Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Anyone lie about their job while on a cruise?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2005, 04:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know of a frequent cruiser who tells his dining companions (and anyone else who asks) that he is a “diamond cutter.” In reality this person mows the grass on a baseball field.

Does anyone else fib/misstate their occupation while on a cruise?
Old May 17th, 2005, 05:47 AM

I was on a cruise last year.At our table was a "retired" couple , in their words.There were two girls mid-twenties who gushed all week about how their lives as Travel Agents were "simply divine".At breakfast the last morning, the two were absent.The retired couple laughed as they mused that perhaps the next cruise the 2 would "invent" some other carreer so it wouldn't make the rest of the table feel bad about the $3K they shelled out for the cruise and the TA's got it for a song.Good suggestion!!
Old May 17th, 2005, 08:07 AM

I am thirty and retired and tired of explaining. So I told the few people that I hung out with that I was a student. I like hearing about everyone's careers and couldn't care less if they are fibbing as long as it is an interesting/entertainng lie. The diamond cutter thing is too funny.
Old May 17th, 2005, 10:10 AM

Hi, Lorrieihere, care to share. I would love to be 41 and retired. Anyway, hubby and I are both MD's and we do not tell the truth as we then get regaled with everyones medical problems and have to spot diagnose and treat. Last 2 cruises we opted for table for 4 , just for us. People seem to forget that we take holidays to take a break from our work.
Old May 17th, 2005, 11:50 AM

I have been known to make up interesting careers but that was when I was quite a bit younger.
Old May 17th, 2005, 12:59 PM

Just out of curiosity Dock, why do you think others take vacations, if not to get away from their work? MD's are not the only ones who are asked questions about their professions. Sometimes people are trying to be polite by asking what other people do. Some just want free advice, whatever the profession their table mates enjoy.
Old May 17th, 2005, 04:19 PM

I understand completely Dock
Old May 17th, 2005, 04:44 PM

I think the diamond cutter should fess uo.

First of all - he's perfectly correct- that's what he does.

Second - I bet he has much more interesting stories concerning baseball players than someone who sits around playing with peices of carbon all day.
Old May 17th, 2005, 04:44 PM

Its hard to imagine so many people being enthralled with an MD(s) at their table.
Old May 18th, 2005, 04:58 AM
Original Poster

I suppose it may be difficult to understand unless you are in that situation, but two cruises ago, we had an M.D. at our table and others at the table asked her questions seeking free diagnosis.

Also, as a lawyer, I am always hesitant to disclose my profession - not out of shame, but because I too am often required to spend a lot of time giving legal advice. Of course, it is all free, which does not affect the malpractice requirements.

Regardless of profession, I understand that some people do not want to let everyone at their tabel know what they do - for whatever reason.

I am enjoying hearing the above stories and I welcome more experiences.
Old May 18th, 2005, 05:03 AM

I always tell people at my table that I'm a gynecologist. Of course, I get a kick from underneath the table right into my shins.
Old May 18th, 2005, 06:48 AM

Actually we twice have had MD's at our table. No such experience. Were there a few ?'s asked or was it a constant torrent? If its a few then it could be just an attempt at polite conversation. If alot and dominates the conversation then thats another matter.
Old May 18th, 2005, 10:08 AM
P_M

Years ago I worked at a bank. We had a machine that put loose coins into rolls, then someone had to manually put those rolls of coins into boxes. We called this activity "boxing coins." They guy who did this job used to tell people outside the bank that he was a professional boxer.
Old May 18th, 2005, 01:58 PM

My husband and I absolutely love an episode of Mad About You, where Helen Hunt and her husband took a trip to a resort in the Caribbean. They made up incredible stories, something different to each of the other guests they met: they were circus performers; they were CIA agents, etc. It all finally came unglued and they were caught in their lies. Very funny in the process, however.

We got such a kick out of it, we decided we would try that on one of our trips, but so far we haven't carried out the big bamboozle. Maybe someday.
Old May 18th, 2005, 04:30 PM

HA, this is too funny. I recently just had this discussion. It's funny everyone I've ever met on a cruise has had elaborate professions. I have never met a plumber, janitor, secretary or waitress. I am in medical insurance, but due to some people's feelings on this, I just say I work in the Insurance field. My husband is a computer analyst and after being hounded by computer questions, he no longer elaborates on that either. Next cruise our table will be delighted with our newly made up professions... Wouldn't you love to see the look on these snooty people's faces when I tell them I'm a hooker...!!!
Old May 19th, 2005, 03:59 AM

I've learned not to lie but to use
another descriptive but more generic term as people don't ususally
"get it".

Budman, assume you're closed this
Saturday?

Old May 19th, 2005, 05:38 AM
katybird

Deny - Well, I AM a hooker and proud of it! I can't believe it took me so long to discover hooking. My life is now complete.My aunt is 82 and has been hooking for 60 years. She taught me everything I know. In fact, my grandmother taught her so I guess you could say it runs in the family.

I must sadly confess.. it is not my job...just a hobby. Once I started I was easily hooked on rug hooking!

Sorry, I could not resist!

Old May 19th, 2005, 06:24 AM

It is so funny to read this, just the other day I was telling DH during a shopping trip "you know, when you think about it, no one knows you on these trips. If you're forced to share a table and socialize with people you don't even know, what's to say you can't have fun and just make up a completely different life...My name is Tansy, I was born in Calcutta, but grew up in Dallas (to explain the accent)and I am a Sex Therapist to the Stars"

But DH said, "No way. You know with our luck, two weeks later I'd see one of our tablemates again when I was suddeny introduced to 'our new Vice President'"

And he is so right about that one...

And Thx about the heads up re: Computer professionals being asked computer questions. And I thought extended family members only did that ;-)
Old May 19th, 2005, 12:47 PM

This is hysterical!!! I often lie about my profession while out at a bar. I'm recently engaged, getting married next year so things have changed.

I have lied in one of two ways:

1) I would find on a few occasions if a man hits on me and Im not interested. Sometimes when you kindly tell them so, they are more pushy. My tactic to make them run was to mention that I'm not employed. They'd ask what do you do? I'd reply "Shop a lot, relax, get my hair done. My dad lets me use his card all the time, its great", then I follow with "what do you do, we should get together?"

They run! Most of the time =)

2) I get men who walk up to me saying that they live in this big apartment in Manhattan WHICH they just purchased last month. They go on about money and success trying to impress me. Then I will tell them what i do for a living and talk about some of my past/present/future ventures.

Then they run.... haha
Natalie
Old May 20th, 2005, 02:34 PM

Hey katybird,,,good one!! You had me going! Brany, the matre d' actually asked my husband to come to his cabin to see what was wrong with his laptop.. Maybe we could have gotten some free wine!! But that lesson was learned. We really try to discourage work talk and will try to change the subject of careers. Because really, who gives a rats behind what these people do. We are all there just to have FUN!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -