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 10:40 AM

If you don't care about having an alcoholic drink (bloody mary etc.) and you want more breakfast type food (ie egg dishes, pancakes, waffles), breakfast is just as good as "brunch" and then you have more of the afternoon free for shopping and sightseeing.
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 10:56 AM
Original Poster

Yes you are right. We don't need to have "brunch", we can have that at home if we want. I think we'll go somewhere for breakfast near our hotel (Excelsior), then mass, then head down to Chelsea Market (have lunch there) and Greenwhich Village.

Any ideas for breakfast near our hotel, uws somewhere? Something that opens at 8 ideally.

Thank you so much!
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 12:03 PM

Aha! Many choices. Sarabeth's on Amsterdam & 80th (imo good if you like pastry, waffles and pancakes). EJ's Luncheonette on the same block. Barney's Greengrass if you want bagel and smoked fish (salmon, whitefish etc.) Nice Matin off the lobby of the Lucerne hotel.
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 12:16 PM

EJ's you'll wait an hour to eat, and frankly, it's not that great.

Barney's is really old school. Good stuff.

Old Jan 21st, 2006, 06:21 AM

You probably won't have to wait an hour to eat anywhere at 8 a.m. in New York. at 11 definitely but not 8.