St. John to the Baths

Jan 17th, 2005, 12:06 PM
Original Poster

St. John to the Baths

Hi all. Can anyone give me info on getting from St. John to the Baths? I've read about trips that take you several places, but we're just interested in going to the Baths, hanging out there a while and then coming back.

Thanks!
Jan 19th, 2005, 04:37 AM
Original Poster

Has anyone gone from St. John to the Baths? I'm interested in hearing about how you got there! Thanks.
Jan 19th, 2005, 04:46 AM

You can do a daysail through the New Horizons II. Its a great day trip where you stop at the Baths and a few other locations within the BVIs. Our favorite was the last stop the Soggy Dollar Bar at White Bay on Jost Van Dyke. Its a lot of fun and definitely worth the price. We did this trip back in October of 2003. Check out www.bookitvi.com/horizonp.htm for more information. Good luck! - Susan
Jan 19th, 2005, 05:41 AM

karens, as I understand it, there are three companies that run boat trips to the Baths. These are Limnos, Stormy Petrel and New Horizons II. All three offer day trips. I think they make other stops as part of the day though.

If you want just the Baths, you might have to contract someone privately, which might be more expensive unless you have a small group.
Jan 19th, 2005, 06:09 AM

You could also take the ferry to Virgin Gorda which runs a few times a week, I think. Once there, you could rent a vehicle and explore the island for the day, or take a taxi to Baths area and spend the day there. You can get ferry times on usvi-on-line.com. Another option for you.
Jan 19th, 2005, 08:34 AM

I would be interested in hearing from someone who has taken the ferry. I heard (can't remember where) that the ferry ride, customs stop in Tortola and taxi in Virgin Gorda eats up most of the day and you actually only get a little over an hour to explore the Baths. Any comments?
Jan 19th, 2005, 10:09 AM
Original Poster

Many thanks, all. I tried to search the internet for ferry info and the only thing I could find was ferry info from St. Thomas. Would like to avoid that!

The Soggy Dollar Bar sounds wonderful - it's just that we'll have our two kids with us.

TPat - thanks for the company info. I can check to see if any would be OK with kids.

Many thanks for all your replies, Karen
Jan 19th, 2005, 10:26 AM

karens, I think you can book New Horizons II & Stormy Petrel through
http://www.bookitvi.com

and Limnos through their own website:
http://www.limnoscharters.com

I think the first two might be better with kids as I've heard Limnos is more crowded and rowdy party boat.

I'm sure you can call or e-mail with any questions. We've been wanting to do one of those charters...maybe next trip.

(Thinking about this now is heartbreaking as it's snowing outside...I'd sooo rather be in STJ!!!)
Jan 20th, 2005, 09:46 AM

Karens, we'd stayed on St. Thomas a few years ago and took the Ferry -which stopped @ St. John and then went directly to Virgin Gorda. It was a wonderful way for us to go! We got into a taxi after customs (as did many others) and a caravan of taxis brought us to The Baths and left us there for several hours and then returned later to pick us up and get us to the ferry for it's departure!

Before that, I'd toyed with the idea of Linmos, New Horizons and some others, but like you, we really wanted to spend our time at The Baths... I'm so glad we chose that way to go! We had plenty of time to relax and explore! Make sure you walk-climb over to Devil's Bay while you're at The Baths... it's an unbelievable experience to say the least... awe-inspiring beauty!

We're staying on St. John this March and will be going over to Virgin Gorda again via the Ferry!

ENJOY!!!
Jan 20th, 2005, 11:45 AM

Red Hook, St. Thomas & Cruz Bay, St. John to Virgin Gorda, BVI: Round trip is $50 and takes about 2 hours. Call to reserve a space ahead of time.

Departing Red Hook, St. Thomas:
8:00 A.M. Thursday & Sunday

Departing Cruz Bay, St. John:
8:30 A.M. Thursday & Sunday

Departing Virgin Gorda, BVI:
3:00 P.M. Thursday & Sunday

Ferry service operated by:
Transportation Services (340) 776-6282 and Inter-Island (340) 776-6597

You would have about 4-5 hours on Virgin Gorda. Customs takes 10-15 mins at West End Tortola....maximum. Ferry ride is about 90 mins from STJ.
Jost Van Dyke is awesome, by the way. Don't worry about your children....the Soggy Dollar is an open air shack on the beach....children are "no problem, mon!". White Bay Beach (where SDB is located) is amongst the whitest, most beautiful beaches in the Caribbean....a must see and a must experience!