Punta Cana vs Barbados

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 05:10 AM
Lois

Punta Cana vs Barbados

I love Barbados, but hear the beaches are beautiful in Punta Cana. Do the 2 areas compare at all?

In Punta Cana, what would be a good place to stay for a couple in their 50s. Is all inclusive the best way to go there? We like gourmet quality food.

I've heard it's not too safe wandering away from where you are staying in Punta Cana -- is that true?

What would you recommend for a first-time trip there - sights, accommodations, restaurants.

Also, what months are best for travel there -- not much rain & no problems with hurricanes?

Any good booking sources?

Thanks for all your help.

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 09:30 AM
another

Hi Lois,
I answered you on your other post, but as far as the questions you are asking here, here goes.

Try the Barcelo Bavaro Palace or Riu Palace. Both are part of "complexes" (Bavaro and Riu) and both are the top of the line for each one. Both Palaces give you privileges at every other hotel within their complexes. The only way to do P.C. is all inclusive. There really isn't any town to speak of so all the resort areas are completely self contained.

I went in May, and it was extremely hot even then. As with any Caribbean destination, avoid late summer and fall due to Hurricane season.

As far as not being safe in P.C., I think any area has a potential for problems. I am one that likes to stay at an all-inlcusive that offers everything I want to do, and offers things outside the resort, being arranged thru the hotels. You can do snorkeling trips, fishing and there are some land tours as well.

As I said in the other thread, I have not done Barbados, so I can only TRY and describe the beaches in PC. Like the Florida Panhandle, very soft, powdery white sand with a bazillion palm trees. They are everywhere! The language may be a problem that are not used to trying to adjust, as most speak ONLY Spanish. That is changing since many more English speaking tourists are traveling there. Until a few years ago, most tourists were European.

As far as booking, I would love to help you, if you would like, or find someone in your area that knows the best tour operators. Get referrals from people, there are good agents and bad. I am not slamming the web, because for some it works. I am just saying, that if you can find someone that you are comfortable working with, the prices really are comparable. I know that I can match or beat these packages much more often than not.

Please no negative comments from anyone reading this response. I only trying to help. Good luck with your decision.