where in the dominican republic??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17th, 2004, 09:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A friend and I were interested in having a detox week away.
One of the first few weeks in April and the cheapest place to AI seems to be in the Dominican Republic. I cant seem to get a read on what the different areas are like. I love the laid back atmophere of Negril and the small(er) town feel of Playa del Carmen.
Can someone point me in the direction of a town/area in DR that might be similar??
I normally dont AI it but it seems that will be the route we are going.
We are planning to bike, swim, snorkle and use the gym there (kind of making our own spa week of it).
I would like to feel safe off the property and have a place to stroll/explore. (For reference: I feel very safe in Negril and away from town in PLaya del Carmen)

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks in advance!!!!!!!
Old Mar 17th, 2004, 12:13 PM

IMO, Punta Cana....beautiful beaches, resorts with the amenities you are looking for such as the Barcelo Bavaro Palace complex, Melia caribe Tropical, and Paradisus are very good.
Old Mar 18th, 2004, 05:47 PM

The DR(punta cana) is Fab. and your correct you do get a lot for your money. Unfortunately, leaving the property is not something I suggest unless on a guided excursion. I have stayed at The Secrects Excellance and you'll be quite impressed with this all-inclusive.
Old Mar 19th, 2004, 07:16 AM

My only advice is to stay away from Boca Chica and Santo Domingo. Punta Cana sounds pretty good. Try: www.debbiesdominican.com
Old Mar 19th, 2004, 07:18 AM

Sorry, should be: www.debbiesdominicantravel.com
Old Mar 19th, 2004, 07:51 AM

Hi there: We stayed in Cabarete about 2 years ago and had a great time. We explored all over the area and felt very safe. Although, from what I have heard, the beaches and water are not as nice as Punta Cana, I have also heard that Punta Cana is an AI haven where you basically do nothing but lounge at the resort where you stay. This does not appeal to me. The town of Cabarete is a nice little town with shops and restaurants. If you don't care about white sand and turquoise water (we spent our water time at the pool), you should enjoy Cabarete. I don't know about biking as you definitely would need to avoid the highways; I never saw such crazy drivers anywhere else in the world. We went horseback riding, on a snorkeling cruise, golfing, etc. There is a golf course not too far named Playa Grande which is fabulous; right by the ocean. There are also other towns nearby to explore such as Sosua. If you go, don't miss dinner at the Blue Moon. It is at the top of a gorgeous mountain. Dinner is served on a banana leaf and you eat with your fingers. A very interesting experience.
Old Mar 25th, 2004, 09:28 AM

I just got back from Punta Cana and can tell you to avoid Melia Caribe Tropical. It is supposed to be 5 star and it is no where close. The food is mediocre at best. The grounds are very pretty though. If you are one who likes to leave a resort to see the area then I would avoid Punta Cana completely. There are too many beautiflu islands to visit to choose the DR.
Old Mar 30th, 2004, 05:47 PM

I just returned from a week in Punta Cana at Breezes. The area is beautiful and the beaches are gorgeous. We left the hotel twice and felt comforatble. Once was to a restaurant(Captain Cook), which was not a great meal despite great reviews. We also took an outback safarai trip that was great and really gave us a chance to see the people and how they live. There is not a lot to do so most people stay at their all inclusive. We were at Breezes, which had a beautiful location with a great beach and pool. We had numerous problems with the room(broken bed, shower handle came off three times, battery needing to be replaced in smoke detector). VERY DIFFICULT and trying to get anything fixed.I would return to this beautful area but look at other hotels.
Old Mar 30th, 2004, 05:57 PM

I have been to many different islands including Maui,Kauai,Bahamas, Puerto Rico,Cancun and the island of Hispaniola where DR is located and I can tell you is a beautiful place. Most importantly, hospitality, delicious food beautiful beaches etc.
If you like playa del Carmen (i have also been there on our way to Cozumel)
you will love dominican republic. Stay
in Punta Cana, visit Santo Domingo though (guided tour if possible) and visit the beautiful Colonial City and
the night clubs at some of the most
popular hotels.