Search

Barbados- car or not ?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31st, 2003, 04:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Barbados- car or not ?

Going for easter weekend. Do we need to hire a car or not? We would like to go to Oistens fish fry, will it be possible from a gap hotel by cab or bus? Finally, any restaurant suggestions? Thank you.
Old Nov 1st, 2003, 12:30 AM

It is easy to get to Oistins from the Gap by cab and will take only minutes. Re hiring a car- it depends what you want from your holiday. We have hired and gone round the island- the East coast is a must. However,if it is just for restaurants I am sure there are many great restaurants near you but can not recommend any. Can recommend for the west coast though and if you would want to go to the two most well known ( Carambola and the Cliff) it would certainly help if you had a car. BTW if you do want to go to the populr restaurants it would be an idea to book in advance seeing as you are going Easter weekend.Try the site
www.caribline.com for the Barbados travel forum.
Old Nov 1st, 2003, 02:00 AM

Hi,
I visited Barbados Easter weekend this year and we visited the Oistins Fish Festival as well. We stayed at Blue Horizon opposite Accra Beach and were basically on the bus route as getting a bus or local taxi was as easy as walking out the hotel gates.

We rented a car only for one day, Saturday, because we wanted to drive around the island. This was alot of fun, but in the evening traffic was detoured due to the Oistin's Fish Festival and we ended up somewhat lost trying to get back to the hotel. Also, when we went to the festival on Saturday night we had to park the Car in a side street and walk about 5 minutes into Oistins as they were not allowing cars to enter at a certain point; taxis however were free to enter and leave Oistins.

The very first night, Friday night, we caught a mini bus to Oistins and back and it was very easy. If you are in the Gap, all you have to do is walk out to the main road and stop a mini bus.

A car is not essential in Barbados as they have a very efficent taxi, bus and mini bus service which can take you all over the island.And at night, there are taxis waiting as you exit any club, bar or restaurant to take you back to your hotel.

By the way, the Oistin's Fish Festival was a great place to get a good cheap meal, the grilled shrimp was very good.

There are LOTS of good restuarants in Barbados,my suggestion is to visit www.barbados.org and sign up for a tourist "package" where they send you several very good books such as Ins and Outs Barbados, Dining Guide etc. you can also get these when you arrive, but the information is much more useful to have before hand if you want to plan your vacation.
Old Nov 2nd, 2003, 07:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info,will get the package on barb.org. I think we will just rent a car one day to drive around the island.
Old Nov 3rd, 2003, 03:30 AM

Renting a car is not necessary in Barbados. We got around using taxis, and it was fine. We went to the East (Atlantic) coast using a tour, which was very nice. If you do rent a car, the roads are narrow and they drive on the left side.

Restaurants in the Gap are plentiful...we really enjoyed Pisces, and heard some very good things about Bellini's. The TexMex place (name escapes me) was good for drinks/happy hour.

On the West Coast, I would highly recommend Calabaza, Carambola, and Tides. The Cliff is very good, but very expensive, and you can get the same quality food plus a beautiful view at all of the above places.