negril hotels

Jan 19th, 2005, 07:57 PM
Original Poster

negril hotels

i am looking at staying either at Seasplash, Rondel, Cocolapalm, Beachcomber, Footeprints, or Merril's II. Does anyone have any advice as to which one is better? Has there been any damage after the hurricane? Seasplash looks nice but the beach looks very very small. Coco also looks nice but I heard that the standard rooms are not nice. Is the beach at the Beachcomber eroded? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Jan 19th, 2005, 08:12 PM

We are annual visitors to Negril and I'll rank in order (my opinion of course) based on what I know and have seen of each property.
1. CocoLaPalm
2. Rondel Village
3. Beachcomber (not sure about repairs being completed or not)
4. SeaSplash
5. Merril's I, II or III
6. Footeprints (I'll bite my tongue here out of respect)
All properties are very different from one another. CCLP is on the best stretch of beach of any place on Negril beach. Rondel has spacious "villa" type accomodations for those traveling with older children and/or other couples. Nice stretch of beach, as well. SeaSplash had the most beach I had ever seen it have last June....but that still wasn't very much and I am not sure what Ivan did to it....I know they were hit pretty hard. Beachcomber is located next to the loud and somtimes obnoxious Margaritaville. Let me know if you are looking for more details or have any other questions.
Jan 19th, 2005, 09:30 PM

Ditto Caribbean Soul
Jan 20th, 2005, 05:42 AM
Original Poster

thanks for the advice CaribbeanSoul! i think we are definitely looking at cocolapalm but do you know if the standard rooms at Coco are nice? someone else posted something about the standard rooms smelling like sewer.
also, i am traveling with my boyfriend and although we like kids it would be nice not to see too many of them any recommendations? thanks!
Jan 20th, 2005, 06:03 AM

Sewer? First I have ever heard of this. While I have never stayed in their "standard" room....I have a friend that goes every year and stays in their "standard" accomodations and she loves it at CCLP! Isolated things happen everywhere, but rest assured, William and his staff will do what it takes to make sure you are satisified with your room. As far as kids go....there may be a few....but you won't be overrun with them. I would venture to say that 75% of their guests are couples. While CCLP is great for families....don't let that skew your thinking that it is overrun with kids. It is a very romantic, lushly landscaped, well run property on a BEAUTIFUL stretch of beach with the best sunsets in the world!
Jan 20th, 2005, 07:03 AM
Original Poster

after looking at each resort's rooms, the rooms at the beachcomber look nicer than those at coco. i've heard that coco has bought an adjacent hotel where the rooms aren't that great and you might be put there. any thoughts on this?
also, any news on hurricane damage at any of these resorts?
thanks!
Jan 20th, 2005, 07:04 AM

I had a problem with the standard room, but we went when the place was packed and I doubt they even use that room when there are others available. The room was around behind the art gallery, near the road and the view was of Idle Awhile's chain link fence. There was a terrible odor because Idle Awile put its garbage by the fence and the smell of the garbage combined with the constant smell of cooking. I don't think I used the term "sewer" though. We were also awakened very early each morning by banging pots and pans. We felt very isolated from everyone else. Several things were missing from the room so we think it had been used for "spare parts" when the hotel was less crowded. I did not complain right away because I knew we had the cheapest room available and I didn't plan on spending much time in the room. My daughter was very disappointed though because we couldn't sit outside our room at all. When the Air Jamaica agent visited, I asked her opinion of the room and, even though she had seen the property many times, she didn't even know those rooms were there. She told management that those rooms should not be used at all. She was the one who insisted on us being moved - it took a couple of days but they moved us and we felt like a part of the resort. That being said, I still recommend Coco. I would return there in a heartbeat. There are only a few rooms to absolutely avoid - they are the ones that border the chain link fence. If there is a way to be sure you don't get one of them, then you'll be fine. Unless you are going around Spring Break, you probably won't have a problem.
Jan 20th, 2005, 07:06 AM
Original Poster

that's the problem - we are going around spring break! march 9-15.
thanks for your advice!
Jan 20th, 2005, 07:31 AM

They purchased the adjacent Silver Seas long ago....late 90's I believe. They renovated all the rooms in the last 5 years. We were there a few years ago during the renovation. I wouldn't worry about it. They have a stellar reputation and there are many "standard" rooms....not just those that catera ended up in. If you are worried about it, contact the hotel directly and request an upgrade for a nominal fee. If you are going during Spring Break....I wouldn't recommend Beachcomber due to the fact it is right next to Margaritaville....unless you are into that sort of thing, of course. Have a great time wherever you choose to stay. I hope you have found my information to be helpful.
Jan 20th, 2005, 07:47 AM
Original Poster

thanks so much for your advice carribbeansoul and cartera! i think we're leaning towards coco. I'll post an update after our trip! thanks!
Jan 20th, 2005, 08:28 AM

I would choose Rondel. The beachside rooms and villas have all been redone in the last couple of years, it's mid-beach, it has a pool and hot tub (and private hot tubs if you rent a villa). The staff is great, the beach area is lovely and wide, it has a good onsite restaurant that does room service, nice beach bar. Everything works and the regular rooms come with a fridge.

I would NOT do Footeprints, we stayed there for 2 nights only because it was part of a hotel-air package that was cheaper than air-only, and we were glad to leave after the 2 days. As a homebase it's not even great as that area fo the beach is so eroded (and that applies to Beachcomber and Seasplash too, unless things have changed dramatically since early October) that you ahve to walk in the water to walk down the beach...and to the north is mainly AIs so there isn't much to do up there.

Merrills II has lots of beach and is very popular, seems to be mainly Europeans. I've strolled through the property and like the look of it, neat balconies, nice gardens, love the location too.

I like Coco's location but the standard rooms are, I think, actually Coco Inn...not nearly as nice as the other rooms.
Jan 20th, 2005, 08:30 AM

PS: Merrills is a big spring break hotel. Rondel had some students but they mainly partied elsewhere (we were there last March).
Jan 20th, 2005, 11:24 AM

I think you would be fine at either Rondel or Coco. Some of the standard rooms at Coco are from the annexed Coco Inn. We were transferred to a deluxe room that was part of the annex and it was fine. We were there two years ago. I think our room number was 807 - it is the low 800s you want to avoid. We were moved to 819 I believe -still not a part of the original hotel but fine. It may not be that easy to get an upgrade during Spring Break because I would imagine they will be completely booked. It is not a place that appeals to the college crowd though so you shouldn't have a rowdy bunch there but there will be plenty of families.