Search

Barbados help, please

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25th, 2006, 04:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Barbados help, please

My husband & I are planning our first trip to Barbados. A little info about us might make answering my questions easier. We're in our early 40's. We've been to Bermuda (twice), GC (twice), St. Thomas (with day trips to St. John & Virgin Gorda)& T & C way back before the tourists found it. When I'm on vacation, I like to see some of the culture, eat well, enjoy the beach and I love day trips & being on boats. Hubby gets restless easily & likes to keep moving.He likes snorkelling, but not just being on a boat. And probably the most important thing about me: Champagne taste on a beer budget! With that in mind, my questions are:

1. Does it sound like Barbados is a good choice for us?

2. Bougainvillea or Southern Palms? Bougainvillea looks like it's more my taste, but I'm slightly concerned about the construction. I read that Southern Palms gets mostly European clients, which I'd love! Is that true for most resorts too?

3. Which is closer to the Gap?

4. Restaurant suggestions? I like eating like a local & always try new foods (suggestions on what to try would be appreciated too). Hubby is not adventurous when it comes to food. We also enjoy having a fancy dinner or two. Which of the two resorts that I mentioned has better food?

5. Which has the better spa? (I just might splurge!)

6. Day trip / boat suggestions.

7. Would you reccomend renting a car?

8. Any other sugestions / ideas/information would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!
Old Aug 25th, 2006, 05:37 AM

We are going down to Bds for the 4th time in October staying at the Bougainvilleia. I've stayed at the Southern Palms a couple of years ago and loved it. They upgraded us to a suite when we checked in. The SP is def. closer to the gap and within walking distance of a ton of restaurants. The Boug. is a little further south. The only reason we chose Boug. this time is because it was cheaper, and it's probably due to the construction. But, I'm hoping that most of the heavy/noisy stuff is complete by Oct (they started in Jan I think) and it will be much quieter.

I didn't use the spa at SP so can't comment. But the beach is divine! And the food at the beach bar was great for lunch. The main rest. was a little too overpriced and being so close to the gap it was just easier to take a walk.

For snorkeling, we've gone on small cats which was great for swimming with the turtles, etc., but I don't know if they are still in business. You can also go to Folkstone Marine Park and snorkel from the shore. It is within walking distance to a good many restaurants and shops too.

There are a ton of good restaurant in the Gap. Harlequinn, Josefs, Bellinis, on and on.

This is the first year we are renting a car. Past years we got by without. It all depends are your comfort level with renting a car and driving around.

Have fun! I love Bds. The people are wonderful and the economy is very good.

Peace, Greenie
Old Aug 25th, 2006, 06:10 AM

The south coast hotels have beaches with not calm water, so you'll have to drive to west coast beaches north of Bridgetown for snorkeling. If you are OK with driving on the left side (speeds on B'dos are slow, so it's fairly easy), renting a car is the way to go. You'll be able to sightsee at your pace w/o crowds. Get a good road map. The island is loaded with great sights. Spectacular tropical gardens like Flower Forest & Andromeda Gardens, Harrison's Cave, wildlife preserve, restored plantation houses like Francia Plantation & Sunbury House, rum factory. An interesting day trip involves flying to Union Island in the Grenadines, then taking a sailboat or catamaran thru the Grenadines to snorkeling spots. It is a spectacular remote getaway. See www.barbados.org
Old Aug 25th, 2006, 06:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to both of you for answering! Very helpful. Greenie, we're also going in October. What week are you going? We're planning on the 21st-28th.
Old Aug 25th, 2006, 07:34 AM

That's when we're going! We are staying at Boug. See you there!

Peace, Greenie
Old Aug 25th, 2006, 07:35 AM

Also forgot to mention that I have been in October before and much prefer that time of year. There are no crowds! The weather is a little less stable but not too bad. You still need your strongest sunscreen!!

Peace, Greenie
Old Aug 25th, 2006, 08:00 AM
Original Poster

Well, that settles it Greenie! The Boug wins over the Palms! I was leaning that way anyway. It seems quieter. Maybe we'll run into each other.
Old Aug 25th, 2006, 03:47 PM

Definitely! We are in our early 40's too. We'll have to get together for a drink!

Peace, Brenda (Greenie) and Phil
Old Aug 25th, 2006, 04:04 PM
Original Poster

I'm looking forward to it. Where are you from?
Old Aug 25th, 2006, 06:29 PM

a mini fodors get together. yeah !! i just did some research for a trip to barbados and thought the coast around bathsheba looked very dramatic. also read that gibbs beach is good for snorkel from shore.
Old Aug 26th, 2006, 03:38 AM

We are from Atlanta. It's fantastic that Delta is flying direct now. That means no more late arrivals in Bds.

Peace, Greenie
Old Aug 26th, 2006, 04:21 AM
Original Poster

I just booked the trip! (and, now I'll be bouncing off the walls until October 21st! lol)

Greenie, we connect in Atlanta. We're coming from upstate NY.

Virginia, are you going to join us?

This reason for this trip was that I very much needed some romantic quality time with hubby....but it might just turn into a big party!
Old Aug 26th, 2006, 05:22 AM

hi ruffian, unfortunately barbados is a no go for us this fall. we were planning with others who now cannot go. SO, off to rent a casa approx 10 mins north of tulum oct22 to nov6. oh but it would have been fun though!
Old Aug 26th, 2006, 02:51 PM

Great! We will surely be on the same van to the hotel. I'm having my rental car delivered to the hotel.

See you in Bds!

Peace, Greenie