Niagara on the Lake Hotels

Apr 5th, 2007, 02:21 PM
Original Poster

Niagara on the Lake Hotels

Hello

Which Inn would you suggest for being one of the better ones in the area. Riverbend Inn and Winery, Charles Inn, Queens Landing,
Prince of Wales, or any others that are luxury?

Thanks for any help
Joanie
Apr 5th, 2007, 05:02 PM
BAK

One thing to figure out is whether you want to be right in the heart of downtown,which means you can walk around in the evening and return to your hotel, or are happy enough to be father from fowntown.

BAK
Apr 6th, 2007, 06:56 AM
Original Poster

Hello:

It really doesn't matter if we are right in the town or just outside of it, we have our car.

What is your thought on Prince of Wales Hotel? Thanks for helping.

Joanie
Apr 6th, 2007, 01:27 PM

I will give you a little info on each of the places you listed:

The Riverbend is really a grand old B&B, and is on the Parkway, so a bit of a hike to the main drag of NOTL. I have never stayed there, only passed it several times on my way from NOTL to the Falls.

The Charles Inn is on the main street, is more of a small inn, and has its own delicious restaurant. It is a very beautiful old property. Having said that, I prefer another property in NOTL owned by the same people as the Charles Inn. It is called the Harbour House Inn. It is wonderful. Check out their website to see for yourself.

Queens Landing is nice, large, a perhaps a little tired looking.

The Prince of Wales is very decadent-looking, but the rooms are on the small side, unless you are getting a suite.

Hope that this helps. My choice would be the Harbour House. I have stayed there 3 times and have not been disappointed.
Apr 6th, 2007, 08:44 PM
hdm

The Oban Inn has recently been renovated and looks lovely. It has a spa, a pool, gardens, is on (almost) the waterfront, and is a block from the main street.
Apr 7th, 2007, 07:45 AM

Hi Joanada~
I haven't stayed at the Oban since the renovations, or at Harbour House, but have stayed at the Riverbend Inn, Queen's Landing and the Prince of Wales.

For luxury Prince of Wales has lots to offer but as mentioned, the rooms are rather small unless you splurge for a suite. Queen's Landing is very nice but rather too large for our liking now.

We actually really love Riverbend and must say it is much more than a B&B! The property has lovely rooms, an intimate dining room with gourmet selections, a piano/bar lounge perfect for a nightcap and a gorgeous patio overlooking vineyards and Peller Estates. It does not have a spa, but you can always find that elsewhere. We love the fact it is on the edge of town, overlooking the Niagara Parkway.....and privately owned. Harbour House is a lovely property, but it is next to the Whirlpool Jet office. It means it's within walking distance to theatre or shopping though....but does not have a dining room and only serves breakfast.

The other area that's sometimes overlooked but very close to Niagara on the Lake, is the Twenty Valley region. Inn on the Twenty is a fabulous property with a spa, fantastic restaurant, and gorgeous rooms....some with lofts, some with their own private garden courtyard. Perfect for morning coffee or sipping wine. We've really enjoyed our stays there and find the wineries in the area, and the little town of Jordan interesting to explore.

http://www.innonthetwenty.com/
http://www.20valley.ca

The drive into Niagara on the Lake on the backroads is pleasant and gives you a glimpse of more of the region too. Whether you stay there or not, I can recommend visiting Jordan, and having lunch at the Inn or one of the nearby wineries like Vineland, Peninsula Ridge or Angel's Gate.

Hope that helps.

Apr 9th, 2007, 01:46 PM
Original Poster

Hello

Thanks for all your help. We have been to Jordan and love the dining room there.

I think we might opt for Riverbend, it looks lovely, and we don't need to be in town. It would be nice to stay on a winery estate.

Joanie
Apr 12th, 2007, 01:37 PM

For a great meal try Stoneroad Grille!
Apr 12th, 2007, 02:32 PM
wow

jamierim: Is that the one that has "REST" on its sign?

About Oban Inn: We were there on Sunday for Easter Brunch & it was wonderful. The food was really great. However, I liked the dining room better when it overlooked the golf course & Lake. They have turned that part into a spa. Waste of a view IMHO. Now the Dining Room is where the former bar/casual dining area used to be. It overlooks the street! It's a nice open solarium but wld be even nicer if it overlooked the Lake & golf course!!
Apr 12th, 2007, 04:32 PM

Yup! REST = Stoneroad Grille and it is great!
Apr 12th, 2007, 09:04 PM
wow

Hi, Jamierin! Funny...b/c you'd never know it from the street! I have heard rave reviews about it b/f so I guess we will have to try it! What wld you rec? What did you have?
Apr 14th, 2007, 07:13 AM

Haven't been for a year, but I remember their signature chicken dish was excellent - Charlie something chicken I think.

They change their menu with the season.

Cocktails and desserts were also really delish!
Apr 17th, 2007, 09:53 AM

We've eaten at Stoneroad Grille a few times and always found something tremendous on the menu. Very reasonable pricing for gourmet dining too.
http://www.stoneroadgrille.com/
Jul 19th, 2007, 04:06 PM

bookmarking