Reload this Page >

Ningaloo Reef/Coral Bay- W.A.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27th, 2002, 09:36 AM
cath

Has anyone been to Coral Bay before. Can you walk straight off the beach and go snorkelling. Is there anywhere to get a meal or a shop to buy meat, veg, bread etc.<BR>What would the weather be like at xmas time. I hear that Coral Bay remain a constant temperature all year round and does not get affected by cyclones. Is there any truth to that. My main reason to go would be for damn good snorkelling along the reef.<BR>Any info is appreciated. Info about Exmouth and the National Park would be handy also.

Old Apr 27th, 2002, 01:53 PM
G'day

Anyone who says that Coral Bay does not get cyclones is telling porkies - because ANY tropical area by the sea can and does get cyclones - perhaps not the year you are there, perhaps not last year but could any year. Also depending on where you are from that area is very far from just about everything and there is nothing in between either.

Old May 3rd, 2002, 10:31 AM
cath

I actually live in Perth and am very aware of the distance, it's an 11 hour drive.<BR>I got the info about Coral Bay and it's weather from a Coral Bay website which is why I wanted to speak to someone who has been there. According to the website it misses the brunt of the wet season.<BR>Thanks G'day but I am not an overseas tourist who thinks Coral Bay is 10kms down the road.

Old May 6th, 2002, 10:49 PM
marg

We were in Coral Bay a few years ago. It has a small hotel and two caravan parks plus a general store. Although we didn't snorkel, we watched people going snorkelling right off the beach as the reef is very close to the shore.<BR>Exmouth is (I think) about another 60 km further away. Unless you are driving, I would imagine you would have to fly to Exmouth and then pick up a hire car to get to Coral Bay. You can also go diving from Exmouth - I presume you are aware that you can go diving to see the whale sharks.

Old May 25th, 2002, 06:27 PM
Liz

Exmouth Coral Bay region are certainly in 'Cyclone Alley' but at the bottom end of it as they call it up here. Cyclone season is from Oct to May. Thing is... its a chance you take Exmouth was hit by a cyclone about 6 yrs ago. I wouldn't let it stop me from going on a holiday but it is nice to be aware. The weather is hot at Christmas. Exmouth would be the best place for a base and travel to Coral Bay from here. Exmouth is small town with fair and reasonable facilites as Coral Bay is more a tiny seaside Resort with both budget and expensive accomodation not a great deal more from my observation. The National park 30km from exmouth is great, snorkelling and fishing just off the beach,the most sedate Roos you've ever seen. There are several tour operators in Exmouth with a variety of tours probably taking Coral Bay in.