Reload this Page >

Is Punta Cana, DR really that great?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2nd, 2002, 01:01 PM
joanie

Several travel agents I have talked to recently have been strongly suggesting Punta Cana as a vacation destination. I am looking for a great beach with safety, good food, and good drinking water. Anyone been there lately? I would appreciate any input before I sign up.

Old Jun 2nd, 2002, 01:18 PM
Parrot Mom

Doilar for $ I would take the D.R. anytime over the Mayan Riviera...Punta Cana is one of the fastest growing areas for resorts and resorts. We were in the Yucatan last October and I heard other people as well as myself talking outloud about the experience. I find that it is very overpriced, had rotten food and a bad experience at the well known hotel. We have been to the D.R. seven times. We spent a week at the Catalonia Bavaro over a year ago... for more info please go to the most definitive site for resorts or info on the D.R. www.debbiesdominicantravel.com.

Old Jun 2nd, 2002, 04:47 PM
ML

I think travel agents push DR especially Punta Cana, be careful!!<BR>DR is OK .<BR>

Old Jun 3rd, 2002, 04:21 AM
John

Just back from the Iberostar Punta Cana. What a great trip. Perfect weather, service, room and beach. I look forward to going back.

Old Jun 3rd, 2002, 04:47 AM
Melissa

I tell my clients basically you get what you pay for. DR is great for the price people are paying, but don't expect to find the Ritz, not going to happen. If you are looking for a great beach and nice hotels, all inclusive type dining (repetitive) and not to spend a lot of money, than fine go to DR.

Old Jun 3rd, 2002, 05:04 AM
tivertonhouse

Punta Cana is a mass/package tourist destination;went there when there was only one Bavarro property -- and that was bad enough. It's cheap -- and that's about all you can say for it.

Old Jun 3rd, 2002, 05:12 AM
Gail

Tivertonhouse...how can you say Punta Cana is nothing but cheap and yet push Jamaica where they have even cheaper deals and due to safety you have to remain in a walled in compound? Not everyone can afford to go for big $'s and Punta Cana offers magnificent beaches, friendly people and an opportunity for vacation at very reasonable prices.

Old Jun 3rd, 2002, 05:22 AM
wayne

dear joanie, we loved the beaches at punta cana. most of the places are all-inclusive-If you do not eat at your resort, there is no "town" to go to outside of the resorts. so...it can get a little repetitious. also, there is no night life to speak of other than the shows that are put on by the resorts. one word of caution-when we went last year, a lot of the americans that were there at the same time as us, came down with various stomach-related disorders. (the Europeans did not seem affected) Pack the emodium! Nevertheless, we are going back-for us it's a quick vacation, not too much flying, and very inexpensive! WJP

Old Jun 3rd, 2002, 07:03 AM
tivertonhouse

For all criteria, including safety, would recommend JA over DR with no hesitation. We traveled extensively in DR before settling in JA;outside of the SAMANA peninsula (undiscovered and superb), we found the DR including Punta Cana,Puerto Plata/Sosua and Casa de Campo creepy,grubby and unpleasant tourist mills. Inexpensive,yes. You get what you pay for.

Old Jun 3rd, 2002, 07:33 AM
nina

My sister has traveled extensively as well, including tropical beaches such as Hawaii, Bali, Tahiti, Phuket, Cabo, Mayan Riviera, Bermuda and of course most caribbean islands. She went to Punta Cana in March and thought for the money it was fantastic. She found the beaches on par with any she had been to, and the resort very nice.<BR><BR>In fact, we are going in 2 weeks with her, my mom and our kids because we found another great deal there. She thinks you can't go wrong and if you're looking to really relax and lie on a beautiful beach and entertain kids then it's a great spot. She didn't even leave the resort and neither will we, as that's not the type of trip we are doing this time. It's not a place to go for sightseeing, but is a perfect spot for a beach vaca.<BR><BR>I'm very well traveled myself and will report back on our return in 3 weeks.

Old Jun 3rd, 2002, 07:39 AM
benjamin

I am considering Punta Cana for my honeymoon....looking at the royal resort...anyone have any inside info about this resort. we are going in July.

Old Jun 3rd, 2002, 08:05 AM
Tracey

We went to Punta Cana last year & had a nice time. The beaches are very pretty, the food was pretty good (we stayed at the Riu Palace Macao), but the drinking water is not safe. Be prepared to drink only bottled water, avoid ice & use sparkling water to brush your teeth! I have a sensitive stomach & was super-careful so I had no problems. My husband was a bit braver & paid the price, as did a fellow American that we hung out with. Punta Cana is inexpensive, but it's not terribly Americanized. This is neither a good thing nor a bad thing, but if it's what you're looking for, look again. We did not speak Spanish & struggled to find staff who knew English. We knew this going in, & tried to learn some phrases, but it made the vacation a little less enjoyable for us.<BR><BR>We went to Jamaica this year & it was a better fit for us. We'd heard horror stories about safety in Jamaica & felt just as safe there as we do in the US. We stayed in Negril & we live in DC, if that helps. <BR><BR>For us, we'd prefer to go to Jamaica if we're looking for a cheaper, closer Caribbean island.