First time cruisers, Veendam, Aug 22nd sailing

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12th, 2008, 08:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone have just been reading threads re Veendam, so am panicking a bit about our trip. We do not have assigned cabin does that mean we will get an awful one! Just has MM on booking which I have found on the layout but does not mean a lot with not being on a cruise before. Should I try to get a room organised before we go? I booked via VacationsToGo and did find them very efficient with booking but only booked an inside cabin.Comments please.
Old Jul 12th, 2008, 09:58 PM

Just back from a wonderful HAL cruise on the Ryndam, which is identical to the Veendam. Your cabin is an inside one, but perhaps you have a guaranteed MM which means you could be upgraded, since you don't have an assigned cabin yet. That would be great, but if not, you still will enjoy all the benefits of the cruise, as you won't be spending much time in your room.All you're lacking is a window, but you'll have a curtain as if you did. A poster on cruisecritic.com said they'd always booked the least expensive cabin, and kept the tv on the channel that shows where the ship is at that moment.... a good idea! If you haven't checked out www.cruisecritic.com, go there and click on Holland America and you'll find loads of good information. Happy Cruising!
Old Jul 12th, 2008, 10:06 PM

I wouldn't worry at all. The guaranteed categories are usually upgraded but even so - I have sailed many cruises in an inside cabin. They are the exact same floor plan as an outside or even higher categores (unless you get into the suites) As andeesue says you can leave the tv on the channel that has the camera on the bridge so you can always see where you are going. And again you will not spend much time at all in the cabin - too much to do and see on deck let alone EAT!!! The Veendam is a lovely ship so just relax and enjoy.
Old Jul 13th, 2008, 12:32 AM
Original Poster

Thanks both for your comments that has put my mind at rest. I am counting the days to departure, can't wait.
Old Jul 13th, 2008, 02:50 PM

Your captain has a super blog:

http://www.avidcruiser.com/albert/

I access this several times a week. Even though I haven't sailed with HAL, I find it fascinating. Click on "Archives" on the right hand side of the page to read prior posts. We sailed the Inside Passage on Celebrity in May and am assuming that's your itinerary as well.
Old Jul 13th, 2008, 09:50 PM
Original Poster

Betsy, thanks for the link to captains blog I found it most interesting and have signed up for emails from him. I shall be able to pass the website onto friends so they can see how we are going on our cruise.
Old Jul 14th, 2008, 06:37 AM

Isn't the blog cool, greynomadnz? I hadn't realized that it was possible to subscribe to get it by email, so thank you for that.
Old Jul 14th, 2008, 09:38 AM

Not on Veendam, but my father paid the lowest price possible, guaranteed with update. He got the same cabin as ours with window, only his was "inside" without a window. Everything else was the same.

And you will know your cabin number well in advance, he knew his before the cruise.
Old Jul 14th, 2008, 05:47 PM
Original Poster

I got my first captains email today Betsy so pleased I mentioned it to you.
FainaAgain I was told I might get an upgrade if I chose not to get room allotted at time of booking so am hoping I do and it will be a nice suprise!