Holland america oosterdam

Nov 21st, 2015, 12:56 PM
Original Poster

Holland america oosterdam

I think I've finally decided on a trip for our 25th wedding anniversary. 10 day southern Caribbean cruise. The line that offers most of the ports I am interested in seeing is Holland America on the Oosterdam.
Rivieras on cruise critic or trip advisor are not great. Any advice? I have cruised norwegian epic and it was great. I want this one to be special for our 25th
Nov 21st, 2015, 01:58 PM

We cruised on the Oosterdam earlier this year and really enjoyed it. It's not a party ship but if you are celebrating your 25th, then you probably don't want a party ship. The cabin (balcony cabin) was good, good service throughout the ship, swimming pool with removable roof, good entertainment plus a range of teaching sessions on cameras, computers etc.
On sea days, we spent a lot of time in the Crows Nest which includes the library, computers, coffee shop, bar and lots of comfortable seating areas.
Nov 22nd, 2015, 06:06 PM
ira

Hi Hoo,

We took the Oosterdaam from Vancouver to Seward this past August.

Excellent all the way, except that we thought the food was sort of bland.

Have a great trip.

Nov 23rd, 2015, 09:47 AM

If you viewed N Epic as great. You may need to define great for us in order to a better response. You do recognize that you comparing two very different ships. The Epic has 4100 passengers is consider a mega ship. The Oosterdam with 1900 is a different experience. Big difference in size of ship, activities, etc. You may have different expectations that the Oosterdam cannot match. You are not doing a true apple to apple comparison.
Nov 23rd, 2015, 10:09 AM

....Rivieras on cruise critic or trip advisor are not great....

Not great ??? I just read the cruise critic staff's review. Four out of five is not bad and the majority of the 600+ reviews from passengers give high marks, 4/5. What are you looking for? If looking for a perfect 5 out of 5, you probably are not going to get 5/5 for any ship.

The Epic also received a 4 out of five from the cruise critic but only 3/5 from 1700+ passengers. The cruise critic call it, " Norwegian Epic is big, brassy, bold and ballsy."

If that is why you thought it was great, you will be disappointed in the Oosterdam. It is a much calmer ship.

As I posted earlier, you are compare to really different ships.
Nov 23rd, 2015, 08:26 PM
Original Poster

Let me clarify I'm not looking for a 5 out of 5 and I am very aware of the differences between the epic and oosterdam. All of the reviews for 2015 were 2.5 to 3 and not 4.5. Maybe we are not looking at the same reviews. The things I liked about the epic were good food, entertainment in the duelling piano bar, great balcony cabin. For my first cruise experience, we had a great time with friend so n the epic. I just want this trip to be special.