Barbados excursion quandry!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10th, 2007, 09:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wife and I will have a shore day (9-6pm) in Barbados on Wednesday, Dec. 19, 2007 [NCL Pearl]. We must decide between one of two similar excursions. Perhaps some of you can help us decide or you may have been with one or both in the past.

1) Stephen Tryhane's thriller-ocean-tours. They offer a "Turtle & Shipwreck Snorkeling Adventure". It is 3.5 hours long, costing $50 pp. Includes 3 stops for snorkeling, as well as snacks, beer, rum punch and soft driks. We must, however, make our way from the dock to his location near the center of Bridgetown. It is either a 15 minute walk or can take a shuttle bus at $2 pp.

2) The other is with shasa catamaran cruises i.e shasa Tours. Captain Jason O'neal's Cat is a 30 footer for up to 12 people with unlimited drinks. Cost is $50 pp. The cat makes 2 stops: One to snorkel and swim with turtles and the other is at a shipwreck and coral reef. They, apparently, pick you up at the ship dock

I'm hoping that someone has heard of or has had experience with one or the other of these two providers. Although I'm sure they would both be good, thoughts or opinions much appreciated.

Jay
Old Jun 10th, 2007, 02:59 PM

Did you enjoy the wedding, Jay?
Maybe the Barbados tourist site will have more info. www.barbados.org
Ken
Old Jun 10th, 2007, 04:35 PM
Original Poster

Well what a small world!!!! Thanks for the site.

Jay
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 05:13 AM

If you can take a catamaran tour with just 12 people, I'd always choose that over a multi-stop tour with a huge group. But you will find many better places to snorkel than Barbados, so I'd actually suggest you skip both and try something on land. Or just rent a car and go to the island's beautiful east coast. It's easy to get around, and you can see more of the sights that way.
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 06:01 AM

I agree with Doug about doing mostly land on this special island, except you will lose too much time getting a car for one day--doing paperwork, returning the car, navigating the roads driving on the left. I'd suggest hiring a taxi for specific group of places to see, so that you can avoid large groups in a bus and see exactly what you want. Highlights are Flower Forest, Harrison's Cave, Animal Preserve, Francia Plantation. If you finish with a late lunch at Coral Reef Club, you can snorkel off their beach. I believe there are turtles off the Lone Star Hotel beach, just north of Royal Pavilion Hotel.
Old Jul 6th, 2007, 02:57 PM

Is flower forest the same as animal flowers cave?

Also, is it possible to access a spot to swim with the turtles if one is renting a car? We've driven a moke on Barbados before and loved going out on our own. Driving on the "other" side doesn't bother us.
Old Jul 6th, 2007, 07:44 PM

I believe there are turtles just off the beach at Lone Star Hotel, just north of Royal Pavilion. Animal Flower Cave is at the northern tip of the island in St. Lucy parish. You can walk down and see the waves crashing at the cave entrance. Flower Forest is a spectacular botanical garden/forest in the north central part of the island near Harrison's Cave. Flower Forest must be one of the most spectacular of this type on earth. A visitor once noted in their guest book, "If I owned both Paradise and Flower Forest, I'd rent out Paradise and live in Flower forest."
Old Jul 7th, 2007, 06:29 AM

I would definitely do Stephen's Thriller Tour. We did this on RCCL Adventure of the Seas 6/21 and loved it. Out of 5 shore excursions, this was our favorite. Stephen is a very professional, trustworthy guide and we felt very comfortable being with him. He stays on the boat while his helper Matthew leads the snorkeling expeditions and the turtle swim. Getting to the boat is very simple and only takes about 10 minutes. Also, Stephen makes the most delicious rum punch you've ever tasted! You won't be sorry going with him. When we were there it was absolutley pouring rain so all ship morning excursions were cancelled. By the time our excursion rolled around at 12:30 the weather was fine and we were able to go.
Old Jul 7th, 2007, 06:30 AM

I forgot to mention that there are no more than 12 people on Stephen's tour either. It's a small group. I'll post a link to photos of his boat as soon as I get them up online.
Old Jul 7th, 2007, 09:15 AM

Claudia

Our excursion booklet didn't mention a Thriller tour with swimming with the turtles. Did you do this on your own and if so, was it the same tour mentioned in the first post of this thread? OR, did you do this on one of the other islands? Our booklet does list 'Thriller Dash 'n Splash' in BArbados, but that one only includes a trip to a beach.

Any thoughts?