Sydney at night for Kids

May 17th, 2002, 06:46 AM
Sheldon

Sydney at night for Kids

I've been at this Australian forum for a week now and the help and advice here is simply fantastic.

My trip with my wife and 4-year-old is in June this year. What do we do at night besides eating out? Are there places we should avoid? I don't want to spend nights in the hotel. Thanks.

May 18th, 2002, 06:33 AM
Alan

Hi, Sheldon!

I'm afraid that I have little to offer here, but I thought I would at least respond so that, if nothing else, this will get your post back to the top where someone might see it. I don't see a great deal of joy for you here... like most other cities that I have been to, Sydney is not geared for nights on the town with four-year-old children! There are amusement parks like Australia's Wonderland (not in the city at all, but a forty-five minute drive west) but in June, as the weather cools down, even they close their doors early. The places that never seem to close -- like the George Street Cinema strip and King's Cross, are fast becoming so tacky that I wouldn't let my children near the places after dark. What you really need to do is hire a baby-sitter to look after Junior in the hotel room while you venture out without him. Do you have any kind of contact in Sydney -- maybe through your business -- who could organise someone reliable on your behalf? Maybe someone will come up with a better idea, but I really think that without a baby-sitter you will end up doing what you don't want to do... watching the 8:30 movie every night in your hotel!
I hope someone else has some brighter suggestions!

May 18th, 2002, 09:10 PM
marg

You could take the ferry across to Manly for dinner and a walk along the beach. The city from the harbour at night is pretty spectacular. Have dinner in the Rocks and then check out the buskers at Darling Harbour and Circular Quay.

May 19th, 2002, 06:00 PM
Sheldon

Thanks Alan, for the honest note on this topic (also for putting this back near the top of the list!).

johnmargh, If we go over to Manly for the evening and then back dinner at the Rocks, is it easy/safe to get back to my hotel at Pacific International Suites? Or do i have to take a bus to somewhere nearby and walk back?

May 20th, 2002, 01:03 AM
Kim

Hi Sheldon,

I would definately consider going out in Darling Harbour. It would be better if you could go there late afternoon when it is still light, however it is quite well lit at night. What might be appealing to you is the fact that there is a fair amount of play equipment that your child might enjoy, but of course you'd have to stay fairly close as there can be other children running around. Also in Darling Harbour there is smallish shopping centre and a large selection of restaurants and cafes for you to choose from. For your own interest sake there is also a movie theatre called IMAX, which has a huge screen and shows documentary and 3D shows. Darling Harbour is quite a good place on the weekend on a warm day as it is lively and good for walking around.

May 20th, 2002, 03:21 PM
Matt

Darling Hbr is a nice place during the day, but to be avoided at night. Loads of muggings there lately, according to news reports.

May 21st, 2002, 12:13 AM
marg

Sheldon,
re walking in the city at night - best to ask at the reception desk in your hotel where it is safe to be after dark. I haven't been in Sydney for a few years and don't know what conditions are like. I would definitely avoid Kings Cross/Oxford Street after dark - not the best place to be with a small child.

May 21st, 2002, 01:12 AM
Sheldon

Wow. Sigh. Guess that pretty much wraps-up nights out with my son after 7pm?

Thanks Kim, Darling Harbour has quite alot for us throughout the day with the Aquarium, IMAX, Segaworld, Fisherman's market, HSC... enough to keep us occupied for a day or two!

Muggings eh? Ah well, how about the Chinatown area? Is it a place to avoid too? Asking the hotel staff is a good idea, one of the first things we'll do when we check-in.

One thing i've noticed, there's not much talk about Fox Studios and Segaworld on the 'net'. Is it that new or is it not that popular?

May 21st, 2002, 06:48 AM
Alan

Hi again, Sheldon!

Fox Studios lost a great deal of money on their "theme park", and for good reason.. it was vastly overpriced, and locals scrupulously avoided it. Fox has now reassigned the site of the theme park to additional production facilities.

Chinatown is as safe as anywhere else until around 10 p.m., but I don't think there's much going on there after that. Don't let the report of muggings turn you off... Sydney is generally a very safe city, but the golden rule here, as anywhere, is walk where the crowds walk... if you see that a place is deserted, assume there's nothing to see there and keep away. The main concern I think most posters have here is not for your safety, but for your child's sensibilities.... Kings Cross, George St Cinema complex, and Oxford Street are always lively, but they are just not kids' areas.
But, fear not! You and your family will enjoy Sydney in the daylight hours!

May 23rd, 2002, 07:25 PM
george

Hi Sheldon,
I may be an old fogey, but I agree that your best bet would be to do your sightseeing and kid's activities through the day, and if you want some nightlife, hire a babysitter and leave him safely cared for at your hotel while you and your wife venture out after dark. Shouldn't junior be in bed by 7-8pm?
Your hotel should be able to organise a qualified babysitter for you.
Regardless, hope you do enjoy your holiday.
George

May 23rd, 2002, 11:29 PM
Sheldon

We really appreciate the concern shown here. We don't know anyone in Sydney since its our first time, i guess we'll give baby-sitters a pass. Anyhow, our son is pretty 'sticky' and he'll be too afraid to spend even a few hours with a stranger.

We've more or less decided to head out very early everyday for the scrumptious breakfast joints all over and spend the evenings cooking up a feast with the hotel's kitchenette. What with all the fresh fish and bountiful ingredients available, dinner will be an event all by itself!

I know it's been said many times on this forum before but anyway, we can't wait to get there! It's pure agony just counting the days....=]