Cabin Location Question

Search

Cabin Location Question

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14th, 2005, 05:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cabin Location Question

We will be on the Century, Continental deck, our cabin is in the 4000's. Is there a better cabin location for the same cruise price?
Old Jun 14th, 2005, 03:24 PM

Do not know this ship but my advice on cabins. Most people want to stay on th uppper decks but The lower on the ship the more stable you are - you feel less movement. Also aiming toward the middle of the ship is good for stability.
Old Jun 15th, 2005, 02:10 PM

I agree with Shar...you're going to want a cabin as low and as mid ship as possible. I have no idea how cruise lines have been able to charge more for being up high for the exact same cabin as lower decks when it's actually less desirable. They're pulling the wool over many people's eyes.
Old Jun 15th, 2005, 03:25 PM

I agree, but don't tell the cruise lines--I like getting what is, for us, a more desirable cabin, for less money.
Old Jun 17th, 2005, 10:50 AM

Have taken 12 cruises in the last 4 years... Been inside, outside, balcony, top - bottom, forward - aft.. While I prefer other than inside, I have not been uncomfortable at any of the locations.. What is guaranteed to happen is when you are going from one place to another on the ship - you will be at the OTHER end... I have always been on the wrong end of the ship... HAVE FUN--IT'S EASY
Old Jun 17th, 2005, 02:34 PM

"Better" is a relative term. Do you want to be close to everything, close to elevators, or away from any traffic patterns?

Unless you have bad weather, stability should not be an issue; if the weather is bad, you will feel it anywhere.

I am just off my 103rd cruise. There is no way I would take a cabin on a lower deck just to be midship. I personally think there is no benefit to this. These new ships are large and well stabilized. That advice has been around for years and, IMHO, is way outdated.

If you can afford it and the itinerary warrants it, splurge and get a balcony. If not, I would opt for a higher deck if you can get one for the same price.

Old Jun 17th, 2005, 07:21 PM

If you get motion sick easily, as my husband does, there is a definite and significant difference between midships and the ends of the ship, between lower and higher.

For example, there are times that he has felt the motion (and not in a good way) in the theater, but been OK in our cabin.
Old Jun 18th, 2005, 10:59 AM

I've been in the forward most cabin as well as an aft cabin. I've been on upper decks and lower decks and IMO assuming the cabin size is equal I'd always opt for lower and midship and I always get a balcony. To me it is money well spent even in cooler climates. I recently completed a 4 month around the world cruise and on a couple occassions (luckily not many) we hit some "angry" seas where there was rocking and rolling. The passengers who felt it the most and had the most breakage in their cabins were all on the upper decks. I turn down "upgrades" to higher cabins and especially those in the front or aft. Besides the front and aft cabins feeling much more motion, if you're a light sleeper you may also be waken up in the pre-dawn hours when the anchor drops if you're way up front. Different strokes for different folks.