Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Looking for Negril beach hotel with a pool but not AI

Jun 27th, 2007, 05:51 AM
Original Poster

Hubby and I are going to Negril in May 2008 to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary. We were married at Beaches and want to go back to Negril, but we are trying to avoid an AI this time. We are staying 3 nights at Tensing Pen, but then want to spend another 3 on the beach. This will just be a 6 night trip because we are planning on going back to Italy in the fall.

I was originally looking at Idle Awhile and Country Country, but DH really wants something with a pool. We love the ocean, but sometimes it is nice to have a pool as well. I know Idle Awhile guests can use the Swept Away sports facilities, but we want a pool actually on the property. My concern with some of the hotels Iíve seen that have pools (CocoLaPalm and Rondel) is that they appear to cater to families and we would prefer not to have little children around. No offense, but I canít relax if kids are screaming and splashing next to me!

Are we gonna be forced into an AI to have a pool without little kids? I was hoping for a laid back, casual, not too pricey place for our last three days, but Iím afraid we are going to have to sacrifice something to get that. Any suggestions?
Jun 27th, 2007, 06:19 AM

Coco La Palm would be my first recommendation. I know you are concerned about too many children, but I was just in Negril last week at Idle Awhile and while there were kids at Idle Awhile, there were no kids at CCLP. I think you could end up with kids at any of the non-AI's on the beach. We certainly didn't miss the pool at Idle Awhile, but I do understand if that's a prerequisite. We had an incredibly laid back experience at Idle Awhile even with the kiddos there and their room was right above us! It depends on the kids/parents and your child tolerance level too though.
Jun 27th, 2007, 06:44 AM

Take a look at Negril Treehouse or Seasplash,
Jun 27th, 2007, 06:45 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply! I'll do some more research on Coco LaPalm since it gets good reviews. I realize having a lot of kids around is a chance we could take anywhere that isn't specifically adults only, but considering my tolerance level is pretty low, I want to know all my options up front!
Jun 27th, 2007, 07:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks rastavibes! I'll look at those two as well.
Jun 27th, 2007, 11:56 AM

Most people seem to leave their kids at home. While CCLP is a family friendly resort (most are in Negril), we have never seen but a few (other than our own). CCLP has premier location on the beach with two pools and a hot tub. Both pools are very well maintained and clean. I would recommend this hotel with absolutely no reservation. The staff is top notch.
Jun 27th, 2007, 01:20 PM

I actually got to thinking a little more and I agree with CS -- it seems that most people leave the kiddos at home when going to Negril. It's a bit of a hassle to actually get to Negril and there are "easier" Caribbean destinations with kids. I think most ppl with kids stay in MoBay. Add to that Jamaica having a bit of a reputation for crime, etc. I think there just aren't as many children there in general. We only saw one family with small children during our entire time on the beach. And then we saw people (but still just a few) with older kids (meaning pre-teens and teens). Having said all that I'd consider taking our daughter back in a heartbeat now that I've seen what a neat place it is. I know it can be hard to take the plunge when you're planning a nice romantic getaway, but there could just as easily be some seriously obnoxious adults at an all adult resort so I say go for it and odds are you'll have an amazing time!
Jun 27th, 2007, 04:23 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your replies. You've really helped to ease my mind!

I'm in the process of corresponding with Coco La Palm to check availability. I'm one of those people that has to finalize my plans far in advance, only to end up researching, rethinking and fretting over my decisions until the day we arrive at our destination! That's okay though - I'm lost without a trip to plan! Researching is half the fun.
Jun 27th, 2007, 05:54 PM

You will love Tensing Pen too. We stayed at the Caves, but met a couple staying at TP, so we walked down to visit. If I don't want to foot the bill at the caves next time around...Tensing Pen it will be. It is beautiful!!!!! I agree that you won't miss a pool. We never got in the one at the Caves. Tensing pen's pool is nice, but small.
Jun 28th, 2007, 05:02 AM

We stayed at Coco LaPalm and enjoyed our stay. We stayed in one of the beachfront rooms and you are literally steps from the beach with an awesome view. We went in low season (July) so it was not crowded in general. That said we rarely saw anyone in the pools, the beach is just so nice. The second pool at CLP was always empty except for the same couple. I guess it could be considered more like an adult pool and you can see the beach from the pool deck.
Jun 28th, 2007, 06:41 AM
Original Poster

Beachbum2- I'm really looking forward to Tensing Pen! I remember when we were in Negril back in '98, we went past the cliff hotels (not sure which ones) while on a boat and I thought that would be such a cool place to stay.

Brendandg- I am considering staying in one of the Beachfront rooms at Coco. Did you stay in the upper or lower room? I like the idea of walking directly off the patio onto the beach, but then again, I like the privacy of a second floor patio.
Jun 28th, 2007, 10:21 AM

If you have the budget for it, Moondance Villas has private pools with the larger units, a shared pool for the smaller ones. We never went in our pool, the water in Negril is so perfect for just lounging on a raft or cooling off.
Jun 28th, 2007, 01:18 PM
Original Poster

I'd love to stay at Moondance, but it's just more than we want to spend on this trip! Maybe next time....
Jun 28th, 2007, 02:54 PM

We stayed in room 729, one of the upper beachfront rooms. There are only four rooms in this little "block". I'm sure others may be categorized as beach or oceanfront, but this little block is the best in our opinion as far as location. Even in the upper units, you walk out your door and down a few stairs and you are on the beach. The privacy is obviously better in the uppers. The security guard stands on the beach right by the lower units as it is right by the line that divides IA and CLP. Not that they were intrusive, by the way. The "quieter" pool is also right next to these rooms. The hot tub which is by the main pool is also fantastic. It is surrounded by lots of lush foilage.

Jun 28th, 2007, 04:13 PM

Just to add an option we have enjoyed:

Rondel Village - 2 pools, 2 jacuzzis (plus your own private jacuzzi if you book a villa).

Most of the cool beach places we've stayed haven't had a pool (and we didn't miss it) - Nirvana, Beach House Villas, Whistling Bird.
Jun 29th, 2007, 06:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your input. I don't think we will use a pool much, but it's nice to have that option.