Best chain restaurant for breakfast?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31st, 2005, 08:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We've gotten in the habit of going out for Sunday brunch/breakfast. I'm familiar with all the local spots that I like for breakfast, but was wondering if there are any chains that do it well too? We love First Watch and Bob Evans. Any other recommendations? I saw that Copelands has a Sunday brunch but I've never been. Would love some new ideas!
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 08:33 AM

Is this for anywhere in the US or at a particular location?
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 09:36 AM
Original Poster

Anywhere, really. I'm in Ohio but am asking about chains as not to limit responses to local spots. We've gotten in the habit of rotating the same spots every Sunday morning (dh works Saturdays so Sunday breakfast is our regular family meal out). I figured it would be good info for when traveling as well. I've never been to a Waffle House and have heard mixed reviews (after a health inspection report I saw on tv I've been a bit scared to try it!).
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 09:50 AM

Just be aware that there are certain types who prowl this thread who look down upon those of us who enjoy chain restaurants. That being said I will offer Cracker Barrel as my fav spot for breakfast. They used to be pretty much in the south along interstates but I believe that they are pretty much all over now and there are several in Ohio.
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 10:05 AM

IHOP, and not just at breakfast.

Waffle Houses differ widely. And the customers at 2 a.m. are very different than 10 a.m.
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 10:10 AM

If we lived near a Cracker Barrell, that's where I'd want to eat!
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 10:12 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, IHOP's must "differ widely" too, because the one near me is absolutely the pits. Not TOO bad for breakfast but for lunch and dinner nothing but frozen junk fried in week-old grease. (I must admit I haven't been for a few years though).
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 10:12 AM

I frown upon those who go to a "chain" restaurant for breakfast. But if you must, Bob Evans is OK. Thing is, Ohio has no real quality breakfast places like the east does. Ohio considers The Olive Garden "italian " food.

Too bad a place like "The Cooker" doesn't serve breakfast. Does "Max and Ermas"?
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 10:22 AM

IHOP and Waffle House, and Denny's (in a pinch).

Bob Evans is not good.
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 10:37 AM

Cracker Barrel is popular for breakfast. I suppose it's fine to support them if you aren't opposed to their various lawsuits and continued practices of major discrimination. I don't think I could properly digest my food there.

I'm trying to figure out why you want a chain for breakfast. My experience has been that that's the best meal of the day at the little local Mom and Pop places. We have a lot of the chains here in Naples, but none of them quite match up to our own Cove Inn Coffee Shop, Mr. Mom's, The White House, and Three Sisters.
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 10:43 AM

I'm an unapologetic NYC food snob and I readily admit that I like the occassional breakfast from Denny's. So SLAM me if you will, but I'm comfortable straying away from the path of culinary excellance now and again.
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 10:59 AM

In the Portland, OR, area, the Elmer's chain is a popular breakfast spot. I love their silver dollar pancakges; my husband likes their German pancakes. FYI, the plot to attack skater Nancy Kerrigan was hatched at an Elmer's. For some odd reason, that fact isn't included in the historical milestons on the Elmer's web site.
http://www.elmers-restaurants.com/history.html
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 11:11 AM

In Astoria/Seaside/Cannon Beach area we like The Pig n Pancake! Fun place with many items to choose from, very family-friendly! ***kim***
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 11:18 AM

My opinion on eating breakfast at a chain- frankly I've found little difference in quality between mom and pop style diners/restaurants and chains like Denny's. Just more local color and ambience in the mom and pops. But there is a downside- say you have a bad experience either with service, or the food, etc. Chains are franchises and operate under customer satisfaction guidelines. Mom and Pops only have self imposed standards, meaning if Mom and Pop got up on the wrong side of the bed that morning you might not get a free meal if you have a bad experience.

We have some good mom and pops down here in Key Largo (Ganim's, Harriet's) but like I said in terms of food quality, quantity, and price, not to mention service, they are really not any better or worse then Denny's.
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 11:43 AM

Original Pancake House - is a "chain" but independently owned (i believe). There aren't too many throughout the country - but whenever I am traveling I always look for them - very good!
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 11:56 AM

I can't remember the last time I was in one around home, but if we're on the road, Denny's works just fine. The food is consistent, and you have to appreciate the creativity on the menu: Moon over My-hammy (I think).
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 12:03 PM

You can't beat a Sausage, Egg and Cheese Taquito from Whataburger.
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 12:05 PM
Fairhope

Kim: re Pig N Pancake--- Do they have something call "pig in a blanket" My granmother's favorite for me!!

Old Jan 31st, 2005, 12:14 PM
Original Poster

I only asked for chains because I figured I would get more responses than if I asked for best breakfast spots in Cincinnati. I know all the good local spots, but some times there are good chains too and if they don't specialize in breakfast, you might not know about them.

Congrats to ahhnold on trying every breakfast spot in the state of Ohio. You must be a pretty big guy!
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 12:18 PM

Fairhope, www.pignpancake.com is a website you might enjoy viewing! Yes, it's my favorite there! 3 Little Piggies in a Blanket, I like to drown them in boysenberry syrup!

My little pink piggie (Hugo) I picked up last trip sits on my computer. ***kim*** (What's the symbol for the pig icon,LOL?)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -