Pros/cons of forward cabin?

Old Feb 1st, 2014, 04:28 PM
Original Poster

Pros/cons of forward cabin?

Considering June voyage in Alaska on Coral Princess. Few suites remaining with balconies. Except one on Level 11 (high) but at extreme forward of ship. Any major downside to location? Other experiences on Coral Princess? I'm a first time cruiser. Thanks.
Old Feb 1st, 2014, 04:46 PM

DH has a tendency towards motion sickness, so we try to select cabins as low and midships as possible. We've had to leave a theater because he wasn't feeling well, so we could never book a cabin on deck 11 forward. But that may not be an issue for you.
Old Feb 1st, 2014, 09:31 PM

If it is an inside passage Alaskan cruise, you are probably okay. If it is a trans-Atlantic, I would say ouch.

On an Alaskan cruise, there are some "open water" where if the weather is bad, you will feel the pitch of the ship. The front usually fare a lot worst than the rest of the ship.

The Coral princess is a panamax size ship so it is a bit smaller than the Princess Grand class Mega ship.

If you are a first time cruiser, search the forum here for old posts about first time cruisers or trip reports about Alaska.

Have fun, you will enjoy the experience.
Old Feb 2nd, 2014, 03:18 AM

I agree with Eschew that for many first time cruisers the forward cabins with their added pitch might be a little too much, but I sure like it up there. I enjoy feeling the motion of the ship. It lets me know I am really on an ocean adventure.

The other reason I like forward cabins is just for my own convenience. I enjoy going to the most forward observation decks to watch the ocean during the day. It really gives you a respect for the incredible size of the ocean and the power of the ship when you watch it cutting through the water.

If this is your first trip, try to stay a little farther back until you get your sea legs. We stayed in middle of the cruise ships for our first couple of cruises and since then have tried different areas, but I prefer a little further forward.

Make sure you spend some time in each area of the ship on this cruise so you know the difference in feel and can make a more informed decision for your next cruise. It is really a matter of taste, and motion tolerance.
Old Feb 2nd, 2014, 06:57 AM

I think this cabin is available for a reason and that is as the folks here have stated, that you feel the motion of the ocean more so if you are prine to motion sickness then avoid it. We once booked a f/w facing cabin on the very small (32k ton) Tahitiona Princess and it was a disaster as the motion was too much for my wife. what saved us was beaing able to relocate to an amidships cabib otherwise we may have had to cut it short.

Your ship is much bigger but if the seas get rough the front is the worst palce to be.
Old Feb 2nd, 2014, 07:31 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for sharing the advice. Helps greatly. I think we will be OK. We own a small boat so we are comfortable on the water.