Reload this Page >

Restaurant recommendations in Anguilla?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 06:41 PM
Kerry

Going in mid August - anyone suggest some great spots? - NOT tourist traps, looking for good food, ambience, some fun local spots, etc. Also, a couple of more expensive ones are okay as long as they are worth it... What are your favorites?<BR>ANY OTHER general suggestions for Anguilla or things to do? first time going there. Thanks!

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 10:50 PM
O.T.

Anguilla has lots of restaurants in all categories, so you will be spoilt for choice - here are some of my favourites<BR><BR>Expensive:<BR><BR>Hibernia, (definately our no. 1)<BR>Oliver's<BR>Pimm's<BR>Altamar<BR><BR>Mid-range:<BR>Cocoplum<BR>Roy's, (great sauteed snapper, fish and ships, also steaks)<BR>Ferryboat Inn (best burgers on Anguilla, great steaks)<BR>Overlook<BR>E's Oven <BR>Tasty<BR>Ripples<BR>Palm Grove at Junk's Hole, great lunch spot.<BR><BR>Inexpensive:<BR><BR>Repperpot<BR>Roti Hut<BR>Corner Bar and Pizza<BR>Johnno's<BR><BR>The Pumphouse in Sandy Ground is a fun late night spot, good music until late, also serve burgers, ribs etc<BR><BR>Shoal Bay East has many beachbars, my favourites are Elodias and Maderimans. <BR><BR>Lots of people rave about Scilly Cay, it is fun, famous for their lethal rum punches, expensive and is probably the only tourist trap on Anguilla.<BR><BR>If you like to snorkel, suggest Little Bay, if you go to Crocus Bay, you will find Calvin and for $10 he will take you out in his boat. No facilities there, so don't forget to bring water.<BR><BR>Have you checked out the Anguilla Forum on Caribbean-On-Line.com? A very active forum, worth having a look at.<BR><BR>Have fun.<BR><BR>

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 03:02 AM
Mary

Tasty's & E's Oven are both owned by Anguillians who are classically trained chefs -- Fabulous food at great prices!!! (tarragon snapper at E's to die for -- ditto Tasty's seafood salad)

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 04:41 AM
Nancy

Kerry,<BR>O.T. gave you some great info.<BR>Keep in mind that you are going in low season, and the island will be pretty quiet. <BR>We were there in October 2 summers ago, and almost all of the restaurants I really wanted to go to were closed <BR>I would add The Verandah and The Old House to the list.

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 04:56 AM
Nancy

Any restaurant at Cap Juluca.<BR>E's Oven and Tasty's - excellent food and reasonable prices.<BR>Altamer - Very romantic, expensive, but definitely worth it.<BR>Olivers<BR>Uncle Ernies<BR><BR>Hibernia was closing July 13th and I think Straw Hat was closing August 1.<BR><BR>Check out the forum at Caribbean-on-line. Very active and you will get good info!<BR><BR>Enjoy your trip....you will love it!<BR>

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 05:10 AM
Howard

One other good restaurant that has been omitted from other posts is Trattoria Tratmonto. Dining right on the beach at Shoal Bay West. Really great lobster ravioli.

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 05:24 AM
Howard

If you are ther 1-10 Aug you will get to see Carnival. Lots of fun with boat races, parades, jump ups etc. Have a great trip.

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 05:40 AM
islands1

Straw Hat should not be missed. George's lunch on the beach at Cap

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 06:15 AM
Susan

Hi Kerry!<BR><BR>Altamer for a romantic (albeit expensive) evening out. Right on the beach and the food is delicious. Reservations are a must.<BR><BR>Another place the locals go is just up the road from the Carimar Beach Club, on Meads Bay. It is open only Thursday, Friday and Saturday evenings. The name is escaping me, but it is across from a small grocery store just up the road from the Carimar and Mallihouna resorts. It's in front of a private residence, and it can't be missed for wonderful BBQ ribs and chicken. A lot of locals eat there and you will see a lot of cars around the house and music blaring. Very, very informal. In fact, you pull your own drink out from an iced cooler.<BR><BR>I would also go along with the recommendations for Ripples. Yummy! I had a pasta dish that was out of this world.<BR><BR>Have a wonderful trip!!!

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 06:29 AM
Shari

Straw Hat!!!

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 06:44 AM
O.T.

Nancy - you need to go back to Anguilla!<BR><BR>Le Veranda closed last summer.<BR><BR>And how could I forget Trattoria Tramonto! pls add to list.<BR><BR>www.news.ai has a list of restaurants closed during the summer.

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 06:50 AM
penny

O.T. hit them all! Trattoria is wonderful, love the setting and love Alan's choice of CDs! Very relaxing and low key!

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 06:57 AM
beach lover

what about blanchard's? i've never been to anguillla but everyone i know who's been there raves about it. the owner wrote a book about it, which is a great read - "a trip to the beach" by melinda blanchard. i highly recommend it!

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 07:12 AM
penny

Yes, Blanchards and Mangos!

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 07:39 AM
Sandy Feet

Cheap eats....<BR><BR>For a take away lunch on Saturday's, a lady sells the best corn soup, like a chowder near the high school in The Valley is. Costs about $3US and is soo good. <BR><BR>Believe it or not the restaurant at the airport is popular for lunch, their chicken salad is great. Kind of noisy, but again you can get take away. (Lunch on the beach?)<BR><BR>August 5 to 9 is boat race week. The biggest races are on the Monday at Sandy Ground and Thursday at Mead's Bay. Lots of fun to wander up and down the beach through the crowds listening to music (loud!) eating bbq chicken or ribs, etc. A big "fete"!<BR><BR><BR>

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 10:27 AM
kerry

THANKS ALL for all the great info!!

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 08:13 AM
julie

Just returned from glorious week in Anguilla where dining was a pleasure. We thoroughly enjoyed E's Oven & Tasty's - both reasonably priced. Ran into the chef of Tasty's at the local fishmarket one evenening. Need I say more? Smitty's was an experience in itself...like something out of a Jimmy Buffet song...good food but pricey.

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 10:04 AM
O.T.

Julie,<BR>how much was the meal at Smithy's? Interested to know in comparison to Scilly Cay.