Thinking of going to Punta Cana..

Sep 25th, 2003, 02:13 PM
Original Poster

Thinking of going to Punta Cana..

Hello everyone...

I have been to St. Lucia, Aruba, St. Thomas, St. Johns and Antigua and have never had a problem with getting sick from eating the food and drinking the water. The only place I've had a problem was in Cancun. I want to try something different so I was thinking of going to Punta Cana, but I am a little hesitant about going because I have read many posts on other websites from people that have gotten ill from either eating the food or something else, and they have even stayed away from drinking the water. When I go on vacation one of the many things I enjoy is eating the fresh fruit and eating good food without having to worry if it is going to make me sick. Or I don't want to have to worry if the drink I am drinking could make me sick from the ice that's in it. There's nothing worse then going on vacation and getting sick and having to spend a couple of days in your room. I have also read that mosquitoes are really bad at night. Is it really that bad? Would it be best to stay away from Punta Cana and go back to one of the other islands? Or would I be missing out on a really great island?
Also what is the weather and average temperature the end of January, early February?

Thanks for your replies!
Sep 26th, 2003, 05:30 AM

We went to Punta Cana about 5 years ago and stayed at Paradisus. Didn't have any problem with the food, water or mosquitoes. The beach is very nice. Most of the resorts are AI's. The best site for Dominican Republic info is www.debbiesdominican travel.com. Suggest you go there and click on Punya cana for all kinds of resort info, trip reports etc.
Sep 26th, 2003, 07:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply but that's where I went to and read the information about people getting ill. I was hoping to hear of some other people's experiences that have gone there.
Sep 26th, 2003, 10:29 AM

We were in Punta Cana last year - we had absolutely no problem with the food or water.
Sep 26th, 2003, 01:20 PM

I have also been to the same islands as you and have not had much trouble (I have had good luck). I have known people who have, but some of them tend to have problems everywhere. I think some people are just more sensitive systems than others. I consider myself pretty immune, but after 10 days in Mexico City, I was feeling it. The worst thing I can recall about Puna Cana was the humidity. But the huge, wide beaches with those amazing tall trees, local art, and friendly people made up for it. Have fun !
Sep 28th, 2003, 06:50 AM

Visited Punta Cana July of '02. Beautiful beach ,lots of humidity( it is the tropics afer all) stayed at the Iberostar Dominicana resort. It had all the makings of a great trip. Did not drink the water, whole family got sick. One of my daughters spent a day on an IV in her room, due to dehydration from vomiting and diareah. Illness not due to overindulgence of alcohol, we were too sick to drink much of anything. The resort has an excellent medical staff that is very familiar with this type of illness, if there is anything good to say about being sick for seven days. Whatever the malady we did not fully recover until we were back home for two to three weeks. If you go, I hope you have good luck with the food. I have an iron stomach and have never before been sick on vacation.

Search this Thread