Where to stay in Barbados?

Sep 13th, 2007, 12:41 PM
Original Poster

Where to stay in Barbados?

Thanks to everyone who helped us decide between TCI and Barabados! We decided to go to Barbados and want to stay near St Lawrence Gap. As two late 20s single guys, where's a great place to stay to be social and meet single girls?
Sep 13th, 2007, 12:43 PM
Original Poster

P.S. We were thinking about the Accra? Who is a good all-inclusive?
Sep 13th, 2007, 03:00 PM

Accra would be a great place for you to stay as it is so close to everything and on one of the island's best beaches, but it's not all inclusive. Turtle Beach, at one end of St Lawrence Gap, is all inclusive. Sandy Bay Beach Club is AI and also on a great beach and close to everything,
http://www.sandybaybeachclub.com/
When are you planning to visit?
Sep 14th, 2007, 03:40 AM

Check out Southern Palms. You can walk to the gap in 5 min. It is right in the heart of everything and has an awesome beach (Dover).

Peace, Greenie
Sep 14th, 2007, 09:55 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your suggestions!!!! We've narrowed it down to Accra vs. Turtle Beach - both of which offer an all-inclusive package (I asked Accra and they are offering in addition to the nightly rate, a meal/alcohol plan at $89/nt/pp).

How much is a cab between Accra and the Gap and can we catch one after the bars close?
Sep 14th, 2007, 10:13 AM

I agree with others that Accra is a good location in terms of beach and restaurants and relative proximity to the Gap (I don't think it is walking distance though). I stayed near the Accra when I went to Barbados, and I took the local bus/minibus to go to the Gap and to Oistins fish fry. The bus is very cheap ($1 or so). I would suspect that you could get a taxi or bus back as late as the bars are open but am not sure about that or the price.

You may want to think about whether AI is worth it for you. There are lots of reasonably priced restaurants in that area, and it sounds like you are going to be spending evenings at bars in the Gap at night. I went to the bar at the Accra one night, and there was hardly anyone there and definitely no 20/30-something singles.

Sep 14th, 2007, 10:49 AM
Original Poster

When were you there? We are going November 27-December 4.
Sep 14th, 2007, 11:25 AM

Sorry I should have provided the caveat in my response that I was there a few years ago, so things could have changed since then.
Sep 17th, 2007, 01:52 PM

There is a minimum charge of US$10 for a taxi ride in Barbados. Accra is very close to St Lawrence Gap but not really walking distance. Public transport easy, frequent and cheap. Would be easy to get a taxi from The Gap to Accra after partying. Don't miss the Oistins Fish Fry (all the fish is not fried). Friday is the big party night there. If you stay at Accra, check out Just Grillin across the road for a great meal at a great price. If you want a "nicer" restaurant for lunch or dinner, try Champers at the other end of the beach. You can walk to lots of restaurants of varying levels from Accra.
November is a good time to visit Barbados as it's a little cooler (it's very hot right now), and quieter and generally cheaper. FYI 30 November is a national holiday so lots of places will be shut - shops, banks and some restaurants. There will be lots of activity in The Gap on the night of the 29th.
Enjoy!