Niagara-On-The Lake accommodation assistance, please -

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5th, 2007, 09:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We just got wind of Niagara-On-The-Lake, it looks fabulous, and are interested in making reservations for May of next year. May 1st starts their "high season", unfortunately. I have searched through some of the suggested locations and am getting rates of $275 up a night. Isn't there anyplace out there THAT IS NICE in the $200 range? I want to get going on this as a few of the places I did check-out are already booked.

Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks -
Old Nov 5th, 2007, 01:54 PM

Hi Pam,
The accomodations in Niagara on the Lake do tend to be pricey but you may be able to find some in the $200 range using the Chamber of Commerce website----the properties are divided in price ranges. There are some really wonderful B&B's in the under $200 range as well.

http://www.niagaraonthelake.com/acco...com/content.do

The Charles Inn doesn't show availability online but it may just be that they aren't booking that far ahead yet. It would be worthwhile calling.

A very charming little village just outside Niagara on the Lake is Jordan, which has several properties to offer as well:

http://www.jordanhouse.ca/
and
http://www.innonthetwenty.com

We've stayed at the latter and really loved our stay. As well, the Inn has a fabulous restaurant and is only a few minutes drive from our favourite winery restaurant at Vineland Estates:
http://www.vineland.com/

Hope that gives you a few more options.
Old Nov 6th, 2007, 05:43 AM

Hi - we stay in NOTL once or twice per year. It depends what you would like in the way of facilities/amenities attached to your accommodations. You've probably found the "Vintage Inns" which are very high end. In addition there are dozens of bed and breakfasts, some in renovated Victorian homes and Inns, although many of these are not inexpensive either. I think many start charging "high season" rates in May which not only coincides with the arrival of nicer weather, but also the start of the Shaw Festival (very popular and well-known seasonal live theatre).

A few places we've paid less than $200 (although we often visit in the "shoulder" or off season:
Old Bank House - a small Inn, OK rooms, good beds, good breakfasts, good location down by the lake and 2 blocks from the main street.
The Weatherpine Inn - room we had was smallish and a little cramped, but high quality bed and furnishings, OK breakfast. Location a little farther, several blocks (15 + minute walk) to main street.
Moffat Inn - great location right on main street next door to one of the big Vintage Inns, no breakfast included (but available in restaurant downstairs), room was simple but comfortable enough.
Wheaten Manor - stayed here years ago and don't remember details except that the bed was good and the breakfast very good. A few blocks walk to the main street.
None of the above offer big hotel amenities, they're a place to sleep and have breakfast (although a few may offer outside sitting areas). I'm sure Tobie T's website will be helpful, and a google search for Niagara-on-the-Lake bed and breakfast will give you other websites as well.
Old Nov 6th, 2007, 06:20 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Tobie and Mat for you suggestions. The Vineland Estates looks like a marvelous winery, plus the menu sounds yummy. After reading your posts and having checked out the internet a bit yesterday, we are going to rethink our arrival date, go later in the year, stay in a nicer inn or hotel and go to the Carolinas in May. We have always wanted to take that trip as well, and May might be a good time to visit that neck of the woods. I have taken good notes as we DEFINITELY still want to go to NOTL. The dollar doesn't go quite as far in Canada either, but it is still stronger than the pound or Euro.

Again - MANY thanks!!
Old Nov 6th, 2007, 12:16 PM

Pam~ Glad to help with information--- whenever you decide to visit. We really love staying at the Riverbend Inn in Niagara on the Lake but it's usually for a special occasion so I don't mind "splurging".
http://www.riverbendinn.ca/

Our visit to the Carolinas was in mid-April and the azaleas were in full bloom. Gorgeous!! Have a great time.
Old Nov 6th, 2007, 01:14 PM
wow

Moffatt Inn is now owned by Vintage.
Vintage owns Queen's Landing, Pillar & Post, Prince of Wales, Moffatt Inn & there may be another one...can't recall.
Old Nov 6th, 2007, 01:38 PM

wow~ I think the Oban Inn is also a Vintage property now.
Old Nov 6th, 2007, 03:24 PM
wow

Tobie, it gets confusing. A woman by the name of Lai (sp?) used to run Vintage Inns . Vintage Inns did own The Oban Inn. But Ms. Lai is no longer associated w/ Vintage Inns. However, she did retain ownership/operation of The Oban Inn. The Lai family(excluding Ms. Lai), among others, now own Vintage Inns.

We used to go to The Oban Inn a lot for brunch & dinner. Last time we went there for Brunch it was terrible. Food was awful, service very bad. They used to have a lovely dining room overlooking the golf course & the Niagara River. Ms. Lai gutted that &, if you can believe it, turned that spectacular dining location into a spa! Now the dining room @ The Oban is located in what used to be the patio/bar area.
Old Nov 7th, 2007, 05:24 AM

wow~ We've only walked by the Oban since the reno but friends reported the same thing as you. I cannot imagine why the gorgeous view of the golf course and river was blocked by the spa walls.

I didn't know the "conglomerate" had parted ways so thanks for clearing that up.
Old Nov 7th, 2007, 10:02 AM
hdm

As others have said, NOTL is generally pricey at that time of year. If there's a possibility of you going in April, you may get better rates PLUS the Shaw Festival won't be open yet but it will be in previews and you can get less expensive preview tickets.

Did someone suggest that you stay in Niagara Falls and drive the short distance into NOTL?
Old Nov 9th, 2007, 05:53 AM

wow, we are very upset about what has happened to the Oban Inn too. It was always one of our favourite places and the atmosphere has been completely destroyed along with the pub where locals used to hang out and sing around the piano.

Have you moved back to Market Square like you planned?
Old Nov 9th, 2007, 10:19 AM
wow

Hi, moolyn: I know what you mean. It difficult to understand what the thinking was when they "ruined" the place. I would have thought that the Oban Inn was proetcted under some historical designation. Remember when it burned to the ground & the former owners rebuilt a replica? To think that such care went into rebuilding it & then to have its original state willfully destroyed is a bit much to fathom.

I am not back at MS but still planning to get there. Are you still there?
Old Nov 11th, 2007, 01:49 PM

PamNC, a woman I know raves about Allison House and stays there twice a year; she loves the food and the decor. The house is quite substantial as it originally served as the local school. I often pass it on my morning walk and admire the beautiful gardens. http://www.allisonhouse.ca/

The Shaw Festival website has a lot of great information about Notl and area including an extensive list of accomodations: http://www.shawfest.com/

wow, I remember the Oban fire very well. It was a very windy night and our fireplace wasn't drawing well. We could hear sirens as we ate Christmas dinner with family members. The next morning we heard about the fire from friends who had been at the Oban for dinner that evening.

Pam and wow, you can contact me directly: [email protected]