How bad is the "aft?"

Jul 27th, 2004, 08:29 AM
tjp
Original Poster

How bad is the "aft?"

Just received my cruise documents and we are in the middle ofthe ship but at the "aft"- If I remember correctly, that is the back end. How bumpy will this be? Should I be worried?
Jul 27th, 2004, 08:43 AM

We've never had a problem being at the back. We've been on large and smaller ships and have never been sea-sick or bothered by the movement. I guess it depends on the individual.
Jul 27th, 2004, 10:09 AM

Hi tjp:

If your cruise documents say something like "midship-aft" that does not tell you much. Look at the cabin number and then go to:

http://ibelieveheis.com/Stateroom/ships.htm

This site will show you the exact location in the ship and even let you look at pictures of the inside of a similar cabin.

To understand what they mean by "aft" (it doesnt always mean at the back of the ship) imagine a dividing line placed exactly half way between the front and the back of the ship. Every cabin behind that line is "aft" every cabin in front of the line is "for".
Anyway, by using the cabin number and the site above you can find the exact location of your room.
Hope this helps.
Jul 27th, 2004, 10:40 AM

Very good advice Hold.

I had a bad experience on my 2nd cruise when I was in the second cabin forward.:-&

When we booked the one were leaving on in a week I made sure it was mid-ship. When I got the cabin # "fwd", I looked at my brochure deck plan and it's indeed slightly forward from the middle. No problem.

Just check the site or your brochure and I'm sure you're fine.

Have a great trip!
Jul 28th, 2004, 07:12 AM

I just got back from a cruise. I don't know what "aft" means. I can tell you though that I was approx 6 cabins from the front of the ship and I did feel more motion than when I was in the middle. We wanted a balcony, so we took it. Though we didn't get sick.(thankfully we don't get seasick)-when we got home we had a bad case of sea legs for a few days. I think its pretty funny-its like getting drunk without the alcohol. I seriously prefer the middle as well.

Enjoy your trip
Jul 28th, 2004, 08:05 AM

Hi Traveling Sue,

That's an actual condition, I believe it's called Mal Debarqument (sp). I experience it everytime I cruise. It seems to affect women mostly and they say sinus meds help a little. (Though I didn't know that when I was experiencing it).

It's really bad when you're in the shower!
Jul 28th, 2004, 10:07 AM

All depends - I would have thought the Class two/three aft cabins on the Clipper Line ships undesireable, but those are really great (CC vets say they are not noisy) and the first to go given the many discounts.
M