Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Has anyone heard of a company called"Canadian Family Vacations"(I believe)

Apr 1st, 2006, 11:57 AM
Original Poster

We checked out a travel store in Cambridge this morning..one that was recommended by one of my husband's employees. A wholesale concept where you pay $3,000.00 for a 5 year membership..this entitles you sell offs, and condo availibility at low prices, etc. As usual, we are quite skeptical and wonder if you know anything about them. We won't even entertain the concept of timeshares! There are 4 offices in the GTA. Just curious!
Apr 1st, 2006, 08:48 PM

Hi, I've never heard of this but I would be skeptical as well. Have you considered house swapping. Are you in Cambridge Eng. or Ontario. I know I'm looking for someone to stay in my house for 3 weeks end of june and early july. The catch is there will be my 18 and 20 year old boy's there as well. They are allowed no friends over and must clean after themselves daily. We booked a trip to Australia with our 15 yr old and now it looks like our 18 and 20yr olds will be moving home from school??? We thought they were working out of town. Any suggestions? I just want to make sure my house is standing after my trip. My kids are good. I just worry if other kids know they are alone.
Apr 2nd, 2006, 04:47 AM

I'm not at all sure it's the same company, Horatio, but did they say where the other locations are in GTA?
In Burlington there is a place called "Family Vacation Centre" and my friend was invited to a 'meeting' there. Sure enough, it was time share in disguise. They heard the spiel and left.

My other thought is that you don't have to spend that kind of money to get sell offs. There are enough sell offs in the Toronto Star travel section and other sources .
I don't blame you for being sceptical. I would be too. Timeshares??'d run a mile in the other direction!!!
Apr 3rd, 2006, 03:45 AM
Original Poster

Interesting..the owner of this company does head an office in Burlington so must be the one!
Jul 20th, 2007, 10:33 AM

Just to clear up an important distinction between "travel clubs" such as this and real timeshare products, it is important to note that you have no protection whatsoever should the company collapse. You don't own anything, there is no trust mechanism in place to ensure that your investment is protected, and they could fold their tent tomorrow. My advice is to STAY AWAY from any 'travel club' or other scheme that does not have deeds or titles to REAL inventory because their whole raison d'etre is to charge you a lot of money for 'air'.