Upscale Niagara weekend?

Search

Upscale Niagara weekend?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17th, 2006, 08:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Upscale Niagara weekend?

Hi there - my husband and I are looking for a romantic getaway weekend in the Niagara area. Should we stay at the falls at a B&B (not interested in a chain type place) or should we go to Niagara on the Lake? Any specific accomodation recommendations appreciated! We will be going over memorial day.

Thanks!
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 08:53 AM

For romance, I'd choose NOTL.
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 12:15 PM

My husband and I are headed to Niagara on the Lake to celebrate our first anniversary. We are staying at the Queen's Landing and seeing a Shaw Festival play. We've heard that it's a nice hotel, but I'll have more of an update in a few weeks! (We'll be away end of April - beginning of May.)

I've been to NOTL before, and stayed at a B&B. It was OK - our B&B was nice, but not necessarily quaint, charming or romantic. (Seemed like a regular house.) I'm hoping our stay at Queen's Landing meets our expectations.
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 03:47 AM

Take a look at the Harbour House hotel in NOTL:

www.harbourhousehotel.ca
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 08:28 AM

Harbour House is very nice, but the setting is next to the Whirlpool Jet office, where it can be noisy and very busy.

One advantage to Queen's Landing is its location, a short walk from the theatre and main street. Their patio overlooking the water is a lovely spot for lunch and I've certainly always enjoyed my stays there.

But my personal favourite is The Riverbend Inn on the Niagara Parkway, and I've stayed at most of the hotels in the area. It has a lovely setting, friendly staff, spacious rooms, and at breakfast, you can sit on the patio overlooking the vineyards.
http://www.riverbendinn.ca/

If you don't mind staying a little farther out from Niagara on the Lake, another gorgeous property is The Inn on the Twenty. And they have one of the finest dining rooms in the area.
http://www.innonthetwenty.com/

Besides theatre, and browsing in galleries and shops, I'd recommend spending some time visiting wineries and touring the area. It's simply beautiful... and romantic.

wineriesofniagaraonthelake.com/
http://20valley.ca/index.php

You'll have a wonderful time! There's a reason my husband and I keep going back.
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 04:03 PM

I second (third? fourth?) the motion for Niagara on the Lake. Niagara Falls has some fine hotels, but is also can be very tacky touristy (as opposed to the classy touristy of NOTL).

I have stayed at Harbour House, the Prince of Wales, the Pillar and Post and a B&B- Lakewinds.

Of those I would recommend Lakewinds. Harbour House and Prince of Wales were good upmarket hotels but for romance, Lakewinds is the way to go.

(P.s. Avoid the Pillar and Post... I was disappointed. Poor maintenence, unfriendly staff, and rooms that appear not to have been updated since the 80s. Definately not worth the $$)
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 05:07 PM

Niagara-on-the-lake! Often, the inns will offer a "romantic special". Go to www.niagara-on-the-lakelodging.worldweb.com
for all the details including online booking for a variety of Inns/B-and-B accommodation.
Have fun!
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 06:51 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much for your recommendations. We've definitely decided on NOTL - we wanted to spend one night in a B&B and the rest in a hotel so we chose the Queen's Landing. The B&B is The Old Bank House - is anyone familiar with it?

We are definitely going to eat at The Inn on the Twenty - that looks amazing!
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 08:42 AM

Hi there!
Every year, some friends and I take a wine-tasting trip to Niagara, and we have dinner at the Inn on Twenty. I really enjoy it. If you have a chance, get there a little early, as there are great antique shops, craft stores, and a wine shop right there. It will be fun (for you, at least!) to have a little browse around. Have fun!
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 07:50 PM

So glad you decided on a wonderful experience at On the Twenty. And Jordan Village and Cave Spring Winery are definitely a must!

But if you've got a recommendation here for Lakewinds...and it sounds amazing, why not stay there? Is it already booked? Here are some other reviews:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...e_Ontario.html

Old May 8th, 2006, 10:27 AM

Just got back from a trip which included a stay at the Queen's Landing. We really enjoyed it. The proximity to town and to the theater was excellent. There's also a historic fort very nearby and walking trails.

We had a wonderful breakfast in the hotel. It was buffet style, but everything was well made and delicious.

We did make it over to Niagara Falls to see the falls - and were a little disappointed. These are not the falls I knew as a kid! (I grew up a few hours away and my husband's from Buffalo.) We had seen a documentary recently that reported that with the recent building of high-rise hotels near the falls, the wind patterns have changed, causing mist to be redirected back toward the falls. Either our memories have failed us, or this statement has proven to be true. There was a quite a bit of mist blocking the really fantastic view of the Horseshoe falls that we remembered having as kids.
Old May 9th, 2006, 09:21 AM

Glad you had a wonderful time in Niagara on the Lake.

The area around the Falls has changed so much...I did notice more mist last time too, but didn't realize it might be a daily occurence.
Old May 10th, 2006, 11:11 PM

Upscale = NOTL (not the falls area). You will love the Queen's Landing. The Prince of Wales is also very nice (with a great spa; the Queens Landing does not have a spa.)

The Old Bank House is a great location, right across from the park near the waterfront, and very easy walking distance to the center of town. I don't know about the quality of the accomodations, but it looks nice from the outside.

There are many B&B's in NOTL and the quality and ambience of the accomodations varies from quaint and charming (i.e., the Cranberry House) to just a plain house like you would find on any street in any town.

Have fun on your weekend ...